Obvious choice…in 3 years (of course)

Started by whatever, March 12, 2024, 04:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatever

I see a lot of posters griping about the status of UW coaching....I'm not going to criticize the current regime when I don't have any idea what is (or isn't) going on there but I find it interesting that Askren's name comes up repeatedly.

With the way his clubs have taken off (and taken over), Askren certainly deserves the credit for creating the infrastructure that has allowed HS wrestling in WI to reach new levels never before seen in WI.  I have heard that there are alot of compliance issues that would complicate Askren ever being hired at the UW but it seems to me that some posters are missing the obvious choice if Askren is unable or unwilling to take the UW job :

John Mesenbrink.  If you can't see a million reasons why that guy shouldn't be on any UW short list, you haven't been paying attention to WI wrestling for the last 30 years.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

DocWrestling

LOL! I was thinking the same thing but agree it would have to be in 3 years and wondered if any bridges have been burned with going to Penn St.  You could still see his intense passion during the finals match on Sunday.  I was thinking he could even be the team with Askren that is the stabilizing force.  Another guy where the AD would just have to go with his gut feeling and take a chance.  I would be all in with him as coach
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

imwi

Quote from: whatever on March 12, 2024, 04:35:03 PMI see a lot of posters griping about the status of UW coaching....I'm not going to criticize the current regime when I don't have any idea what is (or isn't) going on there but I find it interesting that Askren's name comes up repeatedly.

With the way his clubs have taken off (and taken over), Askren certainly deserves the credit for creating the infrastructure that has allowed HS wrestling in WI to reach new levels never before seen in WI.  I have heard that there are alot of compliance issues that would complicate Askren ever being hired at the UW but it seems to me that some posters are missing the obvious choice if Askren is unable or unwilling to take the UW job :

John Mesenbrink.  If you can't see a million reasons why that guy shouldn't be on any UW short list, you haven't been paying attention to WI wrestling for the last 30 years.

For some reason, I believe that John is part owner of AWA so I would think he'd have the same compliance issues.  This goes way  back to when they opened the first AWA so I could be wrong

leg turk

I think Damion Hahn would be a great choice.

Numbers

Hope these D1 finalists from Wisconsin date/marry girls from Wisconsin.  Then in 4-8 years Wisconsin will have AWA connection options if needed.

littleguy301

Quote from: leg turk on March 12, 2024, 05:23:53 PMI think Damion Hahn would be a great choice.

Great choice for sure. Though I doubt he would follow Bono as a coach for the second time! Hahn has hit it out of the park at SDSU taking over for Bono.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Ghetto

Quote from: imwi on March 12, 2024, 04:56:11 PM
Quote from: whatever on March 12, 2024, 04:35:03 PMI see a lot of posters griping about the status of UW coaching....I'm not going to criticize the current regime when I don't have any idea what is (or isn't) going on there but I find it interesting that Askren's name comes up repeatedly.

For some reason, I believe that John is part owner of AWA so I would think he'd have the same compliance issues.  This goes way  back to when they opened the first AWA so I could be wrong

Unless John has sold his part, that would be my assumption as well.

Whatever is right though. John is a great coach. Scientific in his approach and detailed. Smart guy. He'd never get a shot though.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove