Duals week of 1/4

Started by littleguy301, January 04, 2015, 10:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shouldvewrestled

I will agree with Glide that it was the best show NR has put on against Ellsworth in a few years.  They came to wrestle and a break or two goes their way they could have ended the streak.  I think its the fun part of being a fan that we can question what coaches do.  They get paid the big bucks  :D to make decisions, I think they can handle a little criticism from fans. 

As to Jimmy's post I do agree with his statement.  I know, I have purple glasses on, but never understood only trying to win the matches you think you can win and basically throwing in the flag for the others.  Every match wrestled is an opportunity to get better.  Cant do that from the chairs alongside the mat.  Injuries and illness aside of course (and maybe it truly has been bad luck for NR in the past in this sense when they've wrestled Ellsworth). 

LG can fully understand your point that just winning some battles against a team like Ellsworth has been over the years is a great goal.  Most Ellsworth fans understand this too.  I think many don't understand forfeiting many weights when in all other duals a team has had a kid then all of a sudden they don't for the dual against Ellsworth.  Doesn't happen with every team.  Ellsworth has made some moves over the years their own fans have questioned too so not just questioning other teams either.

justaclone22

Not being from Ellsworth, I don't know the answer, and I could hardly understand the announcer last night for some reason, but can you tell me who wrestled at 170 & 182 for Ellsworth?

NWIS

Sigler at 170 and Weihart 182.
jmo but Neuman gave up too much weight in the move. Coach N saw the Ells kid @ 170 placed at bi state and didn't want to risk his kid losing. I thought that was a horrible decision.

shouldvewrestled

PA system was bad for some reason last night usually pretty good. You aren't only one to say that justaclone.
170 for Ellsworth was Sigler and 182 was Weighart.

justaclone22

Quote from: NWIS on January 09, 2015, 06:24:08 PM
Sigler at 170 and Weihart 182.
jmo but Neuman gave up too much weight in the move. Coach N saw the Ells kid @ 170 placed at bi state and didn't want to risk his kid losing. I thought that was a horrible decision.
I'm positive that's exactly what was said in the team huddle.......Richard.

justaclone22

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on January 09, 2015, 06:25:42 PM
PA system was bad for some reason last night usually pretty good. You aren't only one to say that justaclone.
170 for Ellsworth was Sigler and 182 was Weighart.
Thanks for the clarification.

npope

Quote from: Street Glide on January 08, 2015, 11:51:38 PM
...They weighed in a 113lber but didn't put him out.  Very confusing.  Guranteeing Ellsworth 12 more FREE points.  Why was the kid even weighed in?  What ever the reasons for these is up to the coach...

Not to say that this is why NR did this, but there are some reasons why this might happen - I did once or twice when I was a coach. First, I always wanted someone weighed-in at each weight whether I am going to put the kid on the mat or not. Doing so tends to "lock in" the other team's kids at specific weights. This prevents the other coach from moving kids into an out of their line-up in an attempt to maximize the points available when a forfeit might be available.

For example, we once wrestled a team that had a defending state champ at 112 and we had a very good 119 pounder (who would also eventually become a state champ). Our regular 112 pounder incurred an injury that would sideline him for the season earlier that week. The next "man up" was a freshman with no varsity experience. I did not want the freshman's first experience on varsity to be a beat-down of significant proportion, so I was ready to forfeit. Argue if you will the value of any match wrestled, I didn't feel this would be a good experience for our kid. At the same time, I didn't want the other team to move some "lesser" wrestler into the 122 slot and move the defending champ up a weight to possibly take away what we viewed as a certain win - with possible bonus points.

The opposing coach couldn't know the issues we were dealing with in advance or how good (or how bad) our 112 pounder really was. As a result, he sends out his champ at 112 expecting a match and we forfeit; our 119 pounder wails on their kid. The net result essentially is essentially a split in the points available, instead of possibly being swept across those two weights.

Anyway, that was my logic on the matter. I truly regret that we couldn't put a kid on the mat to give the fans a chance to see the defending champ wrestle (which made me very unpopular in some circles), but I had my reasons.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Stripes

I agree with that logic npope.

The Last Ride

Hudson 50- Ellsworth 15. Hudson big bonus points 160-182. Klabon 3-1 over Matzek.
"Do or do not. There is no try."

– Yoda

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: The Last Ride on January 10, 2015, 11:46:57 AM
Hudson 50- Ellsworth 15. Hudson big bonus points 160-182. Klabon 3-1 over Matzek.

Hudson looked sharp. Should get a good dual with Hutchinson. Would say they are D1 team to beat in our area for sure. Keep it up and will get their shot at the ghosts in march.

pantherphotoman

Who picked up the 15 points for Ellsworth?

shouldvewrestled

Koller major decision, Skelton fall, Lantz tech.

Stripes

Quote from: shouldvewrestled on January 10, 2015, 12:32:52 PM
Quote from: The Last Ride on January 10, 2015, 11:46:57 AM

Hudson looked sharp. Should get a good dual with Hutchinson. Would say they are D1 team to beat in our area for sure. Keep it up and will get their shot at the ghosts in march.

That regional team race will be a beast. Hudson has a couple horses but are balanced, same with Menomonie who has a couple more horses. Through in north and new Richmond with their solid guys and I'm not sure you can even predict a winner. Could be a result that surprises everybody. Don't forget that Menomonie has a couple kids who have been off the radar, kress and Kadlec, and their heavy weight is battling back from a football injury. Not sure if anybody is aware of timeline on his return. Sorry for hijacking a Mbc thread.