Gopher State Nationals- Jan 31 Entry Deadline

Started by MYASGUY, January 27, 2014, 11:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MYASGUY

Entry Deadline- Wed, Jan 31 at 3pm

1100 wrestlers each year from 10-12 states!!

More info http://www.myas.org/gm/program.asp?SportID=12&ProgramID=53

February 8, 2014: Grades 3 & 4, 5 & 6,
February 9, 2014: Grades Pre-K & K, 1 & 2, 7 & 8
Monticello, MN

See what others have said about Gopher State http://www.myas.org/gm/program.asp?NewsID=1188&SportID=12&ProgramID=53

Picture of the facility https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.567477219930135.137907.150707414940453&type=3

Highlights
- Electronic score clocks
- Identify top wrestlers in each bracket and position them so they do not meet until the later rounds
- Online results posted periodically throughout the weekend
- Round-by-round results printed on-site at tournament
- Big brackets
- Wrestlers from 10-12 different states every year
- Increased effort to recruit wrestlers from other states
- Big custom awards
- Sufficient parking available
- More mat space; full mats for grades 3-8 and half mats for grades K-2
- Brackets posted online before tournament
- 1.5 minute periods for grades 5 & 6, along with grades 7 & 8
- High School Certified Officials
- Ability to view registered wrestlers
- Great facility with plenty of seating
- Very well run/smooth tournament flow
- Tournament starts on time and is completed in a reasonable time

Jeremy Innes
Midwest Wrestling Tour

Hand Control

MYAS and the people that are behind you helping you ,I say THANK YOU. The tournament that you guys run is second to none and it will be the youth tournament that we as a family will miss the most next year. We have enjoyed all the years of your well ran events and to the wrestling families that have not been to Badgerland or Gopher State ,I would say take your kids to them and don't miss out on a great opportunity.
I have a question if you could answer it "How many kids attended your events this year and how many of the cool belts got handed out?"

nutman

Also - Don't forget to go to the Gopherland website and get the e-mail for James and thank him for donating the singlets that went to the champions.  That went above and beyond the call of duty.  He attributes the hard work he learned in wrestling to many of successes in life and wants to give back.  Pretty Cool!  It is a good reminder for all of us.

-Also a big shout out to the organization of the tournament.   On Sunday the electricity went out in the middle of the tournament.  The security lights came on just enough to see the mats.  Most of the scoreboards were battery operated.  The scoreboards that were not were replaced with flip charts and stop watches.  About five minutes later, the matches were running again...the kids got the feel of what it was like to wrestle in a dark gym under a spotlight.   Nobody got rattled and resumed as if nothing happened.  They seemed to have all contingencies covered.

MYASGUY

Thank you for the kind words. It makes all the hard work worth it. We have a really good team in place with a lot of people who put a lot time and effort into these tournaments.

We gave out 120 belts over the weekend. It seemed like the kids loved them. I think we had about 30 kids who got both a belt and a singlet, not a bad weekend.

Yes, please send James a note thanking him for the singlets that he donated. He can be reached at cwsinglets@aol.com. I know a lot of the local clubs are very happy with the product and the service he provides.

Thanks again and hope to see all of you at Gopher State, Badgerland and Hawkeye Nationals in 2014-15.
Jeremy Innes
Midwest Wrestling Tour