at Michigan, 1-23-15

Started by leg turk, January 12, 2015, 08:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

I think 125 is a real key to the dual; JJ might be able to steal that one if he is in the lineup, but given his recent illness it wouldn't seem likely for him to show. If Cav is in there it is likely that the UW gives up points there - can only hope that those lost points are minimized.

It would also be a nice time for JT to assert himself. I think his current troubles are largely due to a loss of confidence; dealing with mental issues is a tough one for coaches, but a good win does wonders for restoring that confidence. Let's hope this is the night.

Everybody has a job to do.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Gutwrench

Quote from: npope on January 13, 2015, 12:09:47 PM
but a good win does wonders for restoring that confidence

I agree, and I think we saw this with JT last year.  He had such a rough start to the season, but turned things around during the season.  By the end of the season and the B10 tourney, he was right there knocking on the door for nationals.

I also think back to his redshirt freshman season when he was looking really good.  He has it in him to be a highly successful collegiate wrestler I have to believe.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: Gutwrench on January 13, 2015, 03:29:37 PM
Quote from: npope on January 13, 2015, 12:09:47 PM
but a good win does wonders for restoring that confidence

I agree, and I think we saw this with JT last year.  He had such a rough start to the season, but turned things around during the season.  By the end of the season and the B10 tourney, he was right there knocking on the door for nationals.

I also think back to his redshirt freshman season when he was looking really good.  He has it in him to be a highly successful collegiate wrestler I have to believe.

I still firmly believe he is a small 141, this may also play a part in the confidence. If anyone needs evidence of his size, watch the Midlands finals at 141, both of those guys look like they have 10-15 pounds of muscle of JT. Knowing he couldn't make 133 might be hurting his confidence as he probably had sites of being that weight for the last couple years. Not getting picked to go to NCAA's when the guy he crushed did get picked probably doesn't help. I'm sure watching guys he thrashed in HS who are now some of the top wrestlers in the country doesn't help as he is struggling to compete with wrestlers at the bottom end of the Top 20. Then you have school, girls, family, friends and just life in general. I'm not making excuses as none of what I said may be true, but I can see where it could all play a part into someone questioning themselves. He really needs to pick it up a few gears if he wants any shot at NCAA's, he is going to need to pull at least 1 or 2 upsets at the B1G in order to auto qualify and he is going to need to auto qualify in order to get in.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

mkm13

Small for 141, but can't make 133?

Street Glide

Which JT will show up.  There's times he's brilliant, then as brilliant as he can be, he can also drift off.  If he has had his sites on 133 for as long as Jag may think, then JT himself has been his worst opponent.  I also agree he's going to need a auto seed to get in.  Does he have it in him?  Talent wise I completely believe he does.  Menatally wise is what remains to be seen.  As Badger fans all of us wish him the best these upcoming weeks.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: mkm13 on January 13, 2015, 04:33:21 PM
Small for 141, but can't make 133?

yes, I think he is caught between weights. I bet he can make 133 once I believe but not week in and week out, very few guys at 141 could make 133 but I think JT could for international when you have to make weight once and have a day to recover.

npope

While I cannot say that I understand what it means to compete at a level that JT does/has, I can relate to the power of one's mental state. I was a pretty good small school wrestler in college. That said, there were times when my confidence (and interest in winning) were no where to be found - it just disappeared for weeks at a time. I couldn't control it - it came and went of its own volition. I have to think that those same issue have the ability to mess with the heads of some of the top level wrestlers as well - although not as commonly as they might with lower level guys. I think this is a point of differentiation between some of those top guys and the not-so-top guys.

Maybe JT is subject to that vulnerability. Anyway, I agree that he can be one of the best...on any given day. Hope he gets it squared away.

Nat Pope

harley

Maybe it is a slight case of burnout, it happens. It's just a guess

jaguarwrestler

Quote from: harley on January 13, 2015, 07:45:54 PM

wrestling year round for how many years in a row... could be... anything is possible. I wish him the best whatever the trouble he is dealing with.

brave112

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on January 14, 2015, 07:14:14 AM
Quote from: harley on January 13, 2015, 07:45:54 PM

wrestling year round for how many years in a row... could be... anything is possible. I wish him the best whatever the trouble he is dealing with.

I think it is this exactly. He's a 20-21 year old kid at a great school that knows how to have fun and there are other interests in his life that he probably wishes would take precedence over wrestling at this point of his life. Another thing that I think helps college wrestlers is to have a couple defeats in their high school years. Look at both Deiringer and Sueflohn, they both took their lumps here and there (not much, but just enough) at the high school level and I think that kept them hungry in a way. Those 2 have both have  successful college resumes with Deiringer becoming an absolute stud. I also wonder if Barry calling him out early in the season didn't help? I'm not saying it's Barry's fault or anything, b/c he felt the way he felt and wanted to express his opinion, but that can weigh on a young kid. Just my opinion.

billymurphy

It is a mystery.  It seems impossible that he could not be in shape, but
yet he looks like he did in the wrestle offs against Lantz, where he
seems there part of the time and then disappears for awhile and you wonder
why he has stopped wrestling.  Naturally, I find it hard to believe
he cannot turn it around, but for sure, Thielke is not firing on all
cylinders yet. 
Dieringer looks so good that it would not shock me that if he were allowed to,
that he could bump up and win the national title at 174 also.
Logan Stieber is headed for the wrestler of the year,
but Dieringer has got to be second in the voting.

leg turk

Maybe he's not "buying in" ?

Barou

Quote from: leg turk on January 15, 2015, 07:15:08 AM
Maybe he's not "buying in" ?

Yep, and if/when he starts winning consistently it's because he bought in.
JHI Mafia

wrestle03

We have seen many times that many people who had very impressive accolades in high school didn't cut it in college.  To think that there were a couple of bone heads on this forum who claimed he would win 4 national titles is beyond comical.  At this point his chances of qualifying for nationals this year are slim to none.  Everyone in Division 1 wrestling is talented and all of these guys have the same pressures of being in school, girls, partying, etc etc.  It comes down to how you deal with it.  At the end of the day its kind of simple.  How hard are you willing to work and how bad do you want it?  State championships are a dime a dozen in college wrestling and no one is intimidated by that. 

npope

Well, let's not forget that JT actually took sixth at the Midlands his freshman year; he has the ability to be a player at the DI level. So these recent results are indeed surprising. Personally however, I would be hesitant to think I know for sure what his problems are on the mat - could be a lot of things. But I would be very hesitant to simply attribute them to a lack of desire or effort (although it could be). The fact of the matter is that just because somebody cares (and works his ever-loving arse off) doesn't guarantee success on the mat. It helps, but it doesn't guarantee anything. That's part of the wonderful experience athletics can provide - it's a good life-lesson.

All that said, I hope that we posters can be tactful in whatever we say about our Badger wrestlers - I am sure some of them peruse this forum. Personally, given what I know about the commitment needed to be part of a Big Ten program (regardless of your on-the-mat success) and the brick walls those guys are expected to smash through in practice every single day, they all have my utmost respect; I truly applaud them and am impressed with their work ethic. That doesn't mean their results on the mat should be off limits with respect to discussion, but I hope all of us understand the level of commitment those guys are exhibiting just by showing up every day and not quitting. That's pretty impressive all by itself.

Nat Pope