Rutt is going to Iowa

Started by leg turk, July 20, 2015, 01:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornbuckleb

Former UW All-American and Big Ten champion Mitch Hull is back in the Wisconsin wrestling room as a member of the Badgers' administrative staff in 2013-14. Hull joins the UW coaching staff as a volunteer assistant coach after previously serving as the National Team Director for USA Wrestling.

Hull previously served as the National Teams Director for USA Wrestling since 1992, providing 21 years of leadership to the organization. He coordinated and supervised all aspects of USA Wrestling's international programs, including working with the National Team coaching staffs in all three Olympic wrestling styles.

During Hull's tenure, the United States won the World Team Title in freestyle wrestling in 1993 and 1995, the Women's World Championships in 1999 and the Greco-Roman World Championships in 2007. The U.S. won the most medals of any nation in wrestling at the 1996 Olympics.

Under Hull's direction, the United States won 102 medals in the three international styles at the World Championships, including 28 gold medals. At the Olympic Games during his tenure, the United States won 36 Olympic medals in the three styles, including 12 Olympic gold medals.

Hull joined USA Wrestling from Purdue where he served as the head wrestling coach from 1988-92. He had previously served as assistant coach at Purdue from 1986-88. Hull was an assistant coach for Wisconsin from 1982-86 and a graduate assistant coach from 1980-82. He received a bachelor's degree in business from Wisconsin in 1980.

Hull was a two-time NCAA All-American at Wisconsin and two-time Big Ten champion. He was one of the few U.S. wrestlers ever to compete in both the Freestyle and Greco-Roman World Championships. He won two U.S. Nationals freestyle titles (1981-82) and finished second in the U.S. Olympic Team Trials in 1984. Hull was a Junior National double champion, winning both freestyle and Greco-Roman.

hornbuckleb

Mitch Hull's wrestling career began in Evansville, WI, where he became the first wrestler in school history to qualify for the state tournament as a Junior, then on to an undefeated State Championship his senior year in 1975. That summer he wrestled for the Wisconsin Junior National Team and became Wisconsin's first Junior National Champion winning both the Greco-Roman and Freestyle titles at 191.5 pounds.

That fall, Mitch enrolled at Kansas State University on a football scholarship as a defensive end. After two seasons, he transferred back home to the University of Wisconsin - Madison. There he earned a degree in Business. While competing for UW-Madison, Mitch was a two-time All-American, two-time Big Ten Champion and co-captain of his junior and senior teams.

On the international scene, his wrestling career also flourished. In 1977, he placed 4th for the USA team in the world Junior Championships and was the youngest member of the Senior World Greco-Roman team. After 1980, Mitch concentrated on freestyle and earned two national titles, along with a bronze medal in the World University Games. In 1982, he qualified to wrestle for the USA team at the Freestyle World Championships and finished his wrestling career, taking 2nd place in the 1984 Olympic trials to eventual Olympic champion, Ed Banach. He is one of only a handful of wrestlers to ever wrestle in both the Greco-Roman and Freestyle World Championships.

Upon graduation, Mitch worked as a graduate assistant and Assistant Coach for the University of Wisconsin. In 1988, he became the head wrestling coach at Purdue University, a position he held until 1992. During his last 2 years at Purdue, his teams placed 7th and 12th in the nation, the highest finish for a Purdue wrestling team in 40 years.

In 1992, Mitch took the job as National Team Director for USA Wrestling in Colorado Springs. This position has allowed him to travel the world as a U.S. representative of our sport. In February, 1997, he served as team leader on a tour to Tehran, Iran, which culminated in an invitation to the White House.

Currently Mitch spends much of his free time volunteering as a coach in different sports. He and former LaCrosse wrestler, Mel Dow, have started a wrestling club in Colorado Springs. Mitch also coaches the middle school girls basketball club team and runs the summer strength training program for girls at Rampart High School.

hornbuckleb

http://www.wwca.org/page/show/1508566-mitch-hull

Mitch Hull joined the Coaching staff in the fall of 2013 after serving as the National Teams Director for USA Wrestling since 1992. He coordinated and supervised all aspects of USA Wrestling's international programs, including working with the National Team coaching staffs in all three Olympic wrestling styles. Hull worked with the US Olympic Committee as the delegation leader for wrestling at the past 6 Olympic Games.

As a Coach

Hull joined USA Wrestling from Purdue where he served as the head wrestling coach from 1988-92. During his tenure the Boilermakers has their greatest NCAA success from 1952 to date, placing 7th and 12th in 1991 and 1992. Prior to going to Purdue he was the assistant coach for Wisconsin from 1982-86 and a graduate assistant coach from 1980-82.

This past summer Hull served as Coach of the USA Cadet World Team which earned a 3rd place Team finish. The USA Team had four athletes earn a spot in the finals with three individuals winning World titles, both more than any other country. Hull will serve as a Cadet World Team Coach again in 2015.

As an Athlete

Hull became the first individual to win a Junior National Title from Wisconsin, winning both styles. Hull started his college career playing football at Kansas State before he returned to Wisconsin and wrestling. He won two Big Ten titles and was a two-time All-American in college. Hull excelled in both international styles placing 4th in the Junior World Championships in Greco-Roman, earned a bronze medal in the World University Games in Freestyle and placed second in the USA Olympic Trials. He is one of less than a handful of individuals that has represented the USA in both Greco-Roman and Freestyle Senior World Championships in the past 50 years.

ramjet

So Mitch will be the new head coach?  :o

Great accolades and impressive is understatement it certainly seems he cannot hurt and if given some latitude will make difference. This gets more interesting with every post 😀

hornbuckleb

I think you are missing the bigger picture

QuoteThis past summer Hull served as Coach of the USA Cadet World Team which earned a 3rd place Team finish. The USA Team had four athletes earn a spot in the finals with three individuals winning World titles, both more than any other country. Hull will serve as a Cadet World Team Coach again in 2015.

dad 2 5

Quote from: Josh Crass on July 28, 2015, 04:35:37 PM
I'd like to not miss the big picture.... fill me in. He coaches cadet World team? That's the big picture, can he get a 14 year old to commit to WI?

I get the privilege of talking to Mitch and the rest of the coaches and several team members and I know that they cannot recruit when the cadet team is in town but I also know they get to show them the room, the town, the campus, the dorms... Obviously they are hoping that is a first look at the UW. The staff has said these two years have been helpful in recruiting.

ramjet

I absolutely love the passion Josh is showing here. I love the passion. I was speaking as competitor I know nothing of Hull as a coach.

I do know this though the best coaches can make mediocre wrestlers highly competitive.

dad 2 5

Josh I know you were being sarcastic, I was just reminding people what went on the last couple of years. Pretty exciting. I asked Mitch and Trevor if they thought we would have a shot at getting it back. They seemed hesitant but hopeful. I know the other coaches from the national team were VERY impressed with the UW and facilities.

Would Rutt, Zack T or Erik "Big House!", Kyle M, or Lee Kraemer be guys that improved greatly? Of course I could name a bunch of guys that washed out too.

mkm13

Quote from: Josh Crass on July 28, 2015, 03:17:18 PM
Our answer... Our Future should not be in the hands of Someone who is at Retirement age.... how do you not understand this? You're either in the future or backwards, relying on another 55+ year old man to TURN YOUR PROGRAM AROUND?

That seemed to work out pretty well for the basketball team, unless back to back final 4's is not good enough for you.  A coach can be good at any age.

ramjet

Quote from: Josh Crass on July 28, 2015, 07:16:13 PM
Anybody that defends this situation with BD staying head coach is either his buddy or has no competitive edge... sometimes I wish I didn't care

Let it be noted that I am talking about BD only. Trevor and Kyle are awesome Guys and Great Coaches and I think on their own we would have more success, than them learning from the present example.

Barry was handed one of the best wrestlers in the State one who has competed at a very high level what has he done with JT? not to darn much and yes I put that on BD. that si one example of many. Take the wrestlers that failed Nader Barry put them in another top level program under a great coach well let's say Derringer for example need I say more?

Davis has to go period end of story.

mkm13

I love JT, but it is pretty clear his focus on Greco has hurt his folkstyle success (and I do not blame TJ for not focusing on folkstyle considering he is one of the best in the world in Greco).  Completely different style of wrestling, and his Greco weight makes him a smurf compared to other college wrestlers at 141. 

Do you blame Barry for not making JT focus on folkstyle?  I personally do not..but it has hurt his success at the college level...just like it has for a ton of Greco wrestlers before him.

Ryan Taylor, Isaac Jordan, and Connor Medberry seem to do just fine with Barry as the coach.  Robertson is right there as well considering he was only a freshman at an upper weight.  The key is to recruit more highly ranked kids like them who want to focus on college wrestling year round.

H. Hogan

Quote from: Goat Roper on July 28, 2015, 06:05:07 PM
Quote from: Josh Crass on July 28, 2015, 02:43:57 PM
Goat Roper re-read what I wrote... Clout/University ties has nothing to do with it... I mean someone to pay his salary to keep him away, be his buddy watch the matches with him (from the stands).. then the University can find a new young hungry coach that is focused on winning and putting the most competitive team out there.

Tell me what skill sets BD has to do any other job but being a mediocre head coach? Have you ever had a conversation with the man that wasn't  like herding cats? Or have you ever seen an interview with him? I dont blame him for holding onto this job for dear life.

Sorry but time to pass the torch.. feel like people been saying this for TEN years.

Yea ok so Hull was Purdue's coach must have been during their dominant years.... oh wait never had that.

Save the Politics for Washington if you want to win you sometimes have to hurt someones feelings.... I sure am sick of getting mine hurt every year at Big Tens and NCAA's by the rest of the Midwest.

Read what I said.  I doubt there is any former wrestler that is willing to pay Barry's salary and benefit package to keep him away.  It would probably be close to $700,000 - $800,000.

Use this database to search salaries for employees throughout the University of Wisconsin System, including 13 universities, 13 colleges, UW-Extension and UW System administration. Click the "Details" link on any record for additional data. See below for definitions of each data category.

Data covers the 2013-14 fiscal year and was provided by the University of Wisconsin in response to an open records request. UW did not provide employee benefits data. Listing includes all non-student employees who received any amount of pay in 2013-14. Click here to report an error or provide feedback on the database.

Prior UW databases: 2012-13 | 2011-12

(If database doesn't load below, please refresh page)

Search Again Search Again
First name   BARRY
Last name   DAVIS
Campus   UW-Madison
13-14 FTE enrollment   38,498
Department   ATH/WRESTLING/WRESTLING
Title   COACH
FTE   1
Start date   8/1/1992
Regular pay   $106,653
Overload   $0
Allowances   $0
Additional pay   $2,128
Overtime   $0
Total pay   $108,781

Record          of 3    Next   Last

Online Database by Caspio

ramjet

Quote from: mkm13 on July 28, 2015, 09:14:16 PM
I love JT, but it is pretty clear his focus on Greco has hurt his folkstyle success (and I do not blame TJ for not focusing on folkstyle considering he is one of the best in the world in Greco).  Completely different style of wrestling, and his Greco weight makes him a smurf compared to other college wrestlers at 141. 

Do you blame Barry for not making JT focus on folkstyle?  I personally do not..but it has hurt his success at the college level...just like it has for a ton of Greco wrestlers before him.

Ryan Taylor, Isaac Jordan, and Connor Medberry seem to do just fine with Barry as the coach.  Robertson is right there as well considering he was only a freshman at an upper weight.  The key is to recruit more highly ranked kids like them who want to focus on college wrestling year round.

Everything you are saying falls directly on the head coach and as far as JT goes not buying that at all. A coach who knows how to transform styles and wrestlers brings the best put in those wrestlers. Has Barry Brought the best out in JT? I think not.

mkm13

You can name examples for every coach in the country of wrestlers who did not perform as well as their high school accomplishments would suggest they should.

Transforming Greco to folkstyle is easier said than done.  There are a ton of examples of that transition failing time and time again. 

Jesse Thielke wrestling 133 in Greco will never be an elite folkstyle wrestler at 141.  I don't care who the coach is.  Look at the videos...you can't give up that much size/muscle at this level against the elite guys and expect to do be elite.

littleguy301

I have a few thought about this

First,,,,I seriously doubt that the UW pays anything close in a  total package to BD in the amount of 700,000-800,000 a year. I would be shocked if the total package is 200,000

Second,,,I realize JT hasnt had the success at the college level as one thought but while people blame BD I have to ask if JT is also willing to buy into a system or get to the top at the college level.

Third,,,,while at first I wasnt overly thrilled with the hiring of TB and KR but after a few year they both have suceeded what I ever thought they could do and I also think at this point I think they have only scratched the surface of what they can do on the college level, I am stooked about both of them.

Fourth
Quote from: Josh Crass on July 28, 2015, 07:16:13 PM
Anybody that defends this situation with BD staying head coach is either his buddy or has no competitive edge... sometimes I wish I didn't care

Let it be noted that I am talking about BD only. Trevor and Kyle are awesome Guys and Great Coaches and I think on their own we would have more success, than them learning from the present example.

I have to agree on this statement.

Fifth,,,,I enjoy the Badgers and will always be a fan but I have to refer to number 4.

Sixth,,,,
Quote from: Josh Crass on July 28, 2015, 07:15:07 PM
any basketball reference is immediately scoffed at if you can coach off a clip board you can coach in a wheel chair sorry mkm13 different sports whats next a Football reference?

JRod, I seriously doubt that he does anything on a mat and hasnt for quite a while now. I remember a few years back when his knee replacement went bad and he went without a knee for some time, but he was at all the home duals I was at. Side Note: I think most know Brandon Eggum basically runs the day to day operations.

I do feel a coach can run a top notch program with out rolling on the mat with the guys. A good coach surrounds himself with good coaches and as many as you can get to work with as many kids one on one.

Seventh,,,,having Mitch Hull on board is only going to help. I dont care about his age I care about how much he is doing and helping out. I read that he got a couple of outside people in and people say so what, I say that is better than getting none in. Only a step in the right direction

eighth,,,you can blame the coach, you can blame the wrestler. If someone knew why certain kids dont do well in college and some do awesome,,,,well they would be the highest pay recruiter on the planet!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet