Conference

Started by littleguy301, February 08, 2016, 10:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

While I know it takes alot of things for the conference tournament to happen and alot of help, I do have some questions about last weekend.

I thought Somerset had run conference, regionals and sectionals before, am I correct?
I personally felt there was very little excitement generated for the tournament. I stopped down town for a cool beverage and some food and those people working had no idea that there was a tournament in town. No signs or anything. I remember not so long ago that some of the local places had signs up welcoming the wrestlers and such.

I heard no medals at the awards stand. They were going to try to get some and mail them out. Is this true?

How about giving those kids some props and such like so and so is a 2 time MBC champ. Man we have a conference treasure like Hunter Marko that is a nationally ranked wrestlers, 4 time conference champ and such and all I got was the 138 champ Hunter Marko. Maybe it is the wrestling geek in me but I want to hear ranked 5 in the nation and u of m recruit and 4 time conference champ Hunter Marko.

That also goes for anyone that has won it a couple times and such.

I dont know, I know some of the workers there and they did a good job making all this happen but there seemed to be a very little excitiment surrounding anything there.

It could be me also, I have been to the Clash, Minnesota x-tourny this year and they hype the crap out of anything and it was exciting.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

NWIS

Failing to realize the importance of a 2 or 3 or 4 time MBC championship is unbelievable. The communities affected, especially Amery should get a formal apology from the Somerset AD. Then forced to step down.

pantherphotoman

My first post of the year shouldn't be negative, but I will say that I completely agree with LG on this. I was thinking the same things that you mentioned.

Also, I pretty much suck this season with my involvement on this site. It's having everyone contribute that makes this site great, and I haven't done my part either. It sure would be nice to have more contributors. Thank you, LG for your commitment. You are the MBC rockstar on this site. Let's get it going as we are diving into the best four weeks of the season!

littleguy301

Quote from: NWIS on February 08, 2016, 11:27:05 AM
Failing to realize the importance of a 2 or 3 or 4 time MBC championship is unbelievable. The communities affected, especially Amery should get a formal apology from the Somerset AD. Then forced to step down.

Well that is pretty harsh.

To be honest wasnt there some multi times conference champs. I guess I would have heard if it was announced.

just saying if it is truely about the kids, then lets hype that up because of all the years they put in to get to that moment. It would be nice to be rewarded or take a second to throw out some hype.

It was easy to pick out Hunter but it is alot more than that.

I like in the past that it was made a good deal whether it was New Richmond, Prescott, Osceola, Ellsworth and such.

Just some observation from the littleguy but once again you dont have to agree but just thought I would put it out there.

justaclone22

Hunter Marko, Amery - 4 time champ
Bennett Paulson, Amery - 2 time champ
Tristen Mueller, Ellsworth - 2 time champ
Owen Matzek, Ellsworth - 2 time champ
John Keifer, New Richmond - 2 time champ

Those are the ones I know for sure. Hopeful I didn't miss any.

3wrestle

Loved seeing photos of our friends kids around the state with Medals and Brackets... Apparently every conference but ours knows how to obtain these items.
There was someone shaking the boys hands as they went to the podium telling theses boys the would be receiving medals - when is the million dollar question? It is Laughable
our son just thought the print out was weird considering what has been done in the 3 prior years. We feel bad for some of the young men who would of gotten a medal for the first time.

I will never forget listening to the announcer in Osceola when our son was a freshman say 2 time State Champ 3 time MBC Jens Lantz and thinking just how amazing that was....
Or when years ago they gave two OW awards and apologized for not having two plaques prepared- that second plaque was delivered within the week.

Good Luck to all the area wrestlers this weekend may they all stay injury free and wrestle their best!

NWIS1

I don't think the matter was "laughable". It was disgraceful, period. If the sport was football you can be sure Somerset would have had medals, charts, and proper recognition. The Somerset AD failed miserably to properly prepare for this event and I don't think losing their job is too harsh.

FinalWord

Quote from: NWIS1 on February 10, 2016, 08:59:03 AM
I don't think the matter was "laughable". It was disgraceful, period. If the sport was football you can be sure Somerset would have had medals, charts, and proper recognition. The Somerset AD failed miserably to properly prepare for this event and I don't think losing their job is too harsh.

I am in total agreement!
" I never met a man I didn't like except Will Rodgers."

3wrestle

Quote from: NWIS1 on February 10, 2016, 08:59:03 AM

By laughable I mean I find it ridiculous that they tell the kids they are getting medals and I do not believe there is any intention of resolving this matter. It's pathetic, ridiculous and inexcusable to tell these kids something they have no intention of following thru on. By no means do I believe this is a funny matter!
Our boosters are going to do something for our wrestlers so they have a token to remember how well they did at MBC tournament.
We are thankful Osceola is hosting sectionals this year as they put on a great event.

shouldvewrestled

If they weren't going to put the effort in there is always the option of passing on your turn to host. Agree it should have been handled better from what is being said.

yaknowwhatimean?

You have a first time coach, who is the third coach in three years if i'm not mistaken, and you want a first rate tournament?  Maybe the MBC should have some sort of committee to make sure that each Conference tourney is run with equal oversight regardless of location.  Don't leave the semantics up to the host school.  Maybe you should join the BRC/DSC tourney and make a mini state tourney out of it.  I don't think Ellsworth or Amery would object. 

shouldvewrestled

Quote from: yaknowwhatimean? on February 10, 2016, 12:10:36 PM
You have a first time coach, who is the third coach in three years if i'm not mistaken, and you want a first rate tournament?  Maybe the MBC should have some sort of committee to make sure that each Conference tourney is run with equal oversight regardless of location.  Don't leave the semantics up to the host school.  Maybe you should join the BRC/DSC tourney and make a mini state tourney out of it.  I don't think Ellsworth or Amery would object.  

Wouldn't be so sure even Ellsworth or Amery would want that, plus would need to be a two day conference tournament with match limits. Not to mention that is a rough tournament to put your kids through right before the ultimate goal for individuals starts up.  Fun idea for fans for sure but maybe not best idea for the kids.

Somerset has been in charge of many wrestling tournaments in the past.  It is not too much to ask IMO to have medals and charts. Announcing multi-time champions I can see not happening but could just have coaches or finalists fill out a quick bio sheet before finals of each finalist.  If anything bringing it up can help it not happen again.  I'm sure it was not anyone in Somerset's goal to upset people but bringing up ways to improve is not bad either.

wrestlingshoes

I had a conversation this morning with the school I was told the conference provides the awards and I believe the wall charts. Who is to blame at this point is mute ( Conference or School) for them not being there. They (Somerset) is getting this taken care of I will either delivery them to the schools myself or at Regionals or Sectionals to the coaches. I know this is not the same as having them there that day but you will receive them I and Somerset will see to it. I'm not as involved  as I use to be, but wrestling is one of thee most demanding sports kids deserve there accolades. Looking back it should have been announced perhaps the why or when with a apology for the delay hind sight is always 20/20. We will learn from this. If there is more concerns please call me and I will relay it to the right people. I do not know if the charts will be filled in or not I will look into that.

Thanks Mitch Flandrick 715-760-1856

shouldvewrestled

Thanks for the clarification Mitch and for helping making the situation right.

littleguy301

Mitch,,,that is awesome!!!!!!!

That is something very positive that you are doing. I am sure you had a good confo and got things straightened out with that.

Thanks again for helping out with this problem!!!!!