WIAA and WEATHER (NOT OFFICIAL / CHECK WITH SCHOOL DISTRICT/WIAA)

Started by beastmode, February 20, 2023, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinalWord

Several schools in the NW have already cancelled for Wed/Thursday due to winter storm warning. WIAA may have to change their policy.
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

DocWrestling

Cannot be too harsh on WIAA.  It is what it is and they have no other options.  I suppose it is possible that UW-Madison would say they cannot host it.

The only other option would be to find 4 HS fieldhouses and at each one run one division and then one for girls and run it on Friday and Saturday.

Other option could be to cancel Thursday and only wrestle Friday and Saturday but would almost have to make all divisions single elimination.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

They gave 72 hours notice, news probably 96 hours. Not like this storm will sneak up on anyone.

crossface21

Quote from: bigoil on February 21, 2023, 07:51:48 PMThey gave 72 hours notice, news probably 96 hours. Not like this storm will sneak up on anyone.

True, but then you're asking schools to pay more money for hotels, food, etc. to get there early. Many of the hotels require 3 night minimums during the State Tournament in addition to jacking up the prices. Gets to be pretty expensive to add on a night.  Plus, for many it's district policy for no events if no school.

crossface21

Here's a hypothetical:

A district has a policy of no activities if school is canceled. What if a district is canceled on Thursday, but somehow a wrestler just happens to make his/her way to the Kohl Center. What if a coach is in his/her corner knowing the policy? Would this wrestler be ruled ineligble if they step on the mat or what if it's found out Thursday night/Friday morning the wrestler participated? Would they be ruled ineligible and forced to forfeit? Would the wrestler they beat move on instead?

bigoil

We have about 30 kids going an additional night, club is picking up the cost not associated with the participants and one coach, which the school covers.

Hotel was super accommodating (they are pretty empty on Wednesdays)

DocWrestling

All true but what is the alternative option?  Pretty sure the kids and coaches don't want the weather to change their experience.  I guess I trust that no district is going to deny an athlete to attend but they may require them to find their own transportation and sign a waiver form for liability

Ghetto

Quote from: crossface21 on February 21, 2023, 08:08:33 PMHere's a hypothetical:

A district has a policy of no activities if school is canceled. What if a district is canceled on Thursday, but somehow a wrestler just happens to make his/her way to the Kohl Center. What if a coach is in his/her corner knowing the policy? Would this wrestler be ruled ineligble if they step on the mat or what if it's found out Thursday night/Friday morning the wrestler participated? Would they be ruled ineligible and forced to forfeit? Would the wrestler they beat move on instead?

This is an excellent question.

As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bulldog

I get that it is the state tournament and we are all guessing at the answer. How has the WIAA not had a plan for this scenario in please already? This is not the first time weather has been raised as a possible issue the week of state. Does the WIAANot have a plan in place to address this?

Or is this a district issue that schools have not addressed?

DocWrestling

The WIAA has told everyone the tournament will be run as usual.  They are going ahead with their plan.  It is now a district issue.  I cannot imagine any district not allowing a student to participate but you never know.

Many schools are already canceled for Thursday so I am sure those districts are discussing what will happen with their athletes.  I am sure coaches have been in contact with school boards and administrators and the fact that we have not heard that someone cannot participate already is a good sign

crossface21

It's easy for me to say this year as we don't have a wrestler going to Madison. But as a coach, I know the approach we would take is wrestle now and deal with the consequences later.

I would say though, I would not transport the wrestler. WAAAY too much liability in this case. I would imagine that would be endangering student safety and probably a fireable offense. That's why I bring up the point about being in the wrestlers corner. Don't know if that would be such a great idea?

Ghetto

Quote from: crossface21 on February 21, 2023, 09:10:52 PMIt's easy for me to say this year as we don't have a wrestler going to Madison. But as a coach, I know the approach we would takee is wrestle now and dealing with the consequences later.

That's my plan
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

DocWrestling

Thinking like a school attorney scared about liability if something happened to coach, teacher, or student leads me to think this...

1) Wrestlers and parents can sign a waiver to travel on their own.  Similar to many traveling that way after signing out after events, etc.
2) Coaches can be a whole new level though as employees but many businesses with have employees on the roads over next two days.  Most schools only have a couple athletes so in our district that means the coach drives a district Yukon SUV.  I could see districts worried about this liability.  This is also tough because it is not just there and back.  It is having a vehicle to get to hotel and back and such.  Could a district also just decline district vehicle and coach signs a waiver to travel on own?
3) Could a wrestler compete without a coach present?

I just hope everyone gets to wrestle and nobody gets hurt on the roads.

bulldog

Thinking like an actual lawyer...the waiver is barely worth the paper it is written on when accidents happen and someone gets hurt or possibly killed. If a tournament in season is held but school going to tournament cancels school the parents and coaches cannot sign a waiver to still attend the tournament. And when we boil things down the state tournament is a tournament. So unless the district has already addressed this scenario they have already set a precedent and really would not be able to change their stance.

I hope somehow there is a plan for this scenario and everyone can compete and stay safe. It is shocking if districts do not have an answer. We do live in Wisconsin

No One Cares

Maybe they can all wrestle each other virtually on Zoom (with masks on).