WIAA and WEATHER (NOT OFFICIAL / CHECK WITH SCHOOL DISTRICT/WIAA)

Started by beastmode, February 20, 2023, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bulldog

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 22, 2023, 11:03:35 AM
Quote from: bulldog on February 22, 2023, 07:28:06 AMlittleguy301 - so (if I understand correctly) the WIAA has waved school cancellation. Meaning even if the school canceled but a wrestler shows up at state the WIAA will still allow them to wrestle?

But it really isn't up to the WIAA...it is up to the district if they are going to change their policy about no activities if school is canceled...right?

Additionally if the storm is going to be as bad as everyone is claiming there is a chance the WI State Patrol issues a travel ban.

This scenario really goes beyond what the WIAA says. I think if the WIAA "waves" school canceling policy it is purely lip service to redirect the questions back to the school...where it really belongs in the first place.

I guess the school can do something the WIAA doesn't want.

If the WIAA says the policy is waved then it takes the pressure off the schools.

Yes if the kids show up they can wrestle with out any hassle from schools.

All schools refer back to the WIAA on athletics and the rules. If the WIAA has waved certain rules then well for the most parts schools will follow. Most schools in my area have left already and are in Madison as in type or will be there shortly. I am sure some schools maybe caught in a mess. I hope not.

Yeah...I see that. I just spoke to our school and as long as the WIAA said it was okay they are okay.

crossface21

The WIAA waved all the school cancelling "stuff." I don't even know what that means. I would think it's the local school districts decision?

When it's 70's and sunny I doubt a school would cancel classes or stop travel because of weather. This is hazardous weather that is gonna be tough to travel in. Apples to oranges comparison.

Could a wrestler compete without a coach? Maybe, but how do they get their packet which contains their floor pass when entering the KC? Does the coach need to get it or would they give it to the wrestler?

Dippin Dots are getting too expensive!!!

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bulldog

Careful Crossface...if you keep talking like that Doc is going to jump all over your stuff

TomM...so maybe you know. I got this from a parent "The wiaa waived all rules about school attendance and ability for system to pay for extra day so teams can go today..team leaves at noon.." Are parents not being informed correctly?

TomM

I know nothing about that.
Until you see it in the hand of your AD, don't count on it.
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

littleguy301

Quote from: TomM on February 22, 2023, 07:54:43 AMATTENTION - ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE:

INFORMATION OBTAINED VIA THIS FORUM IS NOT OFFICIAL.
ONLY INFORMATION DIRECTLY FROM THE LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT AND/OR WIAA IS OFFICIAL

DOUBLE CHECK, DOUBLE CHECK, DOUBLE CHECK!

So true. I got an email with information about schools closing and all the stuff. Before our school did anything we got all the info to make sure we are doing things right.

Yes, people please check ahead before doing things you may regret. Our school did and away we go.

Good luck and be safe on your travels!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

MatScoutWillie

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 22, 2023, 02:47:10 PM
Quote from: TomM on February 22, 2023, 07:54:43 AMATTENTION - ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE:

ONLY INFORMATION DIRECTLY FROM THE LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT AND/OR WIAA IS OFFICIAL

So true. I got an email with information about schools closing and all the stuff. Before our school did anything we got all the info to make sure we are doing things right.

Yes, people please check ahead before doing things you may regret. Our school did and away we go.

If you're making decisions based on what is said here, you're an idiot. 

MarkK

It seems like there is always weird weather this weekend.  Last year. Nice.  The last couple of years has not been too bad. But it is unpredictable.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Wis-Mallard

Plenty of wrestlers at hotels within walking distance of Kohl Center. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Army Ant

I know this is a bad situation but I also doubt there's a viable alternative for wiaa. Trying to reschedule this for any time in near future with all the people, workers and reservations, etc involved would be a logistical nightmare,if possible at all.

littleguy301

Quote from: MatScoutWillie on February 22, 2023, 05:22:22 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on February 22, 2023, 02:47:10 PM

If you're making decisions based on what is said here, you're an idiot. 

Unless there is a cool refreshing beverage waiting for you after that decision!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Houndhead

Quote from: bigoil on February 22, 2023, 09:15:46 AMSomewhere Woody is smiling and saying we can do this !!

There is probably only about 8 people on this forum that know what you're talking about. ;D

Houndhead

Quote from: hutgoose on February 22, 2023, 09:56:50 AMFor most of southern WI travel should be ok in the morning. It's the north that's supposed to get all that snow today.  Safe traveling everyone.

Everyone knows that there are not any good wrestlers in the north anyway. Who cares if they make it?

statman

they don't call me statman for nothin

Scramble_king

Quote from: Houndhead on February 23, 2023, 06:48:20 AM
Quote from: hutgoose on February 22, 2023, 09:56:50 AMFor most of southern WI travel should be ok in the morning. It's the north that's supposed to get all that snow today.  Safe traveling everyone.

Everyone knows that there are not any good wrestlers in the north anyway. Who cares if they make it?

All the good wrestlers live within an hour of Madison