NCAA's matchups.

Started by leg turk, March 08, 2016, 09:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leg turk

Can Snyder beat the big guy from North Carolina State?
I think I'm looking forward to this match most of all.  Well, except if Zeke is in the finals.

hammen

It'll definitely be a better heavyweight match than most. I'm excited to watch most of the weights - going to be tons of great matches all around. I think at 141 Joey McKenna will win it, and I'll be rooting for him. Was with him in the sauna right before WTT in Madison this past summer when he was less than a pound over and he couldn't make weight. Felt bad for the kid - he looked like death. Also looking for Jake Sueflohn to get his AA status. Man that would be special, and very well deserved.

lizard king

No, I don't think Synder can beat Gwiz.  Of course he will have to get by Walz first.    Also, 157 may be one of the most interesting weights in a long time.  I think Gant and Miller are better than many think, and of course JoJo could be interesting.

Micah

Palacio at 157 can be scary as well.

I am curious to see how a guy like Zacherl from Clarion is going to do. 

Garrett against any of the top guys should be fun. 

I have to think Nolf will be looking to push the pace more in a rematch with IMar. 

197 is also loaded with talent.

Can Realbuto hang with Nickal?

vsmf2010

Quote from: lizard king on March 09, 2016, 07:31:53 AM
No, I don't think Synder can beat Gwiz.  Of course he will have to get by Walz first.    Also, 157 may be one of the most interesting weights in a long time.  I think Gant and Miller are better than many think, and of course JoJo could be interesting.

I have a coach friend out east who has coached a lot of top guys and he know the HWT's real well. He has said since day one that Snyder would beat Coon but Gwiz would be a different story because of his athleticism. He said he was not sure about Walz but he thought that would be interesting too. Can't wait. Love the story line. Great for the sport.

leg turk

Do any of you guys have the link, I believe it was ncaa link, that tells who everyone has won or lost to this year?  I know we had it up last year, but I can't find it.

Micah

Quote from: leg turk on March 09, 2016, 09:12:28 AM
Do any of you guys have the link, I believe it was ncaa link, that tells who everyone has won or lost to this year?  I know we had it up last year, but I can't find it.

If you go to intermat rankings and click a guys name it has most of their matches.

leg turk

Quote from: Micah on March 09, 2016, 09:14:33 AM
Quote from: leg turk on March 09, 2016, 09:12:28 AM

If you go to intermat rankings and click a guys name it has most of their matches.

ok thanks, that's not what I remember looking at last year, but that would work too.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: lizard king on March 09, 2016, 07:31:53 AM

I do!! Either way it will be a great match if they both get that far

crossface21

leg turk

Last year there was only one #2 seed to win it all.  I would have thought more number 2's would take it.

NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS FINAL ROUND PAIRINGS + RESULTS

149 POUNDS:
1-Drake Houdashelt, Missouri (37-1) dec. 3-David Habat, Edinboro (36-3), 3-1 SV

157 POUNDS:
1-Isaiah Martinez, Illinois (34-0) md. 2-Brian Realbuto, Cornell (24-2), 10-2

165 POUNDS:
1-Alex Dieringer, Oklahoma State (34-0) dec. 6-Taylor Walsh, Indiana/Camden Catholic (38-6), 14-7

174 POUNDS:
2-Matthew Brown, Penn State (29-3) dec. 8-Tyler Wilps, Pittsburgh (19-4), 6-2

184 POUNDS:
1-Gabe Dean, Cornell (44-2) dec. 7-Nathaniel Brown, Lehigh (29-6), 6-2

197 POUNDS:
3-Kyven Gadson, Iowa State (30-1) pin. 4-Kyle Snyder, Ohio State (30-4), 4:24

285 POUNDS:
1-Nick Gwiazdowski, N.C. State (35-0) dec. 6-Adam Coon, Michigan (32-5), 7-6

125 POUNDS:
4-Nathan Tomasello, Ohio State (33-4) dec. Zeke Moisey, West Virginia (31-14), 8-5

133 POUNDS:
13-Cody Brewer, Oklahoma (22-1) dec. 3-Cory Clark, Iowa (30-6), 11-8

141 POUNDS:
1-Logan Stieber, Ohio State (29-0) dec. 2-Mitchell Port, Edinboro (36-2), 11-5

Micah

6 - 1 seeds made the final
3 - 2 seeds made the final

You can say seeds don't matter because you have to wrestle the top guy sometime, but they do matter.  The lower the number of top guys you face, the more your chances of making it to finals and winning goes up.  Biggest difference can be that qtr final match.

leg turk

and only 2 matches in the finals went #1 vs #2

Barou

Quote from: Micah on March 09, 2016, 02:14:13 PM

You can say seeds don't matter because you have to wrestle the top guy sometime, but they do matter.  The lower the number of top guys you face, the more your chances of making it to finals and winning goes up.  Biggest difference can be that qtr final match.

Exactly!  Drives me insane when people say seeds don't matter because you have to win them all to be the champ.....no sh$t.  It has direct implications on team results.  If someone gets a 4 seed instead of a 3 seed that may have huge implications on making it to the finals and you score more team points getting 2nd instead of 3rd....duh, right?  Overall, seeds matter.  Do they matter when two guys walk onto the mat?  Not at all.  But a better seed "generally" equals an easier road.  Not "easy", it never is but easier.
JHI Mafia

vsmf2010

Quote from: Barou on March 09, 2016, 02:53:17 PM
Quote from: Micah on March 09, 2016, 02:14:13 PM

Exactly!  Drives me insane when people say seeds don't matter because you have to win them all to be the champ.....no sh$t.  It has direct implications on team results.  If someone gets a 4 seed instead of a 3 seed that may have huge implications on making it to the finals and you score more team points getting 2nd instead of 3rd....duh, right?  Overall, seeds matter.  Do they matter when two guys walk onto the mat?  Not at all.  But a better seed "generally" equals an easier road.  Not "easy", it never is but easier.

Of course seeds matter but there are times that match ups are more important than seeds and a wrestler can benefit from being a lower seed. I think there are many situations where you can see a path to the finals as a 6 or 7 seed and a no path if you are the 4 or the 5. With this scenario a lower seed could benefit the wrestler and the team. There are also times where the reverse is true where the top 3 are very even. If that is the case being a 4 or 5 would only require you to beat one top guy where as a 6 or 7 seed may have to beat 2. Every bracket is different. 

If you use last year as an example.

4 - 2 made the finals
5 - 0 made the finals
6 - 2 made the finals
7 - 1 made the finals

10% finalist for 4-5
15% finalist for 6-7