Diesel fuel/heating oil

Started by bigoil, November 05, 2013, 09:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigoil

Does anyone know of a large user of diesel fuel for space heat or other use, not able to be connected to natural gas.

bigoil

LG,

We created a virtual pipeline for nat gas by hauling cng, then regulating it back from 2800 psi to 20 psi at the burner tip for an asphalt maker, which can't get nat gas. This could work for you or others you know. But now I have this asset and would like to work it in the winter!! They hold 1200 gallons so it would have to be an industrial use or large building that needs to be heated but is done so with diesel/heating oil today.

Factory, School, greenhouse, warehouse, etc.

aarons23

Quote from: howavi on November 05, 2013, 10:47:10 PM
LG,

We created a virtual pipeline for nat gas by hauling cng, then regulating it back from 2800 psi to 20 psi at the burner tip for an asphalt maker, which can't get nat gas. This could work for you or others you know. But now I have this asset and would like to work it in the winter!! They hold 1200 gallons so it would have to be an industrial use or large building that needs to be heated but is done so with diesel/heating oil today.

1200 gallons is not that much...we go through 500 a month at my home (propane) in the winter and if the price was right, would heat our shop which could potentially double that.  So I would think many small business would be good candidates. 
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

bigoil

Quote from: aarons23 on November 06, 2013, 04:54:15 AM
LG,

it isn't a lot but I'd like to turn that truck every day :)

1200 gallons is not that much...we go through 500 a month at my home (propane) in the winter and if the price was right, would heat our shop which could potentially double that.  So I would think many small business would be good candidates. 

ramjet

Darn it I burn wood pellets LP back up

bigG

How do you like those pellets? In another three or four years I might replace my woodburner. (1961 SuperJack) I like it fine; but there are some issues arising with the firebricks.

I just don't know whether to go "new and improved" or hang with the old stuff.

As things stand, I pay about $600/year in propane and wood for heat and hot water. Wood takes some labor, though. Labor I usually enjoy; but still, it's work.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Roo

Quote from: aarons23 on November 06, 2013, 04:54:15 AM
LG,

When you compress a gas at high pressure, you can store more of it in the same volume....if that makes any sense.

A 1200 gallon tank with NG at 2800 psi, would have the equivalent of 228,000 gallons of natural gas at atmospheric pressure (14.7 psi).
A 1200 gallon tank with NG (or propane) at 32 PSI (what Propane is typically stored at) would have the equivalent of 2600 gallons at atmospheric pressure.

By storing it at 2800 psi, and then regulating it down to whatever they do (20-40 psi), a 1200 gallon tank has over 200,000 gallons available for use.

Interesting concept, so simple....sometimes those are the best kind of ideas.

bigoil

Essentially that is correct, need thick steel to hold 2800 psi, cng cars/trucks have 3600.

bigG

My buddy , our bus mechanic, says that's the current big drawback with CNG. It might take a whole night to fill a bus. 3,600 psi is some mother pressure.

Don't know how accurate that is. Still the prospect of the prices you said with similar torque to diesel make it alluring.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Ghetto

What's the "mileage" on CNG? The city of Milwaukee is selling it for 1.29 a gallon.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

littleguy301

I go through around 500-600 gallons of LP for my heating needs a year.

I do NOT have a shop and the people I know that use oil and diesal have some hooks up and I believe they are happy with them.

I will keep my ears open if someone changes their mind or run into someone that would like to give it a try.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigoil

Quote from: bigG on November 06, 2013, 06:30:28 PM
My buddy , our bus mechanic, says that's the current big drawback with CNG. It might take a whole night to fill a bus. 3,600 psi is some mother pressure.

Don't know how accurate that is. Still the prospect of the prices you said with similar torque to diesel make it alluring.

We are filling @10+gallons per minute, so 8 minutes and you are full. Now you can go with slow fill for those units that may sit overnight like a bus, but that is a choice, not a necessity.

We compress to 4500 psi (has to be higher than the desired 3600 otherwise you have equal indium and won't continue to fill).

ramjet

Quote from: bigG on November 06, 2013, 12:56:41 PM
How do you like those pellets? In another three or four years I might replace my woodburner. (1961 SuperJack) I like it fine; but there are some issues arising with the firebricks.

I just don't know whether to go "new and improved" or hang with the old stuff.

As things stand, I pay about $600/year in propane and wood for heat and hot water. Wood takes some labor, though. Labor I usually enjoy; but still, it's work.

Worked in the woods cut firewood my entire life finally said enough of that.

I have a Central Boiler 250k BTU outdoor boiler pellet fired with a 1 ton automatic hopper feeding it. I heat a 45 x 35 three stall garage well insulated. in that garage I keep it 60 degrees all winter with a water to air heat exchanger and line voltage thermostat. My house has roughly 5600 sq ft of living space with all hydronic base board heat. The pellet boiler feeds a flat plate heat exchanger then I have 6 zones in the house temp runs and average of 70-72 degrees. I heat the garage and house for $1700.00 that includes hot water.  That is 10 ton this time of year 1 ton gets me around 30 days or better. So I fill once per month. Really cold months. 2 tons per month. Efficiency is over 95% this will also burn corn, soybeans, cherry pits softwood or hardwood pellets.

bigoil

Quote from: Ghetto on November 06, 2013, 09:08:40 PM
What's the "mileage" on CNG? The city of Milwaukee is selling it for 1.29 a gallon.

Equivalent to gasoline, 10-15% less than diesel. The $1.29 has a fifty cent tax credit that will likely expire Dec 31.

The more you drive, the better your payback.

bigoil

Quote from: littleguy301 on November 06, 2013, 09:16:00 PM
I go through around 500-600 gallons of LP for my heating needs a year.

I do NOT have a shop and the people I know that use oil and diesal have some hooks up and I believe they are happy with them.

I will keep my ears open if someone changes their mind or run into someone that would like to give it a try.

I meant for your work, either a plant or even on site if you burn waste oil or diesel to heat the asphalt (I know you call it something else , tar?)