Kyle Burwick National Collegiate Open All-American

Started by Harris, March 03, 2020, 05:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris

Congratulations to Kyle Burwick on taking 2nd at the National Collegiate Open this past weekend which earned him All-American honors at 133.  He lost in the finals to a red shirt 3rd year wrestler who made it to the round of 12 last year as a sophomore at the NCAA tournament and qualified as a true freshman.  Beat a red shirt 2nd year Rutgers wrestler in the semi finals who was highly ranked (#3) from Blair Academy coming out of high school.  Way to represent UW at this prestigious national open tournament for college red shirts.  If you look at the past All Americans from this tournament you will see some really big names who went on to All American at the NCAA tournament.

bigoil

Quote from: Harris on March 03, 2020, 05:33:32 PM
Congratulations to Kyle Burwick on taking 2nd at the National Collegiate Open this past weekend which earned him All-American honors at 125.  He lost in the finals to a red shirt 3rd year wrestler who made it to the round of 12 last year as a sophomore at the NCAA tournament and qualified as a true freshman.  Beat a red shirt 2nd year Rutgers wrestler in the semi finals who was highly ranked (#3) from Blair Academy coming out of high school.  Way to represent UW at this prestigious national open tournament for college red shirts.  If you look at the past All Americans from this tournament you will see some really big names who went on to All American at the NCAA tournament.
That's great.

BuckyMatt

Great work Kyle! That win of the Rutgers kid was impressive!

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Harris

mkm13

Burwick has had a couple good wins this year (15-0 TF over Boo Dryden and win over Malcolm Robinson).  He has also lost to a few guys who you wouldn't expect. 

I would be curious if he is close to a full sized 133 yet, or will need the summer to get there for next year. 

walden_hiker

Congratulations to Kyle Burwick on taking 2nd at the National Collegiate Open this past weekend which earned him All-American honors at 125.  He lost in the finals to a red shirt 3rd year wrestler who made it to the round of 12 last year as a sophomore at the NCAA tournament and qualified as a true freshman.  Beat a red shirt 2nd year Rutgers wrestler in the semi finals who was highly ranked (#3) from Blair Academy coming out of high school.  Way to represent UW at this prestigious national open tournament for college red shirts.  If you look at the past All Americans from this tournament you will see some really big names who went on to All American at the NCAA tournament.

After looking at the bracket, it looks like you mean 133 and not 125.

TomM

TomM

Quote from: walden_hiker on March 04, 2020, 08:51:01 AM
Maybe he was at 125 on the other results website.

oregoncy

I watch his finals match against McGee. He certainly didn't appear very undersized for 133, I think by next season he'll be a full size 133 no problem. Was really a pretty good match despite the 9-4 score. I believe all three takedowns were counters/go-behinds off Kyle's shots. Kyle was the aggressor the majority of the match and rode McGee pretty hard in the 2nd and got out from bottom with relative ease.

Been an up and down redshirt year for him, but promising future for him. Think he's going to eventually be a real hammer on top.

wrastle63

Quote from: oregoncy on March 04, 2020, 11:08:05 AM
I watch his finals match against McGee. He certainly didn't appear very undersized for 133, I think by next season he'll be a full size 133 no problem. Was really a pretty good match despite the 9-4 score. I believe all three takedowns were counters/go-behinds off Kyle's shots. Kyle was the aggressor the majority of the match and rode McGee pretty hard in the 2nd and got out from bottom with relative ease.

Been an up and down redshirt year for him, but promising future for him. Think he's going to eventually be a real hammer on top.
High praise and not there yet, but he kind of reminds me of Luke Pletcher from OSU. Short stocky, very solid rider, escapes easily. Biggest difference is takedown game. If Burwick can get those he will be tough.

Lunatic Fringe

Why did the badgers only send one athlete here?

This also frustrates me that they pulled Christensen's redshirt.

wrastle63

Quote from: Lunatic Fringe on March 04, 2020, 02:38:00 PM
Why did the badgers only send one athlete here?

This also frustrates me that they pulled Christensen's redshirt.
Well the Badgers can't send a redshirt athlete here. Burwick had to pay his own way to get to the tournament.

Harris

Quote from: walden_hiker on March 04, 2020, 08:51:01 AM

You are correct.  I fixed the original post.  Thanks.