Badger NCAA Champions

Started by leg turk, May 08, 2016, 08:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy

The sabre was to compensate for the four months travel time to get to the national tournament

imnofish

Quote from: Jimmy on May 10, 2016, 11:37:16 AM
The sabre was to compensate for the four months travel time to get to the national tournament

Was his horse lame?
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Ghetto

System of roads was less than adequate.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imnofish

Too many pot holes and no headlights on the horse.  Amazing that he wasn't lame...
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

rv84

Quote from: imnofish on May 10, 2016, 09:39:28 AM
Quote from: billymurphy on May 09, 2016, 09:47:38 PM
I had no idea that Badgers had a NCAA champion back in 1889 when Lee won the title.   
If you think about it, not many years after the civil war or the battles with the Indians ended.
I believe  he was stationed at Camp Randal the wrestling coach seen him fighting and talked him into wrestling since they needed a new 158 pounder the weight was wide open since Lincoln died.
Walter 1996
Demeray 1992, 1991
Lee 1889
Jordan 1986, 1985
Rein 1980
Jeidy 1978
Kemp 1978, 1977, 1976
Haines 1977
Christenson 1976
Reinwand 1976
Lawinger 1974

That was really unfair, though; Lee got to use his sabre. 

lizard king

Walter in 1996 was one of my all time favorite finals matches.  Maybe not great action but a real test of desire and figuring out how to win.

TomM

Quote from: lizard king on May 12, 2016, 07:51:26 AM
Walter in 1996 was one of my all time favorite finals matches.  Maybe not great action but a real test of desire and figuring out how to win.

Versus Justin Harty North Carolina

The guy was a fire hydrant with a serious head butt ...
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

lizard king

The head butt is what I believe gave Walter the win!   Good fun.  I think Jetton did well that year too.  He was fun to watch.

imnofish

Reading the Bible is a good thing; especially if you follow its lead when making personal choices.  Even the most avid Bible readers can learn and progress throughout their lives, via honest reflection and holding themselves accountable.  The Savior is the example, rather than the disciple, however.

bigG

Most Holy books are good reading. There is more than one savior; and , in many traditions, you are your own savior. All good when they help the human cause. Not so good when they cause strife among different belief systems. If Muslims hate Christians because of the differences, or vice versa, then those folks and their beliefs are flawed. I don't know of any religious tradition that teaches hate. Are there Buddhist hate groups? Maybe, I dunno. They all seem to have those goofballs that hate in the name of God, including Christianity. Messed up. I doubt Goat is a hater. I got a beat up Bible I read; but it was my Grandma that gave it most of its wear, or her mom.

I was a Jetton fan, big time. Fun to watch, and much needed at the time in Badger wrestling.

Jordan was a crushing wrestler, at times. Jim didn't sound tough, didn't look mean; he just brought it on when the whistle blew. Love that stuff.

When I went to Badger camp, Jeff Jordan was the guy I thought was the bomb. Laid back; but could turn it on, on the mat.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ElectricGuy

Quote from: coconut joe on May 13, 2016, 11:40:53 AM
Yikes, this thread really got off on a tangent.  Is reading the bible crucial to becoming a national champion?

Nope, but it sure could help in areas of:
Winning and loosing (I Corinthians 9:24),  self discipline (Hebrews 12:11-13) , burnout (Isaiah 40:29-31), Perseverance & sacrifice (Hebrews 12:1), striving to a goal (Philippians 3:14), sportsmanship (Colossians 3:21), following rules (2 Timothy 2:5), finishing what you start (2 Timothy 4:7), Hardship (2 Corinthians 4:8-9)

Oh, and it does talk about wrestling a bit. (Not baseball, football, soccer, basketball, etc....)   ;)

Genesis 32:24-25  And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob's hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. (First recorded wrestling match)

Ephesians 6:12-15  For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.
We live in the era of smart phones and stupid people.

npope

Okay guys, back on task - Badger NCAA Champions. Otherwise I'll have to tell you how much I like Trump.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

billymurphy

John Lennon died from four gunshot wounds at the age of 40. 
He is not a good example of "in the end everything will be OK".

bigG

I thought Rein brought a new style to WI winning wrestling. I always felt he reinvigorated the WI in WI wrestling, being a home boy.

I'm just glad that our maker gave us wrestling.  :) I'm pickin' Zeke to finish 'er up next year.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

leg turk

Quote from: bigG on May 16, 2016, 06:19:48 AM
I thought Rein brought a new style to WI winning wrestling. I always felt he reinvigorated the WI in WI wrestling, being a home boy.

I'm just glad that our maker gave us wrestling.  :) I'm pickin' Zeke to finish 'er up next year.

Is there any talk yet of IMar bumping up, or BoJo?