WIAA and WEATHER (NOT OFFICIAL / CHECK WITH SCHOOL DISTRICT/WIAA)

Started by beastmode, February 20, 2023, 08:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Quote from: Ghetto on February 21, 2023, 08:26:25 PM
Quote from: crossface21 on February 21, 2023, 08:08:33 PMHere's a hypothetical:

A district has a policy of no activities if school is canceled. What if a district is canceled on Thursday, but somehow a wrestler just happens to make his/her way to the Kohl Center. What if a coach is in his/her corner knowing the policy? Would this wrestler be ruled ineligble if they step on the mat or what if it's found out Thursday night/Friday morning the wrestler participated? Would they be ruled ineligible and forced to forfeit? Would the wrestler they beat move on instead?

This is an excellent
Quote from: Ghetto on February 21, 2023, 08:26:25 PM
Quote from: crossface21 on February 21, 2023, 08:08:33 PMHere's a hypothetical:

A district has a policy of no activities if school is canceled. What if a district is canceled on Thursday, but somehow a wrestler just happens to make his/her way to the Kohl Center. What if a coach is in his/her corner knowing the policy? Would this wrestler be ruled ineligble if they step on the mat or what if it's found out Thursday night/Friday morning the wrestler participated? Would they be ruled ineligible and forced to forfeit? Would the wrestler they beat move on instead?

This is an excellent question.

Wiaa waved all the school canceling stuff so no worries to this problem!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

littleguy301

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 21, 2023, 09:26:13 PMThinking like a school attorney scared about liability if something happened to coach, teacher, or student leads me to think this...

1) Wrestlers and parents can sign a waiver to travel on their own.  Similar to many traveling that way after signing out after events, etc.
2) Coaches can be a whole new level though as employees but many businesses with have employees on the roads over next two days.  Most schools only have a couple athletes so in our district that means the coach drives a district Yukon SUV.  I could see districts worried about this liability.  This is also tough because it is not just there and back.  It is having a vehicle to get to hotel and back and such.  Could a district also just decline district vehicle and coach signs a waiver to travel on own?
3) Could a wrestler compete without a coach present?

I just hope everyone gets to wrestle and nobody gets hurt on the roads.

It could be bright and sunshine with 70 degree weather in may and this could happen. Accident happens that is why one has insurance.

Yes a wrestler could compete with out coach.

I believe in the rules it states that athletes need to ride to events in a school owned vehicle. I doubt anyone checks though.

bulldog

littleguy301 - so (if I understand correctly) the WIAA has waved school cancellation. Meaning even if the school canceled but a wrestler shows up at state the WIAA will still allow them to wrestle?

But it really isn't up to the WIAA...it is up to the district if they are going to change their policy about no activities if school is canceled...right?

Additionally if the storm is going to be as bad as everyone is claiming there is a chance the WI State Patrol issues a travel ban.

This scenario really goes beyond what the WIAA says. I think if the WIAA "waves" school canceling policy it is purely lip service to redirect the questions back to the school...where it really belongs in the first place.

bulldog

Quote from: littleguy301 on February 22, 2023, 07:17:45 AM
Quote from: DocWrestling on February 21, 2023, 09:26:13 PMThinking like a school attorney scared about liability if something happened to coach, teacher, or student leads me to think this...

1) Wrestlers and parents can sign a waiver to travel on their own.  Similar to many traveling that way after signing out after events, etc.
2) Coaches can be a whole new level though as employees but many businesses with have employees on the roads over next two days.  Most schools only have a couple athletes so in our district that means the coach drives a district Yukon SUV.  I could see districts worried about this liability.  This is also tough because it is not just there and back.  It is having a vehicle to get to hotel and back and such.  Could a district also just decline district vehicle and coach signs a waiver to travel on own?
3) Could a wrestler compete without a coach present?

I just hope everyone gets to wrestle and nobody gets hurt on the roads.

It could be bright and sunshine with 70 degree weather in may and this could happen. Accident happens that is why one has insurance.

Yes a wrestler could compete with out coach.

I believe in the rules it states that athletes need to ride to events in a school owned vehicle. I doubt anyone checks though.

No one checks until there is an accident and the insurance denies the claim and the school is held liable.

DocWrestling

bulldog,

All you are doing is complaining and saying the sky is falling and coming up with what ifs.

What is it that you want to happen?  Do you think the WIAA should cancel the tournament?  Then what?

I am not understanding what you want to happen. This is an unfortunate weather event and we live in Wisconsin.  Everyone is concerned that all athletes, fans, and coaches get to Madison.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

No One Cares

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 22, 2023, 07:36:17 AMbulldog,

All you are doing is complaining and saying the sky is falling and coming up with what ifs.

What is it that you want to happen?  Do you think the WIAA should cancel the tournament?  Then what?

I am not understanding what you want to happen. This is an unfortunate weather event and we live in Wisconsin.  Everyone is concerned that all athletes, fans, and coaches get to Madison.

Doc, everyone know this is all happening because Barry Davis was a horrible coach and because AWA kids won't go to Madison.   So, at the end of the day, because Chris Bono coaches in "Madison," well, it's all his fault. 

TomM

ATTENTION - ADMINISTRATIVE NOTE:

INFORMATION OBTAINED VIA THIS FORUM IS NOT OFFICIAL.
ONLY INFORMATION DIRECTLY FROM THE LOCAL SCHOOL DISTRICT AND/OR WIAA IS OFFICIAL

DOUBLE CHECK, DOUBLE CHECK, DOUBLE CHECK!
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bulldog

Quote from: DocWrestling on February 22, 2023, 07:36:17 AMbulldog,

Great question Doc...what would you say should happen?

We are all sitting here on the forum saying WIAA should do this and maybe someone can sign a waiver and maybe kids "show up" and still wrestle. What I am saying is that all this chatter is goofy because a school district makes the decision and they have. Unless they have a provision for the state tournament they have said if school is canceled no school activities take place. The state tournament is still a school activity. I am guessing no school will say "send a couple kids on the road to Madison even though we don't feel we can bring kids into school"

BTW...like it or not, I have not been complaining...just pointing out the obvious.  Is it better to say "Sure, send a bunch of kids on the road in weather that the school district was determined is so bad they have to cancel class. We live in Wisconsin and we know how to drive on snowy roads so send the kids from all over the state to Madison. Don't plan...and if something happens well let's cross our fingers and hope they don't...because we live in Wisconsin"

You ask what do I want to happen? I want the skies to open up and flood the state with sun and warmth and melt all the snow away. I want the tournament to happen without any weather issues at all. I also want world peace. I also would want the WIAA and school districts to have a plan for this exact scenario already in place...because as you say "We live in Wisconsin" and there is no surprise that bad weather may happen from October to April

What do you think should be done...and then think of it from a liability and school district standpoint.

bigoil

I would assume by now that every coach and AD (and likely AD to superintendents) have taken place with a plan in place. If they haven't, that's the only potential problem. Communicate!!

DocWrestling

I think your are underestimating the WIAA and school districts.  I am sure they have had a plan and continue to tinker with it.  I would bet they are in constant contact with districts and UW.

WIAA e-mailed out their plan on Monday.  It said we are having the tournament as is.  Are you asking them to change that plan?

School districts have policies and plans.  They can be adjusted.  Is anyone aware of any athlete already been told they cannot compete due to the weather and school cancellations?  Many schools have canceled already for tomorrow.

Maybe if WIAA hears that schools are not allowing kids to attend they will adjust their plan and I bet they are working on plans that might include only a Friday/Saturday tournament. I bet they are working on a plan also in case UW closes the campus tomorrow and thus they do not even have a choice.  I bet they are calculating how many matches they can run by going all day long on 8 mats and logistics of that with sessions and tickets.  Will they adjust and make it a single elimination tournament?  That is probably only way to eliminate Thursday.  Kind of a perfect storm with adding the girls and then possibly also having a weather cancellation. 

Just because you don't know the plans or options it does not mean that people are not working hard on all this to give the wrestlers the best possible experience.

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

bigoil

hutgoose

For most of southern WI travel should be ok in the morning. It's the north that's supposed to get all that snow today.  Safe traveling everyone.

fryguy518

Our team is leaving to Madison in a few minutes to try and beat the bigger surge.  Our club will go buy some 2 up snowmobiles if need be to get the kids down there.  Gonna be just fine! 

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

littleguy301

Quote from: bulldog on February 22, 2023, 07:28:06 AMlittleguy301 - so (if I understand correctly) the WIAA has waved school cancellation. Meaning even if the school canceled but a wrestler shows up at state the WIAA will still allow them to wrestle?

But it really isn't up to the WIAA...it is up to the district if they are going to change their policy about no activities if school is canceled...right?

Additionally if the storm is going to be as bad as everyone is claiming there is a chance the WI State Patrol issues a travel ban.

This scenario really goes beyond what the WIAA says. I think if the WIAA "waves" school canceling policy it is purely lip service to redirect the questions back to the school...where it really belongs in the first place.

I guess the school can do something the WIAA doesn't want.

If the WIAA says the policy is waved then it takes the pressure off the schools.

Yes if the kids show up they can wrestle with out any hassle from schools.

All schools refer back to the WIAA on athletics and the rules. If the WIAA has waved certain rules then well for the most parts schools will follow. Most schools in my area have left already and are in Madison as in type or will be there shortly. I am sure some schools maybe caught in a mess. I hope not.