Polizzi at the Big Ten

Started by npope, March 12, 2015, 11:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

A very interesting strategy for Polizzi at the Big Ten meet. I believe he only wrestled one actual match (against McCall) in the first round of consolations. A win there secured Polizzi a bid to the NCAA tourney. Otherwise he defaulted matches through out the tourney without actually engaging opponents. Obviously, he was hurt and just seeking to qualify. I suspect the NW coaches had to take a deep breath when he drew McCall in the first round of the consolations as those two have proven to be fairly competitive with one another (and Polizzi was actually very hobbled when he actually had to wrestle).

It certainly turned out well for Polizzi, but an interesting coaching strategy, to say the least.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

crossface21

I believe Hunter Steiber kind of took the same approach, although he wrestled 3 matches and med. ff. 2 matches.

I think I read on the mat that one of the criteria to make it to NCAA's is you have to give a reasonable effort at the conference tournament if you don't automatically qualify in order to be considered for an at-large?

Huckfinn

Polizzi becomes more intimidating as matches progress because his hair somehow comes out of his headgear and he looks unhinged.  He's working a lot of angles.

I didn't notice any hesitation in his wrestling against McCall, but he must have been hurt.

sadpanda

Yes Nat, the goal was simply to qualify. Unfortunately, Alex sustained a knee injury in practice a week before Big Ten but wanted to tough it out and compete.
I was shocked when he was warming-up to wrestle TM as he was unable to walk that morning. We're hoping Alex can recover enough to wrestle at NCAAs and not further aggravate the injury.

Glad to see TM got a bid. Hate to see him injured as well and hope to see him wrestle in St. Lois! IMO: Both guys are warriors and deserve to conclude their collegiate careers on a high note.
no bat-dads please

badgerjohn

Don't / can't recall names of similar situations of the past 20 years, but it has happened more often than most would remember.

Again can't recall without looking it up, but there have been possibilities at B1Gs were a kid didn't have to win a single match and still auto qualified.  Has to be seeded such and such etc.  I think that was before current wrestling all placements to beyond the auto qualifiers.

The year Dustin Schlatter was injured, if I recall he didn't wrestle, just walked (hobbled) out to inj default.  Caused many ticked off fans and coaches of other schools because he was seeded 2nd? I think. Seemed that the Minny coaches pulled the wool over others eyes..... My memory is great, it's just short   ;D  he then auto qualified?

Without studying the brackets I was very surprised when NW coaches forfeited Alex 1st match to Mich St kid.  I thought beat him, then go from there.  On paper he was a much easier win than Timmy.  Guess maybe all us arm chair experts ain't as smart as...............

Hope like heck Alex and Timmy are healthy enuff to perform and make an impact at NCAAs.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

buc65

Quote from: badgerjohn on March 12, 2015, 11:39:31 AM
Don't / can't recall names of similar situations of the past 20 years, but it has happened more often than most would remember.

Again can't recall without looking it up, but there have been possibilities at B1Gs were a kid didn't have to win a single match and still auto qualified.  Has to be seeded such and such etc.  I think that was before current wrestling all placements to beyond the auto qualifiers.

The year Dustin Schlatter was injured, if I recall he didn't wrestle, just walked (hobbled) out to inj default.  Caused many ticked off fans and coaches of other schools because he was seeded 2nd? I think. Seemed that the Minny coaches pulled the wool over others eyes..... My memory is great, it's just short   ;D  he then auto qualified?

Without studying the brackets I was very surprised when NW coaches forfeited Alex 1st match to Mich St kid.  I thought beat him, then go from there.  On paper he was a much easier win than Timmy.  Guess maybe all us arm chair experts ain't as smart as...............

Hope like heck Alex and Timmy are healthy enuff to perform and make an impact at NCAAs.

If Alex beats the Mich St kid and then injury defaults / loses his 2nd rd match, to McIntosh, he goes to 2nd round of wrestlebacks and has to win to qualify as top 8.  By defaulting to Mich St kid he ends up in wrestleback and gets a bye 1st rd wrestleback then has to win 2nd round wrestleback match to qualify top 8.  It's pretty simple choice by looking at bracket.  With the injury it wouldn't have made sense to wrestle the Mich St kid because it wouldn't have helped him advance further and put him at further risk of injury.

Barou

Quote from: badgerjohn on March 12, 2015, 11:39:31 AM

Again can't recall without looking it up, but there have been possibilities at B1Gs were a kid didn't have to win a single match and still auto qualified.  Has to be seeded such and such etc.  I think that was before current wrestling all placements to beyond the auto qualifiers.

The year Dustin Schlatter was injured, if I recall he didn't wrestle, just walked (hobbled) out to inj default.  Caused many ticked off fans and coaches of other schools because he was seeded 2nd? I think. Seemed that the Minny coaches pulled the wool over others eyes..... My memory is great, it's just short   ;D  he then auto qualified?

Without studying the brackets I was very surprised when NW coaches forfeited Alex 1st match to Mich St kid.  I thought beat him, then go from there.  On paper he was a much easier win than Timmy.  Guess maybe all us arm chair experts ain't as smart as...............

Schlatter was seeded 6th that year.
JHI Mafia