All the coaching bashing.....

Started by Musky Hunter, March 29, 2015, 11:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Musky Hunter

Can you imagine a recruit coming on here and reading up on Wisconsin wrestling and see the bashing it receives?  I am all for holding people accountable but some people need to let it go.  Donate to the program and try and help to make it better not blast a coach non stop.  Heck we understand some of you hate the man but it is not doing any good for the program in doing so.  Let the internet trolls do so not the "fans" of a program trying to get it turned around. 

aarons23

Sitting back and excepting the same mediocre outcome isnot the answer  either.  Its  time for a change.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

hammen

The bashing is annoying. We just need to be able to complete a season healthy. Way too many guys wrestled with serious injuries at the end of the season. Hopefully they heal up and completely recover this off season. Don't be surprised if some of the guys start the season a little slow next year due.

DocWrestling

There is only one way to stop the complaining and get recruits excited!

And it is not trying to hush the critical fans.  It is making a change that gives hope for different outcomes.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Musky Hunter

Quote from: hammen on March 30, 2015, 07:32:04 AM
The bashing is annoying. We just need to be able to complete a season healthy. Way too many guys wrestled with serious injuries at the end of the season. Hopefully they heal up and completely recover this off season. Don't be surprised if some of the guys start the season a little slow next year due.

I was sitting with a couple of those kids last week and it is unreal what a battle the season is.  That National Tourney is a fricken battle like I have never seen before.  Kids can't walk, bloody and start the MRI schedules the following week.  I was fortunate enough to play college hoops and not have to deal with that disaster.  A sore back and a bum knee is easy compared to these kids.  I just don't understand that people don't realize bashing on the internet will do zero good as the coach is the coach. The only thing its doing is hurting the program.  O well donate some $ and get some kids in for these boys to role with.  UW has 4 really good kids on the team that could take the next step next year. 

sudden_victory

I doubt any recruit takes forum discussions seriously, but it is just as likely an athlete would think, "I want to go to that school and help make it better by becoming a champion" as he would think, "oh, no, the fans complain about the coach. Better try somewhere else."

Life is a bowl of cherries.

billymurphy

Is anybody surprised that Dieringer is so extremely successful wrestling for John Smith?

sudden_victory

Does anybody think he went to Oklahoma St because of forum comments?
Life is a bowl of cherries.

badgerjohn

Quote from: billymurphy on March 30, 2015, 11:02:06 AM
Is anybody surprised that Dieringer is so extremely successful wrestling for John Smith?

By that logic, John Smith is a failure and should be fired.  Why isn't Okie state team champ every year with 5-6 individual champs?  Why did he have a kid arrested and suspended from the team when Okie St was hosting last year?

Let he without fault cast the first stone.

I am proud to say I will continue to support and donate to the Badger wrestling club.  Post grad practice partners for the team is an absolute for improvement.

Part of the problem?  Or part of the solution?  We all have a choice.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

Musky Hunter

Quote from: sudden_victory on March 30, 2015, 11:09:03 AM
Does anybody think he went to Oklahoma St because of forum comments?

Not at all, the point was does anybody think the bashing of the coaching staff does the program any good at all?  No problem to blast every once in awhile to make yourself feel better but it is not going to make one bit of difference in the coaching situation.  I can bash with the best of them!  

Musky Hunter

Quote from: badgerjohn on March 30, 2015, 11:27:35 AM
Quote from: billymurphy on March 30, 2015, 11:02:06 AM

By that logic, John Smith is a failure and should be fired.  Why isn't Okie state team champ every year with 5-6 individual champs?  Why did he have a kid arrested and suspended from the team when Okie St was hosting last year?

Let he without fault cast the first stone.

I am proud to say I will continue to support and donate to the Badger wrestling club.  Post grad practice partners for the team is an absolute for improvement.

Part of the problem?  Or part of the solution?  We all have a choice.

You just said it better than I could.  It seems a definite passion from some on this board but redirect the passion into helping out and not bringing it down.  Oh well, I was just venting.  Hope UW lands a couple big recruits and finishes better next year.  To think these wrestlers do not read this stuff is just flat out incorrect.  It is sad when the fire is fueled by their so called "fans" and not the opposition. 

billymurphy

I thought I saw that same kid you are referring to win some matches at nationals the past weekend.
And it is true that Iowa does have their fair share of legal problems in case you bring up them next.
Barry does run a clean program.  That is a fact. Hammen certainly is headed on the path of being a highly productive
member of society.

If I remember right, Oklahoma State
took 2nd place behind Penn State just two years ago and what was their place this year?

The Badgers are actually loaded with returning talent.  I agree it is foolish to
complain too much considering next season should be great.  But, one cannot
totally ignore the fact that the Wisconsin guys on the varsity struggled greatly this year.

DocWrestling

If this was basketball or football, the media would be leading the "bashing" or "questioning".

In wrestling there is no media, if you want change it has to come from the people on this forum because nobody else in the state cares!

I don't call it "bashing" because by all accounts Barry Davis is a great person and has been a great mentor in the life of the young men he brings in.  But as a fan I do think the time has run its course and it is just time for a "change".  I realize the risk of "change" as there is a 66% chance that it does not improve anything when you have a 1/3 chance things get worse with a new coach, 1/3 chance it stays the same, and a 1/3 chance it gets better.

I donate to the university to get tickets in many sports.  I always earmark that money specifically to wrestling.  They need it more than anyone!
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!

Street Glide

Start slow, end slow. All I know is Barry had had some of the best kids in his state come to his school and do Nothing. Let take for example Jesse Thielke and Alex Derienger. Coming out of high school both had been excellent recruits, both won just about everything you can win prior to college. You can see for yourself how things have shaken out for these two young men.

Could Derienger come close to be academically eligble for UW, no.  I think if some research is done the answer will be found.  Alex ended up at a terrific school for wrestling for him.  Congrats to his titles!  Was a perfect fit for him.

hammen

Quote from: Josh Crass on March 30, 2015, 12:32:58 PM
you cants use school academics as an excuse.... you know when there is an athletic student, they will get him in, in all sports.
I knew a guy  that scored a 17 on his ACT and held a 2.3 gpa in HS, got into WI for wrestling.....

That is absolutely not true. There have been many instances in all sports. There will continue to be instances. There are many factors that go into admission. The former head football coach cited it as one of the reasons he left because he likes recruiting JUCO kids. RT didn't get in right away, but stayed the course and got in Spring semester. I know of a few former prospects on the track/cross side, as well as football and basketball, who did not get in. It happens multiple times every year.