NCAA’s Day 2

Started by GrappleGuy, March 22, 2024, 11:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghetto

Did anyone think Barnett was gonna be a three time AA? I did not. I'll give the staff credit where I think it's due. When they recruited Hamiti, a 4x AA would have been better than expected. At least for me.

Him not AAing is a disappointment.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

onwisconsin

EB has definitely improved in my opinion.  125 is a crazy deep class.  No Spencer Lee types this year.  Run this weight class 10 different times we could have 6-10 different champs.

onwisconsin

I would have thrown the brick also

Ghetto

Wish we could have matched Gomez' money.

onwisconsin

I sure hope Hamiti stays. His losses besides Carr this year were very disappointing because he "should" have won both.  He was in control, but couldn't finish.  That is a huge bummer. I love the kid and want to see him take the next step. I can't argue that he hasn't taken that next step yet. 

scrambledeggs

Gomez looked undersized against the last two guys. He took that dude apart tonight, he wrestles like that tomorrow it's over.

Ghetto

IDK what an escape is in college wrestling sometimes. Come to your feet and face the guy and he has a seatbelt and it's not an escape.

onwisconsin

Quote from: Ghetto on March 22, 2024, 08:18:35 PMWish we could have matched Gomez' money.

I agree.  I dream of the day this happens

Ghetto

Quote from: scrambledeggs on March 22, 2024, 08:20:29 PMGomez looked undersized against the last two guys. He took that dude apart tonight, he wrestles like that tomorrow it's over.

After the second takedown he looked over at the corner like he had already won.

Ghetto

It's little consolation but Iowa not being great gives me at least a little joy.

wiscowrestlingfan1

Fresh coaches could hopefully solve some of these issues. None of these guys are developing when compared to their competition. Olejnik for example loss to Hamiti multiple times and has now beaten him 2x since getting to Stillwater....

For those of u that support bono and co what are you guys seeing that others don't????

onwisconsin

I do think we have to be honest. Facilities or not. NIL money or not.  Our guys don't develop like we want.

I truthfully like our coaching staff a lot, but I think facts are facts.

Ghetto

I think the staff did a good job with Barnett.EB himself gets a ton of credit for being this good, but so should the staff.

I'm too lazy to look up the Big Board from when Hamiti was a senior, but was he a top 10 in the nation guy?

That said, 1 AA is not enough when teams like SDSU have more. I love that Maylor came back, Liegel came back home, etc. I do. It's awesome that they came home to wrestle for Wisconsin. At the end of the day though, it should be a results based business.

Let's say there's a new coaching staff in the next few years. Believing in that coach is great. Actually supporting him with big donations is really the support that he needs. If he doesn't get it, expect more of the same.

wiscowrestlingfan1

Quote from: Ghetto on March 22, 2024, 08:32:46 PMI think the staff did a good job with Barnett.EB himself gets a ton of credit for being this good, but so should the staff.

I'm too lazy to look up the Big Board from when Hamiti was a senior, but was he a top 10 in the nation guy?

That said, 1 AA is not enough when teams like SDSU have more. I love that Maylor came back, Liegel came back home, etc. I do. It's awesome that they came home to wrestle for Wisconsin. At the end of the day though, it should be a results based business.

Let's say there's a new coaching staff in the next few years. Believing in that coach is great. Actually supporting him with big donations is really the support that he needs. If he doesn't get it, expect more of the same.

hamiti was #6 on big board

U can't expect a coach to get donations if they don't win.... Gotta develop and show progress then the rest will follow.

Ghetto

Quote from: wiscowrestlingfan1 on March 22, 2024, 08:39:22 PM
Quote from: Ghetto on March 22, 2024, 08:32:46 PMI think the staff did a good job with Barnett.EB himself gets a ton of credit for being this good, but so should the staff.

hamiti was #6 on big board

U can't expect a coach to get donations if they don't win.... Gotta develop and show progress then the rest will follow.

It's a chicken/egg thing. You can't be successful without kids. That takes money.