TrackWrestling to seed WIAA state

Started by Numbers, May 09, 2020, 02:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

padre

Quote from: factfinder on May 18, 2020, 09:53:14 PM
Quote from: Numbers on May 18, 2020, 09:00:12 PM
And how many more matches for the future girls state championship brackets?
What does that have to do with the boy's state? Its very unlikely the should or would be at the same time.

Luke,
Track Wrestling say's it 12 matches a mat, per hour so if you add 2 mats it would take 7 hours each mat for 2 days. Wisconsin is easy to do this with its a 3 day tournament, MN and Iowa do 16 man brackets plus team state on 8 mats in three days.
This is a super easy change!!!

I do believe the ultimate goal for the coaches is that the girls and boys would be wrestling at the same tournament.  Possibly a 4th mat for finals.  But that is a ways off yet.

thequad

With the Mn proposal the 2 state qualifiers keeps too many good wrestlers from qualifying for state! We see very often the 3 top wrestlers coming out of a sectional and the Mn proposal would make this impossible! How can this be a good thing? We should already be sending 4 to state now.
Show me a scenario that is better than what I proposed that will get the better individuals and teams to state? JMO
I am now OLD enough to know how little I knew when I knew it ALL.

bigoil

Quote from: thequad on May 20, 2020, 02:57:53 PM
With the Mn proposal the 2 state qualifiers keeps too many good wrestlers from qualifying for state! We see very often the 3 top wrestlers coming out of a sectional and the Mn proposal would make this impossible! How can this be a good thing? We should already be sending 4 to state now.
Show me a scenario that is better than what I proposed that will get the better individuals and teams to state? JMO

8 sections instead of 4

MNbadger

The thing I think people get stuck on is this; "good wrestlers staying home".  We will never avoid this in any system.  To think this will change is going to leave you chasing your tail for eternity.  Yes, we can make it better but even with our system in MN (and EVERYWHERE else) good wrestlers still get left.  It id a geographical system.  To do it based on strength of programs is prohibitively complicated.  Many programs ebb and flow, dome don't.
We have always been in the toughest section.  Ten or twelve years ago, the eighth and ninth seeds in our section tournament (we had nine teams in our section at that time) had combined to defeat 3 teams that ultimately made the state tournament that year. 
The most you can hope for is some minimal tweaking when teams are in close proximity. 
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrastle63

Your idea is just send more people to state. Quite revolutionary....

littleguy301

Minnesota sends 16 wrestlers for all 3 divisions to state which is 8 more kids per weight and 112 more overall. That lessens your chances of leaving some one at home.

Quad, how about starting the tournament on the first day of the season so every one has a chance and just hand out medals to everyone that fat tested. Not sure what you want.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

thequad

Quote from: bigoil on May 20, 2020, 03:07:05 PM

8 sections instead of 4
You are still letting good wrestlers behind!

wrastle63

Quote from: thequad on May 21, 2020, 11:23:43 AM

8 sections instead of 4
So let's give everyone a ribbon that's says "good wrestler, but the WIAA is unfair". I'm all for changing and making things better but you make absolutely ZERO sense. They talk about the Minnesota system that sends 16 wrestlers to state and that's not enough?  Not every wrestle can or should qualify for state.  ::) ::) ::)

thequad

Quote from: wrastle63 on May 21, 2020, 12:41:44 PM

8 sections instead of 4
So let's give everyone a ribbon that's says "good wrestler, but the WIAA is unfair". I'm all for changing and making things better but you make absolutely ZERO sense. They talk about the Minnesota system that sends 16 wrestlers to state and that's not enough?  Not every wrestle can or should qualify for state.  ::) ::) ::)
Obviously you and I will never agree on this but I have seen many times that the three top wrestlers have come from one sectional.But this is not doing justice to many good wrestlers. But if you think its right, that is your opinion.

wrastle63

Quote from: thequad on May 21, 2020, 02:44:57 PM
Quote from: wrastle63 on May 21, 2020, 12:41:44 PM

8 sections instead of 4
Obviously you and I will never agree on this but I have seen many times that the three top wrestlers have come from one sectional.But this is not doing justice to many good wrestlers. But if you think its right, that is your opinion.
Where are these many instances of the 3 best wrestlers being from one sectional? Also if you would actually read others posts you would understand that the sectionals would be split from 4 to 8 which is very similar to the D1 format. So to be a state qualifier you would need to be top 2 out of 13 teams.