2019-2020

Started by dad 2 5, March 23, 2019, 01:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

Quote from: mkm13 on September 02, 2019, 07:26:14 AM
Looks like Connor Brown will be wrestling at Missouri this year:

https://mutigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7758

A stunning turn of events. Brown initially followed Bono (presumably because a good relationship), then leaves ostensibly because he was burned out on the DI grind. Then his old training mate (Gross) shows up (I presume they must have had a decent relationship) and Brown shows up at D-I Missouri...at 133, evidently. I wonder if he was indeed burned out and the break rekindled his desires, but not at 125. But when Gross steps in at 133 there is no place for Brown - presuming he doesn't want to make the cut anymore. All speculation on my part - no inside information here.

Either way, glad to see him back on the mat!
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

walden_hiker

I expected there to be roster turnover with a new coach;however, I was not anticipating that the guys Coach Bono brought over (breske & brown) would leave within a year.  Not sure if it's cause for concern but very interesting.

npope

Quote from: walden_hiker on September 02, 2019, 07:51:48 PM

I expected there to be roster turnover with a new coach;however, I was not anticipating that the guys Coach Bono brought over (breske & brown) would leave within a year.  Not sure if it's cause for concern but very interesting.

So, Breske is out, as well?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

dad 2 5

Quote from: npope on September 02, 2019, 09:21:05 PM

Not listed on the roster, I don't think it is an oversight

bigoil

Not a cause of concern. Brown is from Missouri and wanted to be back home. Breske didn't make it at NU, tried a new home and it still didn't work.

wrastle63

Blaine Brenner, Matt Bianchi, and Hayden Copass to visit UW in a couple weeks!

imnofish

Quote from: BackwardsHatAttack on September 03, 2019, 07:41:24 PM
Quote from: dad 2 5 on September 03, 2019, 06:33:49 PM
Quote from: npope on September 02, 2019, 09:21:05 PM

Not listed on the roster, I don't think it is an oversight

Breske out.

Schoenherr tore knee again. Likely out for year and hoping not career ending.

Sorry to hear about Schoenherr's injury (again).  Hope he is able to recover and keep competing.
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

factfinder

I don't see any reason for alarm at this point. Bono is a specific kind of coach that is not going to be a fit for everyone. Once he can surround himself with his type of athlete he will be able to get the Badgers to a new level.
The real question is what type of wrestler fits his style the best?
I think he likes the attack style scrapper that's a bit of an underdog? I don't see the slick or finnes type wrestlers working or the defensive counter shot style. I don't know that with the lack of senior level athletes and the way the Badger RTC functions along with Bono's style that the Badgers will draw in many Blue chip guys. But I don't think that will hold them back from climbing the ladder.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: factfinder on September 11, 2019, 07:46:40 AM
I don't see any reason for alarm at this point. Bono is a specific kind of coach that is not going to be a fit for everyone. Once he can surround himself with his type of athlete he will be able to get the Badgers to a new level.
The real question is what type of wrestler fits his style the best?
I think he likes the attack style scrapper that's a bit of an underdog? I don't see the slick or finnes type wrestlers working or the defensive counter shot style. I don't know that with the lack of senior level athletes and the way the Badger RTC functions along with Bono's style that the Badgers will draw in many Blue chip guys. But I don't think that will hold them back from climbing the ladder.

What's your definition of Blue Chip?  Gross could have gone ANYWHERE in the country.  Barnett and Christensen and Burwick were all 1 or 2 in the country at their weights.  Trey Escobar was ranked 3rd in the country at his weight.  If we get Braxton Amos, he's the definition of BLUE CHIP!!

Future is Bright in Madison 8) 8) 8) 8)

factfinder

Braxton would be the a great Blue Chip example and a great get if the Badgers get him.
I would not call the 35th ranked guy and a guy not on the top 100 Blue chip recruits, especially on a year that the light weights were a bit thin.
Gross is a great example of what Bono does!! Take an elite guy that has had some issues like Gross did after getting kick off of Iowa and dust them off and get them embarrassing that underdog roll.