NCAA At-Large Announced!

Started by crossface21, March 07, 2017, 12:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ino

Quote from: stbird on March 08, 2017, 10:34:47 AM
This is really pitiful.  Iliinois has 30, New Jersey 30, Pennyslvania 49.  No reason WI only has 4 national qualifiers.  Maryland even has 8 and wrestling in Maryland is nowhere near as popular as in Wisconsin with less people.  I have no explanation for this lack of D1 participation and success.    

At least it is trending up, last year there were 2, but that included Alex Dieringer.

woody53

This is really pitiful.  Iliinois has 30, New Jersey 30, Pennyslvania 49.  No reason WI only has 4 national qualifiers.  Maryland even has 8 and wrestling in Maryland is nowhere near as popular as in Wisconsin with less people.  I have no explanation for this lack of D1 participation and success.    

Quote from: imwi on March 08, 2017, 08:59:22 AM
From Flo, listing by state

Wisconsin (4)
RFr. Cole Martin (Wisconsin)
RFr. Andrew Crone (Wisconsin)
Jr. Jacob Morrissey (Purdue)
Jr. Newton Smerchek (Central Michigan)

And so who would you blame for this? In my opinion, it is not just one person or a team. We have to point fingers at ourselves for not doing enough to make Wisconsin wrestlers better.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Oldtimer

Quote from: woody53 on March 08, 2017, 10:41:20 AM

Wisconsin (4)

And so who would you blame for this? In my opinion, it is not just one person or a team. We have to point fingers at ourselves for not doing enough to make Wisconsin wrestlers better.

It's BD's fault of course... Sheesh, we have 1/2 the WI boys that qualified at WI.  What happened with the other WI boys that aren't Badgers?  Or aren't there many out there in D1?
Beware of the northern sleeper

bigG

Wisconsin (4)

Very good reason. Not just BD; our HS wrestlers are not as tough as those states.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DocWrestling

How many WI wrestlers are at D1 schools outside of Wisconsin?

Pittsburgh-Robert Lee
NDSU- Paul Bianchi, August Peplinski, Mitch Friedman, Nathan Smith, Joe Umlauf
Minnesota- Dylan Anderson, Dalton Lunde, Hunter Marko, Darius Wright
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

stbird

I think that is the problem, there just aren't that many that even try to wrestle D1 after high school.  I was watching the Illinois 3A finals on TV last night and they interviewed every champion and all of the upper classmen had committed to a D1 school or were still looking for a D1 school and some of them were juniors who had already committed.  I don't see that focus or expectation in Wisconsin.  We are much better represented in D3 with 15, but even there, not 1 of Whitewater's national qualifiers is from WI!  That amazes/disappoints me! 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14A1Wb18YYI7Pf0MM9qfLXIqj357ojrl_YlHhDoSQzY0/edit#gid=827916340

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 08, 2017, 12:29:24 PM

Pittsburgh-Robert Lee

Numbers

Pittsburgh-Robert Lee

Purdue-Ben Thornton
Wyoming-Ben Hornickle, Dewey Krueger

Manty77

Quote from: Numbers on March 08, 2017, 02:48:10 PM

Pittsburgh-Robert Lee

Purdue-Ben Thornton
Wyoming-Ben Hornickle, Dewey Krueger

Fritz Schierl - Ohio State
Jeremiah Moody - Univ of Iowa
Tristan McDonald - Univ of Iowa

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Predicting a 17th place finish at NCAA's

leg turk

Quote from: Brett Favre on March 08, 2017, 04:07:26 PM

Ya, I was going to say 16th-19th.... We'll see.

Micah

Quote from: leg turk on March 08, 2017, 04:14:32 PM
Quote from: Brett Favre on March 08, 2017, 04:07:26 PM

Ya, I was going to say 16th-19th.... We'll see.

I think 14th

badgerjohn

Quote from: woody53 on March 08, 2017, 10:41:20 AM
.............And so who would you blame for this? In my opinion, it is not just one person or a team. We have to point fingers at ourselves for not doing enough to make Wisconsin wrestlers better.

Yo woody, whom is this guy "ourselves" you refer to?    ???

"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

wrestlemania

Very good reason. Not just BD; our HS wrestlers are not as tough as those states.

I don't want to agree with this statement but when you consider that several multiple Wisconsin high school state-champion wrestlers are on the UW roster and not in the the national tournament, what other conclusion can you draw?

Just remember, last native Wisconsinite to win a national title for UW was Andy Rein back in 1980. This is a deeper problem than Barry Davis' coaching.

Barou

Quote from: wrestlemania on March 08, 2017, 09:55:03 PM

I don't want to agree with this statement but when you consider that several multiple Wisconsin high school state-champion wrestlers are on the UW roster and not in the the national tournament, what other conclusion can you draw?

Just remember, last native Wisconsinite to win a national title for UW was Andy Rein back in 1980. This is a deeper problem than Barry Davis' coaching.

The count is up to 10 national titles won by our native sons since Barry's been HC, doesn't go a whole lot deeper.
JHI Mafia

imnofish

Wisconsin (4)

We also need to be realistic about our statistical potential.  For example, we often compare our results to those of Illinois, but our population is comparatively tiny.  We are also a state with an aging population and declining school enrollments.  Are these the only factors to consider?  Of course not, but they shouldn't be ignored, because they should certainly figure into how we would structure any road to improvement.  Check out this resource and see how the states' raw population numbers compare...

http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!