Predicted NCAA Finishes based on Seeds

Started by npope, March 12, 2015, 08:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huckfinn

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on March 12, 2015, 12:52:27 PMsorry if another bottom half finish in the B1G didn't get me all juiced up.
They won the bottom half championship.  It's all how you look at it.

leg turk

Quote from: Huckfinn on March 12, 2015, 03:14:28 PM
Quote from: jaguarwrestler on March 12, 2015, 12:52:27 PMsorry if another bottom half finish in the B1G didn't get me all juiced up.
They won the bottom half championship.  It's all how you look at it.

;D ;D ;D

Huckfinn

Quote from: mdbriggs on March 12, 2015, 01:59:16 PM
In some defense to the 8th place finish as being "not too bad" given where Wisconsin is at.

Of the 330 NCAA qualifers, I count only 5 Wisconsin high school wrestlers going to St Louis next week.  That being said, there is a high school over in Ohio that I believe has 4 D1 national qualifiers for the second straight year (with likely multiple AA each year) by themself.

That's pretty amazing factoid there.   Who are the 5?    Off top of my head: Dieringer, Patrick Kissel, Alex Polizzi, Jesse Thielke

Sueflohn shoulda been there.   Who are other WI wrestlers?    

BTW, if you consider only that WI has 1.8% of U.S. population, you'd expect WI to produce exactly 5 wrestlers out of 300.    Which means WI is just average talent for all states nation wide.

crossface21

In some defense to the 8th place finish as being "not too bad" given where Wisconsin is at.

Of the 330 NCAA qualifers, I count only 5 Wisconsin high school wrestlers going to St Louis next week.  That being said, there is a high school over in Ohio that I believe has 4 D1 national qualifiers for the second straight year (with likely multiple AA each year) by themself.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think on the broadcast of the Big Tens, they said that St. Paris Graham has had at least one National Qualifier for like 31 straight years.

vsmf2010

Quote from: Huckfinn on March 12, 2015, 03:32:29 PM

That's pretty amazing factoid there.   Who are the 5?    Off top of my head: Dieringer, Patrick Kissel, Alex Polizzi, Jesse Thielke

Evan Knutson

DocWrestling

Quote from: Huckfinn on March 12, 2015, 03:32:29 PM

BTW, if you consider only that WI has 1.8% of U.S. population, you'd expect WI to produce exactly 5 wrestlers out of 300.    Which means WI is just average talent for all states nation wide.

States in the south like Texas greatly skew those percentages when many states have wrestling as an afterthought
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Huckfinn

Quote from: DocWrestling on March 12, 2015, 03:51:37 PM
Quote from: HuckfinnBTW, if you consider only that WI has 1.8% of U.S. population, you'd expect WI to produce exactly 5 wrestlers out of 300.    Which means WI is just average talent for all states nation wide.
States in the south like Texas greatly skew those percentages when many states have wrestling as an afterthought

Right, and states like Pennsylvania and  New Jersey produce wrestlers like Canada grows hockey players, they skew results other way.     Point is WI is not a huge wrestling state.   Probably similar to the Carolinas where wrestling has modest presence.

dad 2 5

I think the W could come away with two 3rd's and a 6th or better and that looks to be 8th last year. Not sure if we will get help from any of the other guys but there is some wins possible if the health and focus is there.
I would be pretty happy with a top 10 even top 12.

1. Penn St. 109.5201020207
2. Minnesota 104022020107
3. Oklahoma St. 96.5220000015
4. Iowa 78.5 1 0 0 1 2 1 0 1 6
5. Edinboro 62001200003
6. Ohio St. 57 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2
7. Cornell 53 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 3
8. Virginia Tech 49 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 3
9. Northwestern 46 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 3
10. Oklahoma 45010000023
11. Nebraska 43.5 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 2
12. Iowa St. 42 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 3
13. Illinois 41 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
14. Missouri 40.5 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 2
15. UNI 40 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 3
16. Wisconsin 36 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 2
17. Michigan 35001000102
18. Lehigh 29.5000002103

dad 2 5

how crazy would it be if we had three guys in the finals? That would be good for a top 5! I like that idea :)

npope

Quote from: dad 2 5 on March 12, 2015, 05:18:51 PM
how crazy would it be if we had three guys in the finals? That would be good for a top 5! I like that idea :)

On a good day, that's a possibility. Couple that with a few of guys going 2-2 in the tourney and you have a very solid finish. It has been a while since Bucky has turned in a truly solid performance with all guys hitting on all cylinders at the same time. That kind of result would certainly turn the BD debate into a stalemate for at least nine months.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Spartan

Quote from: crossface21 on March 12, 2015, 03:37:19 PM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think on the broadcast of the Big Tens, they said that St. Paris Graham has had at least one National Qualifier for like 31 straight years.

I thought it was St. Edwards. Or at least that is what they announced at the Big Tens

Micah

Quote from: Huckfinn on March 12, 2015, 03:58:47 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on March 12, 2015, 03:51:37 PM
Quote from: HuckfinnBTW, if you consider only that WI has 1.8% of U.S. population, you'd expect WI to produce exactly 5 wrestlers out of 300.    Which means WI is just average talent for all states nation wide.

Right, and states like Pennsylvania and  New Jersey produce wrestlers like Canada grows hockey players, they skew results other way.     Point is WI is not a huge wrestling state.   Probably similar to the Carolinas where wrestling has modest presence.

This is not accurate, wrestling in SC is nowhere near wrestling in WI.  I live in Charleston, SC there is barely a wrestling presence here and we have the Citadel.  Wrestling here is comparable to Lacrosse in Wisconsin.  The state tournament here is held in a HS gym.  The baseball and football is great down here though!

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: npope on March 12, 2015, 06:14:49 PM

On a good day, that's a possibility. Couple that with a few of guys going 2-2 in the tourney and you have a very solid finish. It has been a while since Bucky has turned in a truly solid performance with all guys hitting on all cylinders at the same time. That kind of result would certainly turn the BD debate into a stalemate for at least nine months.

no offense... but on a "good day" we get 3 in the finals? How about on our best day ever? If we get help along the way from some upsets it could happen, but if seeds hold it will be very difficult. I think we could get 5 or 6 total wins from the others. Because we have 3 big time wrestlers could be enough to get us into an 8th place type finish because the of skewed scoring, but that is if they all finish in top 3 and I think they could. If one of the lower seeded wrestlers gets 2-3 wins that would greatly increase our chances, if we only get 3-4 wins from them combined we could be in trouble. We have to consider the top 10 teams in the country all have better teams and the only way we get ahead of them is to have the seeds hold for us and not for them.

No way we get past
Iowa
tOSU
Minn
Miss.
Corn.
Ill.
PSU

so that leaves in 8th if we can beat Edinboro, ISU, OkSt, Neb.

I think at best we are 8-9
good weekend 10-11
average weekend 11-12
bad weekend 13-15

based on our coaches history I will go with 11-12
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

bigG

Why ya gotta bring it back down to earth. Badger fans gotta have dreams, baby!
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

npope

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on March 13, 2015, 09:22:15 AM
Quote from: npope on March 12, 2015, 06:14:49 PM

no offense... but on a "good day" we get 3 in the finals? How about on our best day ever? If we get help along the way from some upsets it could happen, but if seeds hold it will be very difficult. I think we could get 5 or 6 total wins from the others. Because we have 3 big time wrestlers could be enough to get us into an 8th place type finish because the of skewed scoring, but that is if they all finish in top 3 and I think they could. If one of the lower seeded wrestlers gets 2-3 wins that would greatly increase our chances, if we only get 3-4 wins from them combined we could be in trouble. We have to consider the top 10 teams in the country all have better teams and the only way we get ahead of them is to have the seeds hold for us and not for them.

No way we get past
Iowa
tOSU
Minn
Miss.
Corn.
Ill.
PSU

so that leaves in 8th if we can beat Edinboro, ISU, OkSt, Neb.

I think at best we are 8-9
good weekend 10-11
average weekend 11-12
bad weekend 13-15

based on our coaches history I will go with 11-12

But the seeds say that Bucky should finish seventh - do you think that the seeding committee was too generous to Bucky? Yet you are willing only to think that on their best day that they will under-perform their seeds (because you think 8th is the best possible result). Personally, I see IJ beating Moreno if they meet again (that win would put IJ in the finals). Medbery has beaten all of the higher seeded Big Ten guys and I see no reason why he couldn't do it again. I wouldn't be super stunned to see CM pull off a couple of such wins - they wouldn't really be upsets and it certainly is in the realm of reality. RT will have a tough job to get to the finals (lots of comparable talent) but hey, why not him?

But yes, for these pieces to fall into place means that about six guys have to all be on top of their game for that weekend.

Personally, I thought that the big dogs for the UW were seeded about right.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope