Hero, a sub shop in Slinger

Started by TomM, July 04, 2013, 09:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

I grew up not knowing what a 'sub sandwich' was.  Had my first at 18.
Cousins bread is my favorite, but the one here closed up.  We now have Jimmy Johns and Subway and a local called PJ's. (was originally Papa Johns, but the corporate company put the squeeze on them legally to drop the trademarked name.)
Anyhow... There is a place in Slinger called Hero Subs.  I drive through Slinger often and if I am in need of a meal I get their wheat roll with some choice of meat on it... Good stuff... Only place I've found that has this type of wheat roll.  They also have some spicy (in my opinion) cheese I like on it.  I don't usually do spicy stuff.  Good place.  Is it a chain? Anyone know?  The motif is same as Packers colors.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

I don't know about Hero, but I try to deal with the local places more often. Cousins had good bread; but they gave you no options. That's, IMO, why Subway does so well. You have them put anything you want on it.

There are two I really like. Cheese Corner in Viroqua and HungryHead in Kenosha. I dn't know if HungryHead is still open; but they were good. Lee's Deli in Racine also had great subs.

These days I just make them at home.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Houndhead

Quote from: bigG on July 05, 2013, 09:05:22 AM
I don't know about Hero, but I try to deal with the local places more often. Cousins had good bread; but they gave you no options. That's, IMO, why Subway does so well. You have them put anything you want on it.
There are two I really like. Cheese Corner in Viroqua and HungryHead in Kenosha. I dn't know if HungryHead is still open; but they were good. Lee's Deli in Racine also had great subs.

You can't get green olives at Subway. I ask for them everytime just to let them know someone wants them.

dr.mud

Fraboni's- Madison and Monona - My favorite sandwiches!

bigG

Quote from: Houndhead on July 05, 2013, 09:46:22 AM
Quote from: bigG on July 05, 2013, 09:05:22 AM

You can't get green olives at Subway. I ask for them everytime just to let them know someone wants them.

That why I buy some good bread and make my own. I like green olives in my samich, too. Ain't no way Subway mustard is touchin' the selection I've got. I just noticed at Cousins (their bread is good) they take oyur order and that's it. At Subway, I ordered a meatball marinara one day and the guy asked me what I all wanted on it. Generally you don't throw a bunch of veggies on one of those. I had dude load it up and it was such a nice combination, I got hooked.

smitty71

Subway has many choices but I don't like the fact they are always "pushing" to toast the sub. Kind of dries everything out because they do it so quickly.  The originator of the toasted sub is Quizzno's, is Subway trying to copy them?  Quizzno's toasts their subs much like Domino's bakes their pizza's, in a conveyor type oven.  They cost a little more, but IMO, they are worth it.  Unfortunately, there are no Quzzno's that are local right now.
What I had I gave, what I saved I lost forever!

bigG

There are just too many sandwich options. Jimmy Johns, Quizznos (most we had are now closed), Sub, Cousins, I see the Suburpias poppin' up in Milwaukee again. Subway has doen a nice job keeping up with, and even staying ahead of, the game. I'll only get the meatball marinara; because it's the only one too big a pain in my tail to make ate home.

littleguy301

I have grown fond of Jimmy Jons subs.

Also, I like herberts and gerberts. Though they made a nice sub.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

padre

Stopped going to Cousins after they cut out the gyro sub(at least the Wausau one did).  Their sauce on the steak and cheese killed the sandwich....its too bad because the bread was the best.

bigG

Herbert and Gerbert are good. Since Suburpia was my first, I still get the hankerin' when I see the one in Waukesha and have one on the rare day I get through there.