so.....how cold is it

Started by Kjohnson, January 03, 2014, 06:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

"Those aren't pillows!"  ~ Steve Martin (Planes, Trains, and Automobiles)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Boy always did think he could outrun me.

He might wonder why I always drive by his farm. I go through Cnty U to get wood from the Amish.

Tell Lee I ain't in a chasin' mood, and he's welcome back home. He belongs here!!!

Great quote, Fish.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Kjohnson

Quote from: Goat Roper on January 08, 2014, 06:23:20 AM
Still in Detroit until 8:00pm tonight.

I spent a week there one day ;D

Houndhead

It looks like we will have to wait until tomorrow before the temps get above 0 for the first time since Saturday. -25 this morning.

imnofish

Will this never end?  I just hope that spring comes earlier this year than it did in 2013.   :P
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

DrSnide

Quote from: imnofish on January 08, 2014, 09:40:14 AM
Will this never end?  I just hope that spring comes earlier this year than it did in 2013.   :P

I am totally okay with putting up with this cold if we get a spring like 2012 in return.  That's a good trade off for me. Doubt it will work that way though >:(

I think I really need to move.  I was pretty excited that it was a "balmy" -13 this morning. 
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Todd

Monday I was off on my alternate work day and was able to help The Wife with the kids who were all off.  Yesterday it was back to work and she dealt with 2 stir crazy kids.  15 minutes of distraction and the boy gets a hold of a can of bubble bath and proceeds to spray 3 rooms and walls with it.  The best part was him filling his sisters shoes with the stuff.  Ah 2 year olds!

My wife's reward for her having to tend to 2 crazy kids all day?  Stomach flu today.   >:(
"This page intentionally left blank".

imnofish

Quote from: DrSnide on January 08, 2014, 10:46:15 AM
Quote from: imnofish on January 08, 2014, 09:40:14 AM
Will this never end?  I just hope that spring comes earlier this year than it did in 2013.   :P

I am totally okay with putting up with this cold if we get a spring like 2012 in return.  That's a good trade off for me. Doubt it will work that way though >:(

I think I really need to move.  I was pretty excited that it was a "balmy" -13 this morning. 

Heading to the south side of town?   ;)

Kjohnson

Quote from: Todd on January 08, 2014, 10:50:32 AM
Monday I was off on my alternate work day and was able to help The Wife with the kids who were all off.  Yesterday it was back to work and she dealt with 2 stir crazy kids.  15 minutes of distraction and the boy gets a hold of a can of bubble bath and proceeds to spray 3 rooms and walls with it.  The best part was him filling his sisters shoes with the stuff.  Ah 2 year olds!

My wife's reward for her having to tend to 2 crazy kids all day?  Stomach flu today.   >:(

We had a neighbor close by and we would trade 1 kid for the day. send one over and take one of theirs. Even for a few hours it gave them something to do.

npope

I lived in Fairbanks as a kid and school was never called off because if they started doing that then there would be no place to draw the line - everyday in the winter is well below zero. They set a record of -63 degrees when I was there - that's without wind chill. That said, everybody is well prepared for the cold - there's a whole different system in place, e.g. we all had an extra pair of shoes we kept at school because everyone always wore boots to school; changed into the shoes once we were in the building. Oddly though, the snow wasn't as oppressive as you might think - it was always light and airy and not tons of it (don't get me wrong, plenty by the standards of the lower 48, but not as much as you might suspect). The really tough thing was the lack of sunlight during the winter. Trudged to school in the pitch black and trudged home again when it was even darker. I don't know why anyone would ever want to live there.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Kjohnson

Eagle Blue: A Team, a Tribe, and a High School Basketball Season in Arctic Alaska

I know the book is about basketball, but it is about high school sports. Interesting read about Alaska and how they deal with HS sports

imnofish

Quote from: Kjohnson on January 10, 2014, 08:44:01 AM
Eagle Blue: A Team, a Tribe, and a High School Basketball Season in Arctic Alaska

I know the book is about basketball, but it is about high school sports. Interesting read about Alaska and how they deal with HS sports

My childhood friend, who taught and coached at a small district by Denali Park, told me that his teams flew to competitions.  Evidently, their little district of a few hundred students had its own plane and pilot.

littleguy301

I had 43 above today......Looks like about a 100 degree turnaround in 7 days. Strange weather we live in.
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet