Commitment to running plan.

Started by TomM, July 06, 2008, 04:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Live2Pin

Sounds more like going to battle than going for a run!  Kudos for sticking with it Tom.  Give us all the bloody details when it's over.

TomM

Quote from: "TomM"UPDATE:
MON/SEPT 15: Ran 3.0 miles in 30:48.
Weather was nice and cool...
MON/SEPT 17: Ran 3.0 miles in 30:50.
Was not real warm... but I hate to say I pushed a but..and kept it under 31:00.. Doesn't seem too fast I guess, but it is slow progress for me.
Will run 2.0 Friday and have my half marathon Sunday AM, Sept. 21.

My left knee was pretty bad last week (illiotibial band issues) so I went to a PT friend of mine yesterday after work... he gave me a couple more stretches and suggested heating the knee up before running and that I visit another buddy of mine who is a podiatrist who put some arch in my insoles for the foot soreness.  The long toe on the left foot was getting all bloody under the nail and swollen, so he popped a hole in the nail and showed me how to tape it so it won't push on the bottom of the shoe etc...
So, I feel ready for Sunday... won't set any records though... :wink:
JEEZ... just read this post over and am I a little baby wimpy thing or what??? sheesh...  :roll:
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

bigoil

Good luck Tom!!

I can't make it as I'm driving to cvs right now to get medsfor her ear and off to the doc (no not off to Fondy) tomorrow am.

Remember: WRESTLERS NEVER QUIT!

TomM

I had a family thing come up myself.
Intended to post earlier today in case you were going.. but had too much going on to get online.
I'll run it next year.
I can't run the Tyranena half on November 8 as I have Grad Class that weekend.
I'll keep my miles up.
I'm looking at the bright side, now I can do some work to strengthen my knee before the next one.

bigoil

You should run one on your own if you can in the next week or two. Find a partner, even if they are on a bike (they can be your water station(s)).

Houndhead

Tom, did you ever do the half marathon?

bigoil

littleguy301

Results good or bad Tom,,,,we need to know ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

TomM

I have not reread all the posts I made here...
Bottom line is a tendon in my left foot tore (peroneus longus tendon) not long after I started this "plan"...  I went 3.5 years limping around (sort of) and finally had surgery on that tendon March 22 of this year. It effectively stopped me from running for that period of time. Was hoping it would heal up sans surgery.  It did not.
March 22nd I also had a bunion "fixed" on that same foot... Dealt with it as far back as 1977... (almost 35 years).
Seems the bunion surgery is the more radical surgery of the two.
I am working out at the YMCA semi-regularly... getting my weight down little by little and getting into better shape.  Not sure I will ever be a runner again... but maybe. 

wrestle03

I think I'd go insane if I didnt have my running.  Ive done 12 half marathons and 2 full marathons and there is nothing like getting out and going for a run.  You always come back feeling better than you did before you left.  Was only able to run 2 half marathons this year, one in May and one in July, and been dealing with hip bursitis and an achilles issue which kept me from running another full marathon I had planned on doing.  But Im back.....................and happy as heck to be pain free.  Keep at it Tom, one day at a time.

littleguy301

Man,,,,after the nice day and where I have been working this past year,,,,I am thinking about commiting to a running plan if the sights will always be this good ;D
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

Kjohnson

Quote from: TomM on July 06, 2008, 04:05:22 PM
I need/want to get into "shape" and am in the process of doing so... I am a few pounds "overweight". OK... I weigh 210 and my health risk assessment (HRA) says I really should lose 30/THIRTY pounds... That was hard to admit on here. That would put me at 180.  Lowest I have been in years is 195 three years ago before a half marathon.  17 years ago I got down to 180 running daily.  I've run a couple half marathons (not marathons) in the past to be in shape and to have a goal to work toward in the process... Haven't run much in almost two years ...long story, but I was out running in the fall and got dehydrated and my electrolytes had a fit and I ended up really sick and had my first ambulance ride! D'OH... I walk the dog about 2 miles each day.
Bought new comfortable running shoes last week.
This week I started running again.  Haven't stepped on the scale or timed a run yet, but I ran/jogged 2 miles Mon/Tue/Wed/Fri and 3 on Saturday.  So my first week is in the books... My goal is the Fox Cities Half Marathon Sunday, September 21.  I have run that one twice.  I am on a 12 week plan I have set up.  Basically, I will run four days per week.
Here is the plan:
Mondays Run 3-4 miles. (my mile times are slow, so you may get a chuckle out of them, but I will post them when I start timing myself.)
Tuesdays: Rest/cross train (tennis? or bike? or inline skate? yoga? pilates?)
Wednesdays: Run 3-4 miles.
Thursdays: Rest/cross train...
Fridays: Run 2 miles.
Saturdays: "Long Run"... basically each Saturday I will add one mile to my longest previous run, so next Saturday would be 4 miles.
Each running day I will stretch out well first and post run I will do push ups and crunches (right now it is 27 of each.. but I will get that up to 62 each soon.
In the fall I intend to ride my bicycle to school every day.  Maybe all year... a buddy of mine did it last school year all but two days... Yikes...
I am placing this on here as an additional motivation to force me to "keep at it".  If I tell someone my goal it is hard to give in.
I will write out what my workouts should be and place what I have done on here... like a training log.
I need to improve my diet (more fruits and vegetable)... My diet sucks. Big time. How is it that a wrestling coach (ex-wrestling coach) who considered himself pretty well versed on nutrition can eat SO CRAPPY?  Jeez....
After the Fox Cities Half Marathon I may do another in Lake Mills in November.  I may also toss in some 5K etc races...
Anyways guys... I know I can do this and I am putting it on here to keep myself honest to my goal(s).
I want to keep this up and keep my weight donw.... I really need to make sure "the part of me that wants to go, overcomes the part of me that doesn't want to go."
Tomorrow is a 3 mile day.

A new year , how is it going?

TomM

Ups and downs...
First... Did not follow through on my plan.  Had foot issues and that bogged me down from the get go... not able to run and that was my "go to" activity. I am relearning how to train now as an old guy... did not work out much at all for the last four years.  Mind over matter has not been happening here.  So I slogged along and made excuses etc... "too cold out", "too hot out", not making it a priority...
I am glad you have posted this...
More recently, had surgery on left foot in March for two issues... tendon etc.  Then badly sprained right ankle on landscaping job in July.  Don't seem to have recovered from either very well.  Worked out after surgery somewhat consistently.
Joined the YMCA last winter and cut out Diet Coke, improved diet a bit... lost 15 pounds... Then fell off the wagon at end of September.  Started slowly regaining the weight.
NOW... will start back at the YMCA next week and get the diet thing back in order so to speak...
Thanks for posting this..
Check back in a month and see if I am on course...
Thanks!!!!

Kjohnson

The best thing I did was get a dog. Since June I've been avg 1 1/2 to 2 miles a day. I don't thing I've missed 2 days in a row since.

One thing that I have done in the past is I mark on a calendar and rate my diet & exercise for the day. A good workout and eating right was worth 5 stars. A bad day was a 1 star day. I always gave myself at least 1 star because even if my diet and workout was bad that day, at least I'm still thinking about it. At the end of the month you can see your results by seeing how many 4/5 star days you had compared to 1/2 star days

Good Luck

TomM

You bet...my dog (my best friend Kiki) was my catalyst for half marathon training for six years... then the foot issues... walking was a foot issue too... and bicycling would be without her... aaaargh....so more excuses... Now it's time to get back on track.. I CAN walk...and will try x-country skiing too...