What's the new line up?

Started by leg turk, June 11, 2014, 10:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

npope

Quote from: MNbadger on June 22, 2014, 12:43:40 PM
Billy, no disrespect intended but how do you find your way into the line up AND redshirt?

That means that a wrestler has redshirted and has the athletic status of a freshman (or sophomore, etc.). Most of the current Badgers have redshirted their freshman year - and all of the guys on the most recent lineup list have redshirted (I believe). That said, the lineup, with their respective athletic standing attached, is:

125 Taylor - sophomore
133 Thielke - sophomore
141 Grahek - freshman
149 Lubeck - sophomore
157 Jordan - sophomore
165 Liegel - freshman
174 Stilling - freshman
184 Robertson - freshman
197 McCall - senior
Hwt Medbery - junior

I gotta tell you, that young line up will not strike fear into the hearts of any Big Ten team; simply too many unproven and unknown guys. If they can win half of their Big Ten duals and finish in the top 15 at the NCAA then Davis would get my vote for coach of the year.

Also, York was listed as a RS senior last year. I believe that would mean that he is done, right?
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

Spartan

No York got a medical redshirt last season

billymurphy

Ryan Christensen is a prime candidate to take over McCall's spot next year and be a four year starter, but will redshirt this year is how I see it.

MNbadger

Nat, I am well aware of what a red shirt year is.  My question was that Billy had Christenen making the line up AND red shirting which is impossible.  
"Ryan Christensen will find his way into the starting lineup, but likely redshirts this season. "
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

npope

Quote from: MNbadger on June 22, 2014, 09:47:58 PM
Nat, I am well aware of what a red shirt year is.  My question was that Billy had Christenen making the line up AND red shirting which is impossible.  
"Ryan Christensen will find his way into the starting lineup, but likely redshirts this season. "

Ahhh, misread the original content. Sorry.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

dad 2 5

Quote from: npope on June 22, 2014, 01:39:01 PM
Quote from: MNbadger on June 22, 2014, 12:43:40 PM
Billy, no disrespect intended but how do you find your way into the line up AND redshirt?

That means that a wrestler has redshirted and has the athletic status of a freshman (or sophomore, etc.). Most of the current Badgers have redshirted their freshman year - and all of the guys on the most recent lineup list have redshirted (I believe). That said, the lineup, with their respective athletic standing attached, is:

125 Taylor - sophomore
133 Thielke - sophomore
141 Grahek - freshman
149 Lubeck - sophomore
157 Jordan - sophomore
165 Liegel - freshman
174 Stilling - freshman
184 Robertson - freshman
197 McCall - senior
Hwt Medbery - junior

I gotta tell you, that young line up will not strike fear into the hearts of any Big Ten team; simply too many unproven and unknown guys. If they can win half of their Big Ten duals and finish in the top 15 at the NCAA then Davis would get my vote for coach of the year.

Also, York was listed as a RS senior last year. I believe that would mean that he is done, right?

Looking at that line up is pretty hope-filled.
Taylor - good for a win most days
Thielke - improved all year and will be tough most night. Going to 33 will make him even more of a force.
Grahek  - not sure what the team will get out of him the first year but there will be some wins
Lubeck - good for wins, over half his matches and be in most. He could be one to surprise people and get some wins
Jordan at 57 is good for wins and bonus points most days
Liegel will scrap hard and have some win and some close ones
Stilling too could surprise some and get a few more wins than would be expected for a freshmen
Robertson will be above average and could move to good and great quickly. He is tough
McCall will get some wins and could get more if he keeps his head focused on the task at hand
Medbery I hope he returns with some angry focus and aggressiveness that moves a bunch of the L into W's

It will come down to match-ups and I think we will match up pretty good in duals and be a solid B1G team and NCAA team. I would hope for a top 7 in the B1G and top 15 in the NCAA's

Jimmy

leg turk

Zeke will be 165, and Liegel will be 174, and Barry Davis will be coach of the year.

ankle pick

Quote from: leg turk on June 24, 2014, 08:43:25 AM
Zeke will be 165, and Liegel will be 174, and Barry Davis will be coach of the year.

You might get 2 out of the 3 right.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Here is my updated projection:

125 Taylor, Cavallaris
133 Thielke, Grahek
141 Crone, Grahek, Lubeck?
149 Lubeck, Crone
157 Ruschell, Donar
165 Jordan
174 Stilling, Liegel, Iczkowski, Cousins, Cox - Tossup
184 Robertson
197 McCall, Peissig
285 Medbery, Horwath

If Crone cannot beat Lubeck, I would be surprised if he does not try 141.  Crone wrestled 145.5 in May, I bet he can make 141.
I also wonder if Lubeck can go 141; he did not this year perhaps because Thielke was at 141.  Grahek wrestled at 138.5 this spring also.

If Jordan wrestles 165, it certainly opens up a few opportunities between 141 - 157 - I certainly like our growing depth chart !!

Not sure who survives the Battle Royale at 174...

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

dad 2 5

It will be interesting where Zeke ends up. I have not talked to him but a couple guys on the team said he was going 65 which from a team stand point makes a lot of sense. If he goes 57 it is better for him.

charteroak1

I could see Jordan do something similar to what Graff did.  Start the year at 165 and then come tournament time go 157.  165 is going to be a tough weight class without Jordan as it is.  If this is true, can't wait to see a potential Jordan vs Jordan match!

badgerjohn

Quote from: Jimmy on June 23, 2014, 10:23:25 PM
Could york be 65 or even 74?

Bugenhagen (sp?) went from 184 to HWY in one off season.   8)

My memory is suspect, and I have not looked it up (yet),  but I think York played football about 175 or so, and that's where he started the wrestling season his last 2 years of high school, then wrestled his way down to the 140ish range.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11

Dale Einerson

I still say Lubeck can and might go 41.

badgerjohn

Quote from: charteroak1 on June 24, 2014, 04:36:09 PM
I could see Jordan do something similar to what Graff did.  Start the year at 165 and then come tournament time go 157.  165 is going to be a tough weight class without Jordan as it is.  If this is true, can't wait to see a potential Jordan vs Jordan match!

Graff had every intention of staying at 141 for the full year.  After wrestling some of the better 141 competition at Cliff Keen Vegas the first week of December, plans changed.  Graff just did not have the length and height to compete with the best at 141 even with body fat of next to nothing.  Zeke is not undersized for 165 if he spends the off season adjusting.
"Common sense rarely survives an encounter with lawyers."  DrSnide 12/28/11