Northern Iowa ( Nov 30th, 7 p.m )

Started by leg turk, November 25, 2013, 08:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOURNE

Thielke will do fine. Just making adjustments to Folkstyle. And - Ps 23:4 - he hasn't even pulled out the rod or staff yet...   :-)

jaguarwrestler

JT has lost... what 6 times? 5 of those to ranked wrestlers.... and 1 in a match he likely should have won.

the ranked wrestlers, mostly upperclassmen... are likely as good as they are going to get, JT on the other hand is getting better and making adjustments everyday. I believe he will close the gap on most of these people by the end of the year.

Is it really a surprise that a person that hasn't had to mat wrestle in a couple years needs to work on his mat skills?

I look forward to every match he wrestles, he will open some eyes before the year is over.
I am not in danger, I AM the danger!

npope

Personally, I just wish everybody would just leave JT alone. It's obvious that there was too much hype in the years leading up to this point - he's got some growing left to be done. Maybe he gets there, maybe he doesn't - but it's going to take some time for him to flower. He's got the pedigree - but so do a ton of other guys.

And psalms, you're lucky ROCKY3 isn't still on this forum - he'd find a way to reach right through your computer monitor to pound you for talking down about JT ;)
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

BOURNE

dad 2 5

I think JT is in the future and is going to be ok. He may not get to AA place I thought he might but I still have a look of hope for him win a bunch yet this year. I am concerned with the amount of wrestling he has done over the summer and school year. I think Zeke is having a great season. RT looks good so far. Medberry and Graff are doing what they should minus Graff flop at UNI. Hein was looking good, hopefully back to full strength this weekend along with Leigal. 49,65,97 going to be weak weight but they can improve.

I can see Friday being a tough night but Sunday should be a good day. We need a couple of guys to really step up a surprise us with wins Friday.

26-9 Sunday?

mkm13

Thielke's other issue is he is giving up a quite a bit of strength in most of his matches.  His ideal weight is 133.

psalms23:4

"I have watched Thielke throughout the years and have been quite impressed to say the least just thought maybe someone had an inside tip on an injury/illness/etc.  Maybe wrestling all the greco has gotten him off balance with folkstyle?"

Wow, don't know if I want to get grabbed/punched!  Like I said, I have enjoyed Thielke's almost unbelievable dominance and growth over the last couple years, hence my first post (although maybe written wrong???).  His performance last year was just as remarkable for someone at his age.  I like to hear he is adjusting and will likely adapt and conquer. Go UW!

MantyShip160

I think Thielke will get it figured out in time. Simply put he is at the wrong weight class and giving up a ton of strength. Also I think he's finding out that being able to hit the "big move" whenever he wants isn't as easy in college. Once he is in a correct weight class and added strength he will be just fine.

mkm13

He may close the gap, but IMO he is still a ways off from being a top 15 guy.  He is giving up way too much strength at this point. 

Also, IMO if he wants to eventually compete for a national championship he may need to make a decision on how much he trains for greco in the offseason.

Oldtimer

Didn't Graff struggle at the beginning of last year at 141 also?
Beware of the northern sleeper

leg turk

Not sure what the plan is, but they want Taylor to go to 33 next year, which would mean JT would stay at 141..... time to hit the weights!!!

RollTide

Quote from: mkm13 on December 04, 2013, 03:56:34 PM
Thielke's other issue is he is giving up a quite a bit of strength in most of his matches.  His ideal weight is 133.
I think this is almost entirely the reason that Jesse has struggled.  Remember last year he beat the #2 at 133#.  Giving up length and mass is tough to overcome.  When I look down the list of ranked 133 pounders, I see quite a few that I know Jesse has beat.

MNbadger

You guys should get involved on the Guillotine website.  Many there are convinced going up in weight will result in a National Championship for a wrestler !
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

whatever

Quote from: MNbadger on December 05, 2013, 04:01:30 PM
You guys should get involved on the Guillotine website.  Many there are convinced going up in weight will result in a National Championship for a wrestler !

Yes, it does quite frequently.  Heckm I believe it was 3 years ago that 6 of the D1 national champs had moved up a weight class where they had previously been an All-American.
"....the older I get, the better I was....."