Diesel fuel/heating oil

Started by bigoil, November 05, 2013, 09:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littleguy301

Quote from: howavi on November 06, 2013, 09:27:09 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on November 06, 2013, 09:16:00 PM
I go through around 500-600 gallons of LP for my heating needs a year.

I do NOT have a shop and the people I know that use oil and diesal have some hooks up and I believe they are happy with them.

I will keep my ears open if someone changes their mind or run into someone that would like to give it a try.

I meant for your work, either a plant or even on site if you burn waste oil or diesel to heat the asphalt (I know you call it something else , tar?)

Tar,,,,man in some circles that would get a fist in the old yapper.

Bitumous is mainly what it is called.

They use waste oil for the portable plants. For the deciated plants there is NOT enough waster oil to heat it. I will have to ask but I believe they use a couple of sources for that heat. I know there is a big direct LP? line run right to the plant and that comes directly from a source and the plant is the only line on it and that doesnt keep up when slamming mix down in cooler weather.

Takes alot of fuel to make 5000 tons in a 10 hours period in this weather.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

ramjet

How about drying corn on big farms they use lots of LP don't they?

littleguy301

Quote from: ramjet on November 07, 2013, 09:10:04 PM
How about drying corn on big farms they use lots of LP don't they?

Your right on that.

Drying the material that goes into asphalt is much like the corn drying but in asphalt you need to dry it right now!

bigoil

Quote from: littleguy301 on November 07, 2013, 06:34:12 PM
Quote from: howavi on November 06, 2013, 09:27:09 PM
Quote from: littleguy301 on November 06, 2013, 09:16:00 PM
I go through around 500-600 gallons of LP for my heating needs a year.

I do NOT have a shop and the people I know that use oil and diesal have some hooks up and I believe they are happy with them.

I will keep my ears open if someone changes their mind or run into someone that would like to give it a try.

I meant for your work, either a plant or even on site if you burn waste oil or diesel to heat the asphalt (I know you call it something else , tar?)

Tar,,,,man in some circles that would get a fist in the old yapper.

Bitumous is mainly what it is called.

They use waste oil for the portable plants. For the deciated plants there is NOT enough waster oil to heat it. I will have to ask but I believe they use a couple of sources for that heat. I know there is a big direct LP? line run right to the plant and that comes directly from a source and the plant is the only line on it and that doesnt keep up when slamming mix down in cooler weather.

Takes alot of fuel to make 5000 tons in a 10 hours period in this weather.

That's what we are going to be doing next summer with CNG. If you ever get a day off and head east, I'll show you.

littleguy301

Hey I had a chance to talk to the old owner of the place I work and I asked about CNG. Since he sold he hasnt been so up on the plant but here the info goes.

About a year or so ago they did away with any waste oil for heat because it simply could not keep up with the new overhaul of the plant. They are now directly natural gas all the way. They have and have had a direct line hooked up to a main natural gas line for years so at this time switching isnt in the cards though the new management could but I am out of the loop on that.

The new plant produces 600 tons a hour of asphalt. Not sure of the size of the plant you are talking about and the costs and the production. I know of the place you talk about in the article but I dont know much to be honest.

Long story Howavi, I gave up my inside with any office stuff when I left for a smaller company this past spring but I did wander back for friday and weekend work and since October I have been full time again but as a worker.

bigoil

I think your plant is bigger but we could handle bigger. Direct connect to NG is always the best, cheapest. Our solution is if NG isn't a possibility or is but will cost several millions. This could also work for those jobs that you would use portable units on, not sure if you guys did that.

bigoil

I have also been asked to look at solving a similar issue for sand drying. Fell thru on the first try, but there are many others out there! Any leads??

maggie

nice howavi, you've been busy i see. Did ya happen to get a chance to work with Kent at all?...or just John and Larry?...nice to see them changing over.. ;)  great guys!..
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

bigoil

Quote from: maggie on November 13, 2013, 07:31:35 AM
nice howavi, you've been busy i see. Did ya happen to get a chance to work with Kent at all?...or just John and Larry?...nice to see them changing over.. ;)  great guys!..

They are a great family.

littleguy301

Quote from: howavi on November 12, 2013, 10:27:01 PM
I think your plant is bigger but we could handle bigger. Direct connect to NG is always the best, cheapest. Our solution is if NG isn't a possibility or is but will cost several millions. This could also work for those jobs that you would use portable units on, not sure if you guys did that.

The company has 8? portable plants and they vary in what they used.

The bigger portables will look for a direct NG hook up but the smaller will use a combo of waste oil, Diesel, NG and what ever they can find.

I have heard that it takes around 6-10K a day to make the plant heat with NG. Not sure if that is an exact number or just a rumor but I know it is serious coin.