Wisconsin Wrestlers earning ALL American during Barry's tenure

Started by wrestler_73, August 03, 2015, 12:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaguarwrestler

to put things into perspective

if we count their career, in 2013 the Penn St roster had more championships than Barry in 20+ years and probably near 30-35 AA's by the time they all graduate.

so about 30 wrestlers from 1 team did as much or more than BD has done with around 250 wrestlers through his career.  

oh... and their coach has been there 5-6 years and they where about average/slightly below average (like us) before he arrived.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

Big Steve

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on August 04, 2015, 01:39:31 PM

if we count their career, in 2013 the Penn St roster had more championships than Barry in 20+ years and probably near 30-35 AA's by the time they all graduate.

so about 30 wrestlers from 1 team did as much or more than BD has done with around 250 wrestlers through his career.  

oh... and their coach has been there 5-6 years and they where about average/slightly below average (like us) before he arrived.

Jag, I don't think anyone on here can make the argument that BD is a better coach/developer than Cael. You can also add Olympic gold Medalist to Cael's accomplishments as he almost solely formed Jake Varner's freestyle career.
Unfortunately for us there are very few Cael's walking the streets.

Barou

An absolute credit to Penn State for going after Cael.  That is a passionate wrestling community.  They made the change and went after Cael because their athletic department expected more from their wrestling community.  What they had was still better than BD results but they expected more.
JHI Mafia

badgerjohn

Quote from: Barou on August 04, 2015, 02:46:20 PM

An absolute credit to Penn State for going after Cael.  That is a passionate wrestling community.  They made the change and went after Cael because their athletic department expected more from their wrestling community.  What they had was still better than BD results but they expected more.

Location, Location, Location = recruiting base.    I think Cael made it pretty clear he didn't think he could be king of the hill in Ames.

Money, money, money.  Common knowledge Cael got handed one million dollars from boosters to move from Ames to Happy Valley.

Money, money, money.  Common knowledge same boosters made major contributions to PSU.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

badgerjohn

I think you have it backwards Barou  ... the boosters checkbooks dictated to their athletic department.

Barou

Quote from: badgerjohn on August 04, 2015, 03:35:44 PM

Location, Location, Location = recruiting base.    I think Cael made it pretty clear he didn't think he could be king of the hill in Ames.

Money, money, money.  Common knowledge Cael got handed one million dollars from boosters to move from Ames to Happy Valley.

Money, money, money.  Common knowledge same boosters made major contributions to PSU.

And an AD that made it happen.
JHI Mafia

badgerjohn

Quote from: Barou on August 04, 2015, 03:41:55 PM

And an AD that made it happen.

Yep, all it took was money, gobs of it.

Barou

Cael didn't come cheap, common knowledge it is.  UW doesn't have the fan base, the passion, the boosters, or the money, agreed.  My argument would be that UW still has a lot to offer to get better.  What's Barry getting like $110K plus benefits.  I am of the opinion that UW could hire another HC for that amount of money that could be way more successful than BD.  I'd start with Ben Askren, Sammie Henson, Mark Perry, and Marty Morgan (understand he is retired but could be lured by a HC job).
JHI Mafia

Ivan Stankowski

How about Bo Ryan, he will be unemployed after this year.

badgerjohn

[/quote]

Cael didn't come cheap, common knowledge it is.  UW doesn't have the fan base, the passion, the boosters, or the money, agreed.  My argument would be that UW still has a lot to offer to get better.  What's Barry getting like $110K plus benefits.  I am of the opinion that UW could hire another HC for that amount of money that could be way more successful than BD.  I'd start with Ben Askren, Sammie Henson, Mark Perry, and Marty Morgan (understand he is retired but could be lured by a HC job).
[/quote]

I admire your passion Barou.  As I see it and understand it ---- wrestling is a non revenue sport, even if there was an "improvement" (however that is defined) the program will still lose / cost UW.  Improvements usually cost money.  I just don't see UW admins going down that road.

If I'm not mistaken, when you factor in all associated costs, at Iowa even with their 7 to 10,000 crowd average they still "lose" money.  And unfortunately money is what rules at the end of the day.

At PSU millions and millions were put up first.

Jimmy

Quote from: Big Steve on August 04, 2015, 02:37:20 PM

Jag, I don't think anyone on here can make the argument that BD is a better coach/developer than Cael. You can also add Olympic gold Medalist to Cael's accomplishments as he almost solely formed Jake Varner's freestyle career.
Unfortunately for us there are very few Cael's walking the streets.
Give Drew a chance. He will give you an argument .

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Fact: About 10-15 vocal people on this webpage believe there is a problem with Wisconsin Wrestling, yet 9093 people on Facebook "like" Wisconsin Wrestling on Facebook

Fact: I am one of the 9093 !!

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

badgerjohn

Quote from: The Angry Fish on August 04, 2015, 05:16:03 PM
Lol. Badger John has resorted to making stuff up to defend BD's performance? Million dollar back room deals? There wasn't any million dollar check written out to Sanderson?

Sorry to disappoint you coco, I don't have a dog in this fight.  I will support the Badgers and every other in-state program.  There's nothing positive to be gained by trying as hard as some of you are to destroy the program and people involved with it.

Yes it took millions from boosters to have these facilities  http://www.gopsusports.com/facilities/lorenzo-complex.html

And no I'm not saying "back room deals".  Money can be funneled from boosters through clubs and the likes.  Happens all the time and is legal.  I expected some one of your knowledge and expertise to comprehend. 

hammen

Not that it matters, but many of the PSU insiders who post great stuff on themat.com forums (much more enjoyable and intriguing to read right now than this) vocalized the $1m in payment. Not sure if his still continues or if this was earlier in his career at PSU. That was a while back, so feel free to search the history of the thousands of threads on Cael & Co to confirm.