Iowa

Started by wrastle63, November 25, 2019, 08:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkm13

Somewhat disappointing but about as rough as I expected. Iowa is great this year and will make a lot of good teams/wrestlers look bad.

Cullen - As expected, though not ideal to hear he is beating Barnett in the room after getting beat like that.
Gross - the most surprising result. Desantis has beat some elite wrestlers, so I knew there was a chance of an upset, but was not expecting to lose the takedown battle 3-0.  Gross let him in on his legs too easy and Desanto did a great job finishing after he was there.  Time to make some adjustments for next time.
Moran - about as expected being in Carver.  Murin a good wrestler, but a guy Moran will need to beat to be an AA.
Martin - about as expected.
Model - Did well to keep it to a decision.
Wick - being in Carver, I gave the edge to Marinelli. Wick will need to figure out how to even up the takedown battle.  The last 4 matches against him he has lost on his feet. Marinelli is really tough.
Krattiger - Kemerer is really good, but not ideal to see him lose that bad. Curious how Dow would have done.  Not ideal.
Sebastion - big win and shows he could be an AA threat if he can stay healthy.
Watkins - about as good as can be expected, but still cant find any offense
Hillger - tough one, but Cassioppi is really good as well.

Handles II

I can just imagine, or, go back to the archives, to read what was said about the coaching staff a few years ago when we took a pounding like this (even when we were ranked #15-#18) and scoring only 3 offensive take downs?!?. 
I realize we have a new outlook and new hopes for the coaches and team, and they seem to be doing quite well with recruiting, etc, but in my honest opinion, coaching has to be looked at in this situation. 
Iowa looked bigger, or should I say more muscular at virtually every weight. Their stance was always lower, and they were much more active at getting set-ups and creating angles rather than straight on, lunging shots. That has a lot to do with coaching.
Wrastle63 said 7/10 were close matches, but were they? I really didn't see any time in those close matches that iowa was actually in danger of losing.
Iowa is really tough, no doubt, but more noticeable they were prepared to win, mentally and physically, well before this meeting ever occurred.

wrastle63

Quote from: Handles II on December 02, 2019, 07:41:19 AM
I can just imagine, or, go back to the archives, to read what was said about the coaching staff a few years ago when we took a pounding like this (even when we were ranked #15-#18) and scoring only 3 offensive take downs?!?. 
I realize we have a new outlook and new hopes for the coaches and team, and they seem to be doing quite well with recruiting, etc, but in my honest opinion, coaching has to be looked at in this situation. 
Iowa looked bigger, or should I say more muscular at virtually every weight. Their stance was always lower, and they were much more active at getting set-ups and creating angles rather than straight on, lunging shots. That has a lot to do with coaching.
Wrastle63 said 7/10 were close matches, but were they? I really didn't see any time in those close matches that iowa was actually in danger of losing.
Iowa is really tough, no doubt, but more noticeable they were prepared to win, mentally and physically, well before this meeting ever occurred.
Not trying to sugar coat this loss, because we didn't wrestle good by any means. I am no math major but of those 7 close matches we lost. We scored 13 points and Iowa scored 26 for a 13 point difference. That averages to be less than 2 points a match, yea that is close. Moran and Martin were both in on shots at the end of the match. Wick looked much better on his feet against Marinelli although the result didn't show it.

npope

Quote from: Handles II on December 02, 2019, 07:41:19 AM

Yeah - no way to get past the fact that Bucky was not ready to run with the big dogs on that day - which wasn't according to the expected script. And yes, I too would agree that a significant degree has to do with coaching; for whatever reason, Bucky didn't show up for the meet. Coaches need to figure out the issues and make adjustments - no reason to think they won't (because it is a premier cluster of coaches), but they need to close the gap with these top flight programs.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

stbird

I had to go to bed after Moran's match, but what I saw up until then was not a single shot until the 3rd period of Moran's match.  That is not a recipe for success.  Iowa is on it.  Much different than some of their previous teams that just pushed people around.  These guys are really on the offense and deserved to win the first 4 matches.  I was surprised by our lack of shooting. 

Steve

GradeTough

I was disappointed in the score but went back and watched the matches. While it was a competitive dual we just couldn't win the close ones and didn't have enough to finish shots as others spoke about. That is too bad because it felt like it got away and we couldn't recover.

While moral victories aren't what we are looking for, I think the program is headed in the right direction. Based on the acknowledgement from the Coach. We are a tier below the elite programs at the moment. That is recognized.

crossface21

Iowa only has 3 seniors that wrestled last night, and if Brands wrestled instead of Wilcke it would have been only 2. Of their 10 starters last night, 7 are ranked in the Top 4 and 6 of them will be back next year.  I hate to say it but Iowa is gonna dominate the rest of the year, and next year they are gonna be scary good.

mkm13

Short of Penn State's young guys quickly becoming elite, Iowa has to be heavy favorites at this point both this year and next.  They are going to make a lot of good teams and wrestlers look bad, especially at Carver.

The coaching staff has things going in the right direction, but it will take time to truly compete with a team as good as we saw last night.  Bono does not even have his first recruiting class wrestling yet (not counting the transfers).

It will take several years to really turn the corner, especially with the freshman (Krattiger, Dow, etc.) this year looking like they need significant improvement to expect points from them at NCAA's.

wrestle03

I'm sorry - this dual was far from competitive and there are very few positives to take away from a lackluster performance like this.  The Badgers were out-classed, out-wrestled and out-coached.  This is not a top 10 program right now. When you lose the takedown battle 22 to 2 you cannot come back and say you simply came up short in the close matches.  The hype for this team and for Bono just came back to reality.  Wins are earned - and Iowa earned them last nite by embarrassing the Badgers.

Numbers

Quote from: wrestle03 on December 02, 2019, 03:12:14 PM
I'm sorry - this dual was far from competitive and there are very few positives to take away from a lackluster performance like this.  The Badgers were out-classed, out-wrestled and out-coached.  This is not a top 10 program right now. When you lose the takedown battle 22 to 2 you cannot come back and say you simply came up short in the close matches.  The hype for this team and for Bono just came back to reality.  Wins are earned - and Iowa earned them last nite by embarrassing the Badgers.
Actually 22-3  (1 at 174, 2 at 184)

Moran was the only wrestler to not get taken down in the first period.

You know what they say about getting the first takedown.  Yesterday the wrestlers with the first TD were 9-1.  The wrestlers with the most takedowns were 10-0.

PAUL

Numbers, I've heard that since I wrestled back in the 1800's - and I believe it to this day.  I wonder what the true win percentage is of the guy who gets the first TD in HS and in College - those would be interesting.   I'd guess 90%+ in HS, probably 80%+ in College. 

Sudden Death

100% agree....

BuckyMatt

Quote from: Sudden Death on December 02, 2019, 08:04:15 PM

100% agree....

I'm 100% Behind Bono and this staff and last night did nothing to dull the excitement and hype in my mind. Last night was not a good night, they will undoubtedly learn from this! Can't wait for Midlands when we revenge many of these close Iowa losses!

mkm13

There are maybe 2 teams this year that could give Iowa a competitive match at Carver, and likely none that would win.

Not being "competitive" against Iowa does not necessarily mean we are not a top 10 team, as there are only a couple teams that have a chance.

Bono is so good at marketing and creating excitement, it clearly made some unrealistic expectations for some if they thought we had a chance at this point.

factfinder

I truly believe that Bono and staff are doing the right things to build a winning team!! This current team is just over hyped!!
If you look at the Iowa team they only have 1 Iowa native starting and looking at Bono's recruits they seem to be headed in the same direction.