Barry Davis and the history of the UW wrestling program

Started by wrestlemania, April 02, 2015, 12:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

OneEye. I know you know more than me from being there, but Andy was a scape-goat for a lot of problems in the Athletic Department. We all were able to go up and work out at the facility at any point. That was stopped. What Andy did to raise that amount was so awesome at that time. Yes, SOMEBODY had a problem. Things were so much more secret than when there was not the level of communication we have now.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

OneEyedFatMan

Agreed. Yes, Andy was scaped for sure.

Quote from: woody53 on April 09, 2015, 06:29:51 PM
OneEye. I know you know more than me from being there, but Andy was a scape-goat for a lot of problems in the Athletic Department. We all were able to go up and work out at the facility at any point. That was stopped. What Andy did to raise that amount was so awesome at that time. Yes, SOMEBODY had a problem. Things were so much more secret than when there was not the level of communication we have now.

"Dying ain't much of a livin', boy"

imnofish

Quote from: OneEyedFatMan on April 10, 2015, 10:42:20 AM
Agreed. Yes, Andy was scaped for sure.

Quote from: woody53 on April 09, 2015, 06:29:51 PM

I recall Matt Demaray and a couple of other wrestlers from that era telling me the same thing, when Andy got pushed out.  My kid went to several Wisconsin camps and really thought a lot of Andy (and the prospect of wrestling somewhere in college).  He went to one camp where Barry was and totally changed his mind about wrestling in college, on the basis of Barry's message to the kids.  For some reason, it really turned him off.  In his case, I think it turned out for the best, but it really struck me how that experience directly impacted his feelings, like somebody just flipped a switch. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

billymurphy

It will be interesting how Lee does at Pittsburg.  I wonder if Lee plans to compete in Fargo this summer.

Robert Lee (Kaukauna, Wis.), a three-time state champion and four-time state finalist, verbally committed to Pittsburgh. The projected 133/141-pound wrestler is currently ranked No. 14 nationally at 138 pounds. He placed eighth in the Super 32 Challenge at 145 pounds this fall, and was runner-up at 132 pounds in the FloNationals one year ago. Lee will join Eli Seipel (St. Paris Graham, Ohio) as a nationally ranked wrestler to commit to the Panthers in their 2015 recruiting class.

mkm13

Lee is a similar level of recruit to many guys we have brought in over the last few years from WI and done nothing at the big 10 level.  Like many of the others, he has to improve a quite a bit to become a good big 10 wrestler, but also has the potential to get there.

If you want to get to the level many people want to get to on this board (compete with Iowa, OSU, PSU, Minnesota), Lee is not the type of recruit you can offer much scholarship money to.  It is unfortunate UW could not get him.  Hope he does well at Pitt.

lizard king

Quote from: mkm13 on April 13, 2015, 05:48:21 PM
Lee is a similar level of recruit to many guys we have brought in over the last few years from WI and done nothing at the big 10 level.  Like many of the others, he has to improve a quite a bit to become a good big 10 wrestler, but also has the potential to get there.

If you want to get to the level many people want to get to on this board (compete with Iowa, OSU, PSU, Minnesota), Lee is not the type of recruit you can offer much scholarship money to.  It is unfortunate UW could not get him.  Hope he does well at Pitt.

Really?  Was he recruited?  Was he asked to come with little or no money?  Did they even let him know they were interested?  Or is Wisconsin too good to ask kids?  Let's face it there isn't a lot of money so Lee is exactly the kind of kid we do need to get, with out spending a lot.  I know for a fact, some of these kids would go to Madison, and give up more money else where, but they need to be asked.

billymurphy

I thought a few months ago Lee's father said that
Wisconsin had talked with Lee. A school not in the
Big Ten seems like the right move to me also.

littleguy301

Well, with the roster having JL, JT, RT, JJ, Eli Stickley and others all ready there, I think the Badgers maybe a bit cool on Lee because of issues with room. I could be wrong and I wish Robert Lee all the best at PITT!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: littleguy301 on April 13, 2015, 09:35:37 PM
Well, with the roster having JL, JT, RT, JJ, Eli Stickley and others all ready there, I think the Badgers maybe a bit cool on Lee because of issues with room. I could be wrong and I wish Robert Lee all the best at PITT!

I agree Badgers loaded with wrestlers from 125-141 for the next couple years.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

BOURNE

Quote from: lizard king on April 13, 2015, 06:21:40 PM

Really?  Was he recruited?  Was he asked to come with little or no money?  Did they even let him know they were interested?  Or is Wisconsin too good to ask kids?  Let's face it there isn't a lot of money so Lee is exactly the kind of kid we do need to get, with out spending a lot.  I know for a fact, some of these kids would go to Madison, and give up more money else where, but they need to be asked.

Hey liz: What a ridiculous post, even for a newcomer. "Was he recruited?  Was he asked....?" I don't know, do you? What a self-righteous comment. Do you honestly think that the coaches sit in the stands at the state tournament and not see the performance of the Wisconsin athletes?  The Badgers look pretty solid at that weight, but i'm sure they talked to all the top recruits.
Tip: think of something to actually add before you jump on a "bashing" bandwagon. Perhaps something that shows you know something about wrestling?

lizard king

Quote from: BOURNE on April 14, 2015, 08:55:07 AM
Quote from: lizard king on April 13, 2015, 06:21:40 PM

Hey liz: What a ridiculous post, even for a newcomer. "Was he recruited?  Was he asked....?" I don't know, do you? What a self-righteous comment. Do you honestly think that the coaches sit in the stands at the state tournament and not see the performance of the Wisconsin athletes?  The Badgers look pretty solid at that weight, but i'm sure they talked to all the top recruits.
Tip: think of something to actually add before you jump on a "bashing" bandwagon. Perhaps something that shows you know something about wrestling?

You, think so???  Interesting, I guess maybe people like you do believe everything you hear....  I happen to know a few kids who did wrestle in the state and wrestled well.  Kids who placed at fargo, kids who placed at Flo, kids who wrestled else where and were NEVER talked to.  NEVER asked, and probably would have given up a scholarship to be at Madison.  Before you start talking too smart to me, understand that I have been reading this forum for over 6 years.  I have been involved with wrestling in this state for over 50 years.  I know nothing about the badgers really, but what I know as facts I will say, and what I don't know I will ask.  For my own reasons I waited until know to log in here, So, relax Frances.

lizard king

And yes, by the way, I think coaches sit in the stands and do not notice some kids.......

BOURNE

BOURNE

Liz:

I see what you did there. With the "Frances" thing. Stripes, right?

charteroak1

I get a kick out of reading some of these posts.  So, everyone wants the Barry and the Badgers to be National Champs Correct?  But yet, we should make sure that Barry and Co. talks and recruits every state champion in WI.  I hate to say it but, if I'm looking to win a national championship I'm sending my letters to every Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio, Jersey, California and even Iowa state champion first.  I love Wisconsin and will support them, but we will never win with the depth that our state currently has.  When Barry and Co are fighting for the same guys as WW, UWL, Plattville and other UW system schools, you know you have a problem.  Someone had mentioned in a post during the state tournament that read something like this "Anyone see Barry at the WI state tournament?"  God, I hope not!!!  Mitch, Kyle or Trevor can be there, but Barry better be where the top #100 recruits in the country are and if you've seen Flo (3 kids ranked), Intermat (4 kids ranked) or any other national ranking system, unfortunately WI doesn't have more than 4 kids total out of 280 spots.