A Brave New World

Started by vsmf2010, March 24, 2024, 02:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vsmf2010

Just wanted to do a little math to show the impact of the transfer portal and the NIL

Michigan - 9 Qualifiers – 4 AA's – 71 Team Points

Iowa - 9 Qualifiers – 4 AA's – 67 Team Points

UW - 5 Qualifiers – 1 AA – 24.5 Team Points

When you remove the transfers

Michigan - 5 Qualifiers – 1 AA – 18.5 Team Points

Iowa - 5 Qualifiers – 1 AA – 26.5 Team Points

UW - 3 Qualifiers – 1 AA – 22 Team Points

badgerjohn

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 24, 2024, 02:50:55 PMJust wanted to do a little math to show the impact of the transfer portal and the NIL

Michigan - 9 Qualifiers – 4 AA's – 71 Team Points

Iowa - 9 Qualifiers – 4 AA's – 67 Team Points

UW - 5 Qualifiers – 1 AA – 24.5 Team Points

When you remove the transfers

Michigan - 5 Qualifiers – 1 AA – 18.5 Team Points

Iowa - 5 Qualifiers – 1 AA – 26.5 Team Points

UW - 3 Qualifiers – 1 AA – 22 Team Points

Very interesting data.  But the reality is the world has changed.  Ain't no going back now.

I keep thinking of someway to do NFL type stuff.  Revenue sharing, salary caps, ....
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

vsmf2010

JB had some very pointed comments about this on the broadcast. He said more than once how bad it was for the culture of the sport! Could not agree more. I am sure the teams with the deep pockets are recruiting all the smaller school AA's to poach for next season. What is the over/under for the # of AA's that enter the portal this year?

GrappleGuy

Quote from: vsmf2010 on March 24, 2024, 03:39:17 PMJB had some very pointed comments about this on the broadcast. He said more than once how bad it was for the culture of the sport! Could not agree more. I am sure the teams with the deep pockets are recruiting all the smaller school AA's to poach for next season. What is the over/under for the # of AA's that enter the portal this year?

The current gap is only going to increase. I'm sure there will be numerous AA's hitting the portal in the following months. There's no longer any pride/loyalty in wrestling for the school that first gave you the opportunity. Yes it's the new era of collegiate sports, but I can't help rooting/having a bit more respect for the kids that keep with their team.

It seems team dynasties will only grow, but programs like Little Rock give me hope!

DocWrestling

It is worse in basketball and football because the best hold on to dreams of making money professionally in their sport so the degree and school is much less important.

At least in wrestling, the school and academics will still matter as nobody is making money wrestling after graduation
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

wrestlemania

"At least in wrestling, the school and academics will still matter as nobody is making money wrestling after graduation."

Unless they go pro ;D