Weekend Tourney Recap

Started by Kodonnelllaw, January 30, 2015, 07:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kodonnelllaw

Recent topics of posting have surrounded ways to improve youth wrestling.

One way to improve youth wrestling would be to improve the overall tournament. It is not uncommon for me to receive an email from wrestling friends across the state inquiring about the ins and outs and dos and don'ts of particular tournaments that they are considering traveling too. Maybe a good way to address some of those issues would be to recap term ends on a weekly basis so that others can decide which tournaments I will be going to, and tournament directors can learn from mistakes of others and improve their turn mints.

My son recently attended the tournament in Racine at case high school. This was the first time we have attended this tournament as it has been canceled in the recent past due to poor numbers.

Racine:

Non Weigh in

Skin and fingernail check

Clinic prior to wrestling

Half mats for youth wrestlers. Blocked off so no mat crowds.

High school/college refereeing (the refs an exceptional job)

Wrestling started at 9:30 AM on the dot. There was a 25 minute break after the second round.

Concession stand prices and selection (fruit available) were reasonable.

Awards reception was very quick and efficient.

Bracketing: Fine. My son had an excellent, good, good, average.

Left the building at 1:30 PM.

Way to improve: open the seating on both sides of the mats from the moment the doors open. No break in between the second and third session.

Well run tourney. Would attend again.

Please chime in on your position on this tourney as well as a recap of others (Kettle Morraine, etc).