NFHS rules changes for 13/14

Started by towelboy, May 06, 2013, 04:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

towelboy

NFHS 2013-14 Wrestling Rule Changes Announced
Forfeits No Longer Affect Wrestler

DocWrestling

So then a bye would not count as a match either right? 
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

kneeslide

Quote from: DocWrestling on May 06, 2013, 08:11:06 PM
So then a bye would not count as a match either right? 

A bye has never counted towards your 5 matches in a day.  The forfeit would count because their was supposed to be an opponent. 

boowrestle

that is correct byes have never counted towards the 5 match limit.
you can run but you cannot hide.

imnofish

With so many teams participating in big dual meet tournaments, this new rule certainly makes sense.  I can't think of any other situation in which it would typically apply, though.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigoil

How is it really going to help though?

Are you really going to schedule six duals because you may have a ff?

Ghetto

Doesn't seem to change anything.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

imnofish

I think it might give your top kids more chances to wrestle.  Teams will vary their lineups in dual meet tournaments, if they could wrestle more than 5 duals in a day.  If one of your studs gets a forfeit, he doesn't have to settle for that because he hasn't burned off one of his 5 matches. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigoil

Quote from: imnofish on May 07, 2013, 12:35:56 AM
I think it might give your top kids more chances to wrestle.  Teams will vary their lineups in dual meet tournaments, if they could wrestle more than 5 duals in a day.  If one of your studs gets a forfeit, he doesn't have to settle for that because he hasn't burned off one of his 5 matches. 

You would need to either know that the other teams have holes in their lineup or bring a backup at each weight or plan to FF.

imnofish

Quote from: howavi on May 07, 2013, 06:59:30 AM
Quote from: imnofish on May 07, 2013, 12:35:56 AM

You would need to either know that the other teams have holes in their lineup or bring a backup at each weight or plan to FF.

A backup at each weight would be a luxury for most teams, but if you have them available in the right spots you can bump some kids up, etc. and make a pretty dramatic change.  Teams do it all the time.  It's not uncommon to see a good kid receive a forfeit in a dual meet.  I've seen some good kids have trouble getting dual meet matches because of this.  If a team does this to you at a dual meet tournament, at least it doesn't take away your chance of wrestling later in the day.  You many not see this as much down south, but in some of the more rural events up north (where there are fewer participants) it could make a difference for a kid.  Obviously, this rule wasn't formulated out of thin air, without someone campaigning for the change.  This is really the only scenario that I can envision where it could rectify a problem.