Northern Iowa

Started by leg turk, February 22, 2024, 09:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Thoughts? I believe Wrestlestat has us losing 23-10, With only Zargo, Dean, and Maylor winning.

CityGuy

Panther train rolls. Bucky can win 5 matches 125,133,149,165 and 174 but UNi will put up more bonus. 22-17 win Panthers

vsmf2010

Quote from: CityGuy on February 22, 2024, 11:13:41 AMPanther train rolls. Bucky can win 5 matches 125,133,149,165 and 174 but UNi will put up more bonus. 22-17 win Panthers

That would be a heck of a win for Nicolar. Farber has wins this season over Van Dee (twice) and Bouzakis.

charteroak1

24-11 UNI

Barnett, Zargo, DJ bring home wins. 

CityGuy

Wow, I didn't check much into his background. Those are impressive wins and I would pick both of them over Nicolar. Thanks for the information, I'll be keeping an eye on him going forward.

wrestle03

Badgers get blown out as usual.

WhoKnows

Badgers won last year.  Gonna need a lot of bonus this year.  Maybe a starter may rest on either side.  They didn't last year and both teams don't seam to be into that. 

bigoil

Quote from: wrestle03 on February 22, 2024, 12:20:21 PMBadgers get blown out as usual.
Please help me understand your hatred of UW. You had two sons go there, I'd think you would be a supporter.

wrestle03

I dont have any hatred towards UW - I call it like I see it.  If anyone thinks the state of this program is "good" or its trending "upward" - you need to get your eyes examined.  This program has gone nowhere under Bono's lack of leadership.  He can't recruit and he can't develop wrestlers.  Barnett and Hamiti were studs from the beginning.  When you are unable to land any of the AWA and Pinnacle guys you should probably move along.  Ask Bono how great he is - he will tell you!

dad 2 5

Quote from: wrestle03 on February 22, 2024, 04:12:30 PMI dont have any hatred towards UW - I call it like I see it.  If anyone thinks the state of this program is "good" or its trending "upward" - you need to get your eyes examined.  This program has gone nowhere under Bono's lack of leadership.  He can't recruit and he can't develop wrestlers.  Barnett and Hamiti were studs from the beginning.  When you are unable to land any of the AWA and Pinnacle guys you should probably move along.  Ask Bono how great he is - he will tell you!

agree and when I glanced at the match up I think I had it 30-14

vsmf2010

Quote from: wrestle03 on February 22, 2024, 04:12:30 PMI dont have any hatred towards UW - I call it like I see it.  If anyone thinks the state of this program is "good" or its trending "upward" - you need to get your eyes examined.  This program has gone nowhere under Bono's lack of leadership.  He can't recruit and he can't develop wrestlers.  Barnett and Hamiti were studs from the beginning.  When you are unable to land any of the AWA and Pinnacle guys you should probably move along.  Ask Bono how great he is - he will tell you!

Kind of convenient if a guy is good he was a stud to begin with and if he is under performing it is the coaches fault. Max spent 5 years at Michigan and was never a qualifier. He currently has a #12 coaches ranking. He does not have an RPI because he only has 14 D1 matches at 174 so he should get an RPI when the final ranking comes out after this weekend and I would expect he will earn a qualifying allocation for the conference. I tend to give way more of the credit to the wrestler than the coaches but clearly they have created a better atmosphere for him to succeed at the UW than UM did. Shane Liegel has a 16 coaches rank and a 16 RPI and will also earn an allocation. You do not see guys move up from DIII and do this very often. Joey has 15 RPI and a 14 coaches rank and has certainly shown quite a bit of improvement this season. To say none of the wrestlers have developed under this coaching staff is just not accurate.

Class of 2024 commit Wyatt Ingham is a Pinnacle wrestler and a very good one!

walden_hiker

I agree that this program is not where I would like it to be and that it would be nice if we landed more top recruits, but you lost me at no development. At Wisconsin, Gomez beat Yianni, sasso, Lovett (2-0), etc. At Michigan, he was handled by Lovett. At Wisconsin, KB was a national qualifier. At Nebraska he has not been.

bigoil

"When you have a handful of guys who make big improvements and meet expectations and have another handful of guys who simply don't even seem to improve over the course of the year that isn't on the coaching staff.  That is on the individual wrestler. "

These were your words, apparently with a different coaching staff, that doesn't hold true?

wrestle03

VSMF2010 -  Maylor may end up being a qualifier but saying the current staff had anything to do with that is a reach.  He's a sixth  year senior and its about time he figured it out.  If he's a qualifier he will score very few points.
It's even more of a reach for you to say that the current staff has anything to do with Liegel's success.  He's a graduate transfer who clearly had success at the D3 level prior and had success against D1 guys during that time.  He also will likely score very few points at Nationals.  These guys are both one and done guys in their fifth/sixth  year - they had talent before they arrived here.

WhoKnows

Quote from: wrestle03 on February 23, 2024, 09:23:26 AMVSMF2010 -  Maylor may end up being a qualifier but saying the current staff had anything to do with that is a reach.  He's a sixth  year senior and its about time he figured it out.  If he's a qualifier he will score very few points.
It's even more of a reach for you to say that the current staff has anything to do with Liegel's success.  He's a graduate transfer who clearly had success at the D3 level prior and had success against D1 guys during that time.  He also will likely score very few points at Nationals.  These guys are both one and done guys in their fifth/sixth  year - they had talent before they arrived here.

Maylor is better than he was last year.  He is beating top 15 guys and keeping any losses to top 10 guys at decisions.  His only bad loss was to Ruth the first time, then he almost beat him the second time. He is beating the guys he should.   According to WS as of now his win and bonus percentage is up.  IMO it has to to do with coaches.  If he's at Michigan he is regressing.  That seems to be a trend for decent/good guys sticking in one program to long (Complacently).  Older transfers have better odds at getting better with a change of scenery.

With regards to Liegel according WS he only wrestled 2 D1 guys ever before transferring and he has a win and loss to "room" guys.  Someone posted an article on him and his decision was to be at a college he felt bettered him personally while still wrestling. His track record is he is really good and easily could've wrestled D1 earlier.  Him being a good wrestler plus having good D1 coaches and access to D1 perks (nutrition, weight training) elevated him higher. 

They both may only be at Wisconsin this year but that is life with transfers.  No D1 program is not effected by it for the good and the better.  Time will tell on Big10s and nationals.  I will be rooting for all of them.