Non-Traditional Thanksgiving

Started by bkraus, November 21, 2013, 09:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkraus

So the wife and I were talking Thanksgiving dinner last night.  We usually have Thursday with just the immediate family and then go to her parent's on Friday for the whole family turkey and all the trimmings dinner.  In the years past we have always done the turkey on Thursday too, but this year I was thinking of changing it up instead of having basically the same meal two days in a row.  Does anyone else out there do anything differently on T-Day?
Strive for Perfection

TomM

I celebrate in my basement, sitting at a card table on a folding chair alone, under an incandescent light bulb strung from the ceiling by its chord, staring at a dim laptop screen reading endless political threads to weed out vile personal attacks by individuals who have never met and don't like something the government is doing. I have a bowl of canned chicken noodle soup and a paper plate with buttered toast next to it and a stack of napkins to wipe up the drool.  I do this many days in a row, identical routine.  Yes, I think you should do your meal two days in a row.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

That sounds nice, too. Hey, everybody celebrates in their own, unique way. We should embrace diversity.

I don't get sick of turkey, punkin pie, cheesy potatoes, etc. Just get a bit chubbier from it all.

TG is my favorite holiday. Three things I'm good at (maybe the only 3):hangin', eatin' and thankin'.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrestling for fun

Spent my thanksgiving last night with my daughter eating chicken wings in Middleton, since she is a  poor college kid and is working through Thx break.

We met in the middle..She came down from UW LAX me up from Franksville.   

Went to the Jordan Burroughs event and got her ol' head gear signed and a pic with the champ...
...of course I slid in my favorite USA wrestling cap for the "champ" to sign!

DrSnide

Our non-traditional tradition is having ground turkey tacos on Thanksgiving.  Can you tell I have three teenage boys living in my house?  Actually like it better than ground beef - can really taste the spices.  We spend Saturday with my family having a traditional dinner.  
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Kjohnson

When kids were young, and brothers out of state , we would celebrate Christmas at Thanksgiving. Exchange gifts, have a Christmas Tree.  The nice part was, it was always a 4 day holiday, weather normally not as bad and when Christmas fell mid week, it was hard to decide if family was coming up before or after Christmas. And no more traveling between my family and my InLaws.

Everyone was happy. I also got all my Christmas shopping done early.

Todd

Quote from: TomM on November 21, 2013, 09:54:14 AM
I celebrate in my basement, sitting at a card table on a folding chair alone, under an incandescent light bulb strung from the ceiling by its chord, staring at a dim laptop screen reading endless political threads to weed out vile personal attacks by individuals who have never met and don't like something the government is doing. I have a bowl of canned chicken noodle soup and a paper plate with buttered toast next to it and a stack of napkins to wipe up the drool.  I do this many days in a row, identical routine.  Yes, I think you should do your meal two days in a row.

Aw, now I feel guilty Tom!  :'(
"This page intentionally left blank".

Todd

Quote from: bigG on November 21, 2013, 10:27:52 AM
That sounds nice, too. Hey, everybody celebrates in their own, unique way. We should embrace diversity.

I don't get sick of turkey, punkin pie, cheesy potatoes, etc. Just get a bit chubbier from it all.

TG is my favorite holiday. Three things I'm good at (maybe the only 3):hangin', eatin' and thankin'.

You're pretty good at arguin' which comes in handy on TG!   ;) ;D

Houndhead

Quote from: Todd on November 21, 2013, 11:28:17 AM
Quote from: TomM on November 21, 2013, 09:54:14 AM

Aw, now I feel guilty Tom!  :'(

+1

imnofish

One year, due to my wife's work schedule, we decided to try something different.  We ended up making homemade pizza (our own crust, even) from scratch.  The kids got to help and we had a lot of fun.  It's all about being together and giving thanks for what you have.  Tom, I hope you have the opportunity to spend the day with someone special to you, as I do for everyone on here.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Todd

Quote from: imnofish on November 21, 2013, 12:35:42 PM
One year, due to my wife's work schedule, we decided to try something different.  We ended up making homemade pizza (our own crust, even) from scratch.  The kids got to help and we had a lot of fun.  It's all about being together and giving thanks for what you have.  Tom, I hope you have the opportunity to spend the day with someone special to you, as I do for everyone on here.

+1

bigG

Quote from: Todd on November 21, 2013, 11:29:56 AM

You're pretty good at arguin' which comes in handy on TG!   ;) ;D

I'm not a big arguer in my real life; so I come on here for my devil's advocacy. :)

You gonna make the turkey good's , trad style, for your little ones?

dad 2 5

we do the normal turkey and fixings but I have heard of a seafood fare they do in Washington state that we may try some year - salmon, smoked trout, oysters, shrimp and crab, etc...

Todd

Quote from: bigG on November 21, 2013, 12:47:46 PM
Quote from: Todd on November 21, 2013, 11:29:56 AM

You're pretty good at arguin' which comes in handy on TG!   ;) ;D

I'm not a big arguer in my real life; so I come on here for my devil's advocacy. :)

You gonna make the turkey good's , trad style, for your little ones?

We get two Turkey Day's to please both sets of Grandparents.  At my Parents in The Falls and than in Green Bay at The In-Laws.  We're hitting Sesame Street Live as well.  Not all on the same days mind you!   ;D   If it were up to me, we'd be deep frying a Turkey.

Hope you and your's have a great Thanksgiving G!

bigG

Sesame Street Live

"Rivetting!" raves Joe Speigal of the Hew York Times

"Mice on ice be nice!" proclaims Anrew Rover of the LA Chronicle

"A must see even for the elderly" says Laura Barrel of the Chicago Terib

Man, have I been there buddy. Mr. Snufolufogus has a few issues in the show I saw.

Several Cashton grads to the set up and tear down of many of those shows. Not the best skaters, though. :)

Sounds like Dad 2 5 got it goin' on.