Ken Norton, Former Heavyweight Boxing Champion, Dies at 70

Started by TomM, September 18, 2013, 09:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Ken Norton Sr., a former boxing heavyweight champion, died this week. He was 70.
The Los Angeles Times reported his death, which took place at an Arizona hospital.
The Associated Press reported that his son confirmed his father
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

ramjet

The 70 and early eighties the best time for heavy weight championship fights EVER. RIP Ken.

imnofish

Ken was one of the greats and one of my all-time favorites.  Sad to see him go.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

wraslfan

Quote from: imnofish on September 18, 2013, 11:41:53 PM
Ken was one of the greats and one of my all-time favorites.  Sad to see him go.
Ken and Joe Frasier were my favorites. I remember when every heavy weight boxing match was on live TV. It was a big deal in my house. To my Dad it was as big as the Superbowl. I was young but remember watching all those fights.

bigG

My dad boxed (back when they had boxing) in high school. My house was the same way. You didn't dare interrupt the old man when the fight was on. We all sat there watching two guys beat each others' brains out. I always enjoyed watching that.

I always liked lighter guys. I liked Hagler and Camacho (before he got flashy).
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

MNbadger

"The 70 and early eighties the best time for heavy weight championship fights EVER. RIP Ken."

+1
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

bigG

I was pretty peeved at the Sugar Ray decision.

Ken Norton fought a good chunk of a fight with a broken jaw. I've broken mine once. You get a whole new admiration for that kind of toughness. I think I would have taken a dive boxing my dog when my jaw was busted.

Norton just had the workman mentality; always in the future and stalking. No glitz; just tough.

I'm just guessing he was a great dad.

RIP, warrior.

wraslfan

Hagler was awesome as well. I think I always liked the less flashy...just tough guy boxers best. Obviously Ali was flashy and I liked to watch him as well, but much like fans of other sports, I got tired of seeing the same result. There's something about rooting for the underdog.

Todd

Quote from: ramjet on September 18, 2013, 10:32:10 PM
The 70 and early eighties the best time for heavy weight championship fights EVER. RIP Ken.

Best for him at the time and us fans.  He was an amazing fighter and his son a great Dallas Cowboy. 

Sorry that the last years of his life he was really a shell of who he was which have been attributed to the blows he took to the head. 
"This page intentionally left blank".

Todd

Quote from: bigG on September 19, 2013, 06:36:33 AM
My dad boxed (back when they had boxing) in high school. My house was the same way. You didn't dare interrupt the old man when the fight was on. We all sat there watching two guys beat each others' brains out. I always enjoyed watching that.

I always liked lighter guys. I liked Hagler and Camacho (before he got flashy).

Loved Camacho and Sugar Ray.
"This page intentionally left blank".

bigG

Camacho had an incredible skill set. Wore some crazy trunks, too. As a young kid I remember seeing him interviewed and watching him just take it to people. he matured into a very tactful fighter who, though he took less chances, won many a fight with sound position/strategy.

I think Hagler was the best defensive fighter I've ever seen. Seemed like any punch you threw at him was caught with a glove that looked like it was expecting the punch all along.