Big donors out there at Wisconsin?

Started by leg turk, October 19, 2017, 01:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coachn

If Nothing changes, Nothing changes!  When will it change. From time to time, I read how good we will be next year.  Why would any big donor donates to a non exciting program.  Can I get good recruits and if we get good recruits, can we keep them? A good coach would not lose a Freshman NCAA Champion leave after his Freshman yr.How does that happen?  A donor does not want to see his/her money wasted.

MNbadger

GYP, What makes you state that SDSU has a better program than UW?  They finished behind the Badgers last year I think.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

MNbadger

GYP, I agree with the fact that SDSU is building.  Facilities do matter. We (the Gophers) have been waiting for a long time for a facilities upgrade.  I do think one has to wait until SDSU starts finishing ahead of UW with regularity to decide if it is a better program though.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

GradeTough

The momentum of the program is what is getting folks excited about SDSU. I don't doubt the results will follow based on their recruiting efforts. They are generating the buzz and gaining recognition and attention. Witness the evidence by the volume of messages on this thread. UW is just not an attractive option at this time. The comments on UW is not at the same level as SDSU even though the "results" might not be there yet.

TylerBRTC

That's a cool thing Rutgers has going. It would be awesome if that would happen at Wisconsin. Would like to see UW make that step. Good stuff right there. The Scarlet Knight Wrestling Club (RTC) has played a big role in bringing some of this change. That started in 2010 with extreme focus and lead by an individual who does an amazing job coaching and leading that thing. Doesn't have the credentials of the others but does it well. In some ways we are copying that model with the BRTC. Can't wait to see what happens with us in a shorter amount of time.

I love that there are programs around the nation we can look to, to get ideas and follow their lead. We have to remember we can learn from them, but we are not them. The state of WI is not frenzied about wrestling like it is in NJ. I spent a couple years on staff there, I know what the wrestling culture is like there. We are not MN, with the systems in place and things working together for multiple reasons. We are not IL who seem to have a special thing going. (I'm talking HS now if you can't tell). We NEED to learn from them, but it is not apples to apples. I think that is worth noting and recognizing as we move forward. I believe that if the state is unified we can make up and gain ground very quickly. That could take some changes or it could just be aligning.

I look forward to listening to @benakren's pod cast this weekend and learning from Bono. That guy is special and exciting. Fun to see wrestling getting better at SDSU. I know for a fact the UW staff has been having multiple, multiple conversation with the administration over the past THREE years about season tickets and it sounds like next year that is going to happen. But four years of going through the red tape to get something that lots of other universities have had... you can't just say, MAKE IT HAPPEN or work your butt off, because the system is broken. I am not making excuses, I am just stating reality. FOUR years of meetings!

I too find it disheartening that many kids don't have gear for UW. BRTC is working on a few things to make gear more available...  hopefully it won't take four years, but we will see. I would throw this challenge out there, if you are truly disheartened about it, get them some gear ;)
Example for you: just last week a hammer crew of kids joined the BRTC for a workout and they were wearing AWA stuff. I think AWA is doing some amazing stuff, have no problems or issues with them, and I want to work more with them in the future, but I understand the importance of the BRTC and UW. Because of NCAA compliance stuff BRTC can't give gear away but I was able to have some meetings with compliance, yes I thought it was worth it to spend over 3 hours of my time, to find a way to get these guys gear without it costing them. I wanted them to represent BRTC (and by default UW because people don't understand the difference) where ever they went. It took my own money, time, and energy to make it happen... don't say you want it to happen but don't explore what role you can play in it. Build the enthusiasm from where you are. Get excited about what is happening and find ways to support it even if you don't agree with everything that is happening. Please make your concerns known and challenge, but don't just say you wish something would happen and do nothing about it.

Honest question, has anyone on the UW coaching staff been on Askren's podcast? Sorry I have not listened to many episodes. How can we use what is happening already in the state to make known what is happening at the UW? It is sad to know that many people know more about other universities then about their home state. That needs to change and I want to see if there is anything I can do to help make that happen. What would you say are some good ways for that to happen?

One more thing I want to say, just because someone isn't doing what YOU think they should be doing, doesn't make them lazy or incompetent. It just means they are focusing on other areas than what you think they should be focusing on.

Let's get those ideas on the screen and see what happens.

Harris

Quote from: TylerBRTC on October 21, 2017, 02:54:54 PM

I love that there are programs around the nation we can look to, to get ideas and follow their lead. We have to remember we can learn from them, but we are not them. The state of WI is not frenzied about wrestling like it is in NJ. I spent a couple years on staff there, I know what the wrestling culture is like there. We are not MN, with the systems in place and things working together for multiple reasons. We are not IL who seem to have a special thing going. (I'm talking HS now if you can't tell). We NEED to learn from them, but it is not apples to apples. I think that is worth noting and recognizing as we move forward. I believe that if the state is unified we can make up and gain ground very quickly. That could take some changes or it could just be aligning.

Serious question - does South Dakota have a frenzied wrestling culture or special thing going at the high school level?  I understand the point you are making but I also see teams in areas that I wouldn't consider wrestling hotbeds having success at the college level as well.  You would think a big ten program in a great college town would be easier to recruit at and build a program at than SDSU.  Kudos to their coach, team, administration and school for making it happen.

wrastle63

Quote from: getyourpoints on October 21, 2017, 11:21:51 PM
Quote from: TylerBRTC on October 21, 2017, 02:54:54 PM
That's a cool thing Rutgers has going. It would be awesome if that would happen at Wisconsin. Would like to see UW make that step. Good stuff right there. The Scarlet Knight Wrestling Club (RTC) has played a big role in bringing some of this change. That started in 2010 with extreme focus and lead by an individual who does an amazing job coaching and leading that thing. Doesn't have the credentials of the others but does it well. In some ways we are copying that model with the BRTC. Can't wait to see what happens with us in a shorter amount of time.

I look forward to listening to @benakren's pod cast this weekend and learning from Bono. That guy is special and exciting. Fun to see wrestling getting better at SDSU. I know for a fact the UW staff has been having multiple, multiple conversation with the administration over the past THREE years about season tickets and it sounds like next year that is going to happen. But four years of going through the red tape to get something that lots of other universities have had... you can't just say, MAKE IT HAPPEN or work your butt off, because the system is broken. I am not making excuses, I am just stating reality. FOUR years of meetings!

I too find it disheartening that many kids don't have gear for UW. BRTC is working on a few things to make gear more available...  hopefully it won't take four years, but we will see. I would throw this challenge out there, if you are truly disheartened about it, get them some gear ;)
Example for you: just last week a hammer crew of kids joined the BRTC for a workout and they were wearing AWA stuff. I think AWA is doing some amazing stuff, have no problems or issues with them, and I want to work more with them in the future, but I understand the importance of the BRTC and UW. Because of NCAA compliance stuff BRTC can't give gear away but I was able to have some meetings with compliance, yes I thought it was worth it to spend over 3 hours of my time, to find a way to get these guys gear without it costing them. I wanted them to represent BRTC (and by default UW because people don't understand the difference) where ever they went. It took my own money, time, and energy to make it happen... don't say you want it to happen but don't explore what role you can play in it. Build the enthusiasm from where you are. Get excited about what is happening and find ways to support it even if you don't agree with everything that is happening. Please make your concerns known and challenge, but don't just say you wish something would happen and do nothing about it.

Honest question, has anyone on the UW coaching staff been on Askren's podcast? Sorry I have not listened to many episodes. How can we use what is happening already in the state to make known what is happening at the UW? It is sad to know that many people know more about other universities then about their home state. That needs to change and I want to see if there is anything I can do to help make that happen. What would you say are some good ways for that to happen?

One more thing I want to say, just because someone isn't doing what YOU think they should be doing, doesn't make them lazy or incompetent. It just means they are focusing on other areas than what you think they should be focusing on.

Let's get those ideas on the screen and see what happens.

Great point.
Let's get the wish list out there, what are they trying to get done.
>It would be nice to see Badger coaches take an interest in local wrestling.
> some sort of a social media presence would be cool.
> Badger wrestling gear in the Badger store at HS state would be cool.
> RTC info being posted would be a nice start. Dates, time coaches ext.
They do have a social media presence. They are on Facebook, Twitter, and instagram. The BRTC and Badger Wrestling. They post a lot during the season.
Agree about the Badger gear. There is some but you have 2 choices it would be nice if kids had 10 choices. I think it would be cool to have a booth at state wrestling with the Wisconsin coaches and some wrestlers. Make it a meet and greet, because if fans know the wrestlers and coaches they will be more likely to go to a dual or watch.

GradeTough

I really like that idea of having a booth at the State tournament. Heck, extend to some of the big tournaments like TrackWrestling Pre-season or even Badger National. Really increase that brand identity. Heck, I would pick up a few hundred dollars worth of gear.

wrastle63

Quote from: GradeTough on October 22, 2017, 10:50:42 AM
I really like that idea of having a booth at the State tournament. Heck, extend to some of the big tournaments like TrackWrestling Pre-season or even Badger National. Really increase that brand identity. Heck, I would pick up a few hundred dollars worth of gear.
Like that too! Pick 2 or 3 tourneys the whole team or whole staff don't have to be there. Just make your presence known.

littleguy301

Quote from: getyourpoints on October 21, 2017, 08:58:50 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on October 21, 2017, 12:11:49 AM
GYP, What makes you state that SDSU has a better program than UW?  They finished behind the Badgers last year I think.
They had a national champ last year and there recruiting over the last couple of years is exceeding the Badgers. They are selling lots of season tickets and selling out there 5500 seat arena. They have also launched phase 2 of construction of a new state of the art 12000 sq foot wrestling facility, they have already collected 1/3 of the funds for the project.
They have a direct pipeline into PinNicle and Ledgends of Gold so the can recruit the best MN, SD and western WI wrestlers. My son attends several wrestling clubs throughout WI and I haven't seen a Badger coach in a room in 3yrs when they were trying to recruit Robert Lee.
I understand if the Badgers don't think recuiting WI kids is worth there time but you would think they would want to get out to the clubs to at least build brand loyalty. As Ben Askren stated you see kids with gear from every college but the Badgers.
Lazy!!!

SDSU has never as far as I know a national champ. Seth Gross was a national finalist last year and could be in the running to be a champ in the next couple of years.

I think they are selling out maybe 2500 hundred seats. I think only 3 schools can say they sell out 5500 seat arenas penn state and not sure of their size so maybe.....OSU and Iowa.

SDSU is most certainly on the rise and their coaches are thinking outside the box and working their butts off to say the least. NDSU did this a few years ago and NDSU is now a legit top 25 school and higher most years. Doesnt hurt to have a couple of coaches that were on national teams over the years to get out and talk to club coaches like pinnicle, young guns and such.

A Big10 school no matter how good or how bad they are will always trump just about any other school or conference out there when talking wrestling. To much money tossed around and to have a degree from a Big10 school is actually money in the bank compared to most not all but most.

I will say that while I am not in the friend zone with coach davis, with incounters of him I think coach brandvold would be much better suited to be out in the public with communication with local clubs and the national teams.

Have to agree with Mr Askren about the UW team wear. I certainly hope that UW does set up a Badger booth at individual state this year. That would be awesome to get some gear out!!!!!!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

MNbadger

SDSU is not selling out 2500 seats....(averaging 1600).
http://news.theopenmat.com/college-wrestling-news/college-wrestling-dual-attendance-15-year-high/62725
Quote from: littleguy301 on October 22, 2017, 06:53:00 PM
Quote from: getyourpoints on October 21, 2017, 08:58:50 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on October 21, 2017, 12:11:49 AM
They had a national champ last year and there recruiting over the last couple of years is exceeding the Badgers. They are selling lots of season tickets and selling out there 5500 seat arena. They have also launched phase 2 of construction of a new state of the art 12000 sq foot wrestling facility, they have already collected 1/3 of the funds for the project.
They have a direct pipeline into PinNicle and Ledgends of Gold so the can recruit the best MN, SD and western WI wrestlers. My son attends several wrestling clubs throughout WI and I haven't seen a Badger coach in a room in 3yrs when they were trying to recruit Robert Lee.
I understand if the Badgers don't think recuiting WI kids is worth there time but you would think they would want to get out to the clubs to at least build brand loyalty. As Ben Askren stated you see kids with gear from every college but the Badgers.
Lazy!!!

SDSU has never as far as I know a national champ. Seth Gross was a national finalist last year and could be in the running to be a champ in the next couple of years.

I think they are selling out maybe 2500 hundred seats. I think only 3 schools can say they sell out 5500 seat arenas penn state and not sure of their size so maybe.....OSU and Iowa.

SDSU is most certainly on the rise and their coaches are thinking outside the box and working their butts off to say the least. NDSU did this a few years ago and NDSU is now a legit top 25 school and higher most years. Doesnt hurt to have a couple of coaches that were on national teams over the years to get out and talk to club coaches like pinnicle, young guns and such.

A Big10 school no matter how good or how bad they are will always trump just about any other school or conference out there when talking wrestling. To much money tossed around and to have a degree from a Big10 school is actually money in the bank compared to most not all but most.

I will say that while I am not in the friend zone with coach davis, with incounters of him I think coach brandvold would be much better suited to be out in the public with communication with local clubs and the national teams.

Have to agree with Mr Askren about the UW team wear. I certainly hope that UW does set up a Badger booth at individual state this year. That would be awesome to get some gear out!!!!!!

MNbadger

If you want better attendance, GO TO THE MATCHES.......
Wisconsin was very competitive last year.  They should always be in the top ten for average attendance.

wrestler133

This is an honest question, but do the Badgers even sell "season tickets" for the wrestling team?  Whenever I go I just assume tickets are available, I show up, purchase at the door and sit wherever I want.  I didn't even know buying season tickets was an option....if it is?

SP

No. They are not allowed to sell season tickets. Program has asked but have been told no.
Anti-Inclusion Mafia

bigG

Quote from: MNbadger on October 22, 2017, 10:30:27 PM
If you want better attendance, GO TO THE MATCHES.......
Wisconsin was very competitive last year.  They should always be in the top ten for average attendance.

True. Last one I went to seemed liked a few hundred people there. I try for one a year. I'd like to hit more; but just don't have the time.

The lack of attendance points to our state not quite being as wrestling crazy (in terms of numbers) as many other states, many with lesser programs.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.