Coach Bono On The Record | A New Beginning | Part Two

Started by leg turk, March 29, 2018, 03:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Ghetto

...So, we are going to get in there and we are going to establish relationships with all these youth coaches, and high school programs. Ben Askren is going to be a key for us. He's big about keeping the Wisconsin kids at home. We've got a great relationship with Ben already. I talked with him last night. I'm going to meet with him when I first get there...

I think this is a good sign for the future.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

Harris

Absolutely awesome.  I am fired up just reading the interview.  I would love to wrestle for that guy!

wrastle63

A big thing is he is going to be engaging the high school coaches, youth coaches, and the rest of the wrestling community not just the kids he wants to recruit.

mkm13

He is definitely good at promoting and generating excitement for the sport, his program, and what they are doing.  You can see why he was able to pack arenas at South Dakota State.

That is the type of leader that is needed to take the next step up and compete with the top teams.  I did not think Barry Davis was a bad coach and was good for the kids.  But his weakness in terms of generating excitement and promoting the sport appears to be a big strength of Bono. 

leg turk

I can't wait to see the results of all the hard work he brings to the room.

Bono's quote...
We will be the best in shape team in the country. We will not lose because we get tired, we are going to grind, we are going to win all overtime matches. Our philosophy is going to be stingy in all positions, score a lot of points, and wrestle as hard as you possibly can for seven minutes—and be exciting. You know, after the match, we like to have a little excitement. You know, you fist pump to the crowd after a win and wave to them. I think that's all going to be awesome. I think that you work so hard, so why not get the crowd involved? We are going to wrestle harder than anyone else in the country, and outwork everybody, so why not share that with the fans after a hard-fought win?

mkm13

As we talk about trying to compete with the best does anyone know how our wrestling facilities compare to others in the big 10?

DocWrestling

Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

billymurphy

I can see how Coach Bono got hired and how he won a NCAA wrestling championship.

I wonder if Barry Alvarez takes the time to watch the NCAA championships.  
We know he watches the football, Basketball and hockey but not so sure about wrestling.

Ghetto

Quote from: billymurphy on March 30, 2018, 04:27:18 PM
We know he watches the football, Basketball and hockey but not so sure about wrestling.

I bet he will when we are in the hunt. Maybe he'll start coming down and the Wisconsin section won't be in the nose bleeds at NCAAs.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

jchap

I can see how Coach Bono got hired and how he won a NCAA wrestling championship.

Lincoln Mac redshirting had something to do with him winning a NC.

buc65

Quote from: jchap on March 30, 2018, 05:37:29 PM

Who cares...

Numbers

No, but maybe could have impacted the year?  If Lincoln wrestled his senior year in 1996, he would not have been eligible to beat Bono in the 1997 championship match 5-3 in OT.

If Lincoln had not redshirted, maybe Bono wins 2 national championships?

npope

So you are saying that Mac was ducking Bono?  ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope