Book Club!!!

Started by DrSnide, September 27, 2013, 03:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSnide

Okay, Started this before and accidnetly deleted it. So What is everyone currently reading/recommending?

I am finishing up The United States of Paranoia by Jesse Walker.  Would recommend it - a good history/sociological look at conspiracy theories since the inception of the United States without a lot of judgment involved and appears largely non-partisan and very easy to read.

Next up should be the new DSM-5 which is sitting on my desk but probably not.  Thinking about American Psychosis: How the Federal Government Destroyed the Mental Illness Treatment System but I tend to not like to read "work related" stuff on my free time so maybe not.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Psychosis-Government-Destroyed-Treatment/dp/0199988714

Anyone have any ficion or non-fiction suggestions?
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Kjohnson

I like non fiction and need help finding a book.

Most of the time read non fiction about people who have been wrongly convicted of a crime, or a true crime, or a sports bio.

Fiction: The Shack. I know it's an older book but I liked it

bigG

I like non-fiction, too.

"Next up should be the new DSM-5 which is sitting on my desk but probably not."

LOL. I should read it, too. Glad it's not central to my job. Actually interesting, though.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DrSnide

Quote from: bigG on September 27, 2013, 05:52:46 PM
I like non-fiction, too.

LOL. I should read it, too. Glad it's not central to my job. Actually interesting, though.

See I did  pretty good job keeping tabs on the process and taught some college seminar courses on the new DSM so I kind of know the ending so to speak.  Plus I figure if I ever get a slow day (it could happen) I can put my feet on the desk and read it guilt free ;)

Ghetto

I'm a big fan of the James Patterson style of writing. I've read all his books.

I used to read Stephen King, then went back and read his gunslinger series this summer, which is the antithesis of James Patterson. I struggled with the super long descriptive stuff, but I made it through.  ;)
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

bigG

Quote from: DrSnide on September 27, 2013, 07:52:11 PM
Quote from: bigG on September 27, 2013, 05:52:46 PM
I like non-fiction, too.

See I did  pretty good job keeping tabs on the process and taught some college seminar courses on the new DSM so I kind of know the ending so to speak.  Plus I figure if I ever get a slow day (it could happen) I can put my feet on the desk and read it guilt free ;)

Yer a nut! I feel for ya. I had to take one of those classes. My prof. made it great, though. I'm sure your classes are long and arduous.  ;)

Todd

The Audacity of Hope- Barack Obama
Against All Odds- Father Dale Gruba
Push- Sapphire

All re-reads.
"This page intentionally left blank".

bigG

The Road to Serfdom-FA Hayek

Just into it. First time. Libertarian as all heck. So far, so good.

TomM

No Time For Cub Scouts - Not sure of author.  Read it in grade school... first book I read cover to cover.  Classic! 8)

As I recall, it was about a kid who wanted to start a cub scout troop in his new town...
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

DrSnide

Anyone read "This Town" yet.  Thinking about picking it up as it does not sound overly partisan either way.  Although it sounds like it may make me pretty angry - not sure I should chance it ;)

http://www.amazon.com/This-Town-Parties-Funeral-Plus-Americas/dp/0399161309

imnofish

I recently read:

The Shack and Crossroads (same author)  - both very good!

also, Proof of Heaven, by Dr. Eben Alexander  -  a truly amazing book

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

DrSnide

Quote from: futurerichguy on October 10, 2013, 02:23:26 PM
Quote from: Goat Roper on October 10, 2013, 02:03:05 PM
Maybe Potter is an atheist?
I know Harry Potter is an atheist.

What's up with all this religious and political reading?  Doesn't anybody read fiction anymore?

Wool trilogy, by Hugh Howey (great apocolyptic sci-fi)

I have heard good things about Wool,  may have to check it out.   Thanks

maggie

America BC: Ancient Settlers In The New World - Barry Fell
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

imnofish

Why would someone be so intent on "discrediting" an inspirational book, based on the personal experiences of a medical expert?  Personally, I found the book interesting, plausible, and inspirational.  Read the book and decide for yourself, rather than let someone talk you out of it prematurely. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

dman

Quote from: futurerichguy on October 11, 2013, 08:28:51 AM
Quote from: imnofish on October 10, 2013, 07:12:34 PM
Why would someone be so intent on "discrediting" an inspirational book, based on the personal experiences of a medical expert?  Personally, I found the book interesting, plausible, and inspirational.  Read the book and decide for yourself, rather than let someone talk you out of it prematurely. 
I'm only inspired by truth.

::) ::)