"Don't ride with my brother"... "Don't ride with my brother."

Started by TomM, November 03, 2014, 06:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis"
Car Talk's Tom Magliozzi dies at 77, but the show will roll on
https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/car-talk-s-tom-magliozzi-dies-at-77--but-the-show-will-go-on-204533423.html

:'(

Enjoyed this show soooo much....
bummer...
Oh well..."Don't ride with my brother."
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigG

That is one of the most entertaining shows out there. One of very few I will enjoy on the radio. They were just funny, smart, crazy, looney, etc. They have been at it for a long time, so I'll enjoy listening to the classics. Cah tawk!

Stump the chumps, end credits, that was the best radio show.

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

imnofish

Sorry to see Tom go down that way.   :'(  However, to his credit: Probably my favorite radio show.  Those guys were just hilarious together.  I hope NPR keeps the reruns coming! 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

bigG

Me, too. If NPR had more stuff like that and not shows that seem to be ads for books and their authors, I'd tune in a whole lot more. Car Talk, Prairie Home, This American Life, Moth, Radio Lab, are great. Then you get Joy and her weird ilk.

npope

I see that Tom Magliozzi had actually retired from the show a couple of years ago, so all of the current shows we have been listening to were in syndication. So, while it is sad to see him go, our experience with him won't change much given that they haven't been doing new shows for a couple years now.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Dale Einerson

Couldn't agree more on the high quality of some of the programming.  I would add "What Do You Know" to the mix of excellent programming.  I have done a lot of home repairs with that on in the background and the show is excellent.

imnofish

None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

bigG

Quote from: Dale Einerson on November 05, 2014, 08:36:34 AM
Couldn't agree more on the high quality of some of the programming.  I would add "What Do You Know" to the mix of excellent programming.  I have done a lot of home repairs with that on in the background and the show is excellent.

"Not much...you?

"Wait, wait, don't tell me" usually gets me chucklin', too. I even like "Sex You" and "Old Time Radio Night." just don't like talk shows that are really sales pitches for books. Like those infomercials to my ears.

imnofish

bigG

I feel like a geek for diggin' Sez You and A Way With Words, but I'm a language person, and I'm sticking with it.

imnofish

Just like TV, lots of possibilities.  Some I like; some not so much.  Sometimes, I force myself to listen (or watch) something that initially turns me off, just to see what I can learn.  Amazingly, there's usually a nugget in there, somewhere!   8)