Started by TomM, August 14, 2016, 08:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

boowrestle

Goat,kind of a cheap shot wasn't it?? :) How about we show a little class!!!!!!
you can run but you cannot hide.

GradeTough

It was a tough match for him. Sure, there are things he needs to work on but we should be proud he represented USA and G-Town!

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: Goat Roper on August 15, 2016, 06:50:35 AM
So he needed to be better from the bottom in Folkstyle and it appears that he needs more work from the mat in Greco.  Pattern?

The Par tierre position for All Americans so far has not been good, is this a pattern?

Congrats to Jesse, what an amazing accomplishment

aarons23

Quote from: Goat Roper on August 15, 2016, 11:58:56 AM
Quote from: boowrestle on August 15, 2016, 09:05:20 AM
Goat,kind of a cheap shot wasn't it?? :) How about we show a little class!!!!!!

Did Jesse show any class?  He threw just about everyone under the bus at UW.  Personally I don't feel sorry for him.

He says he is one of the best in the world, but is ranked 17th.

actually the  Olympic rankings show him at 9....just to make an Olympic team is amazing and makes him one of the best in the world.  BTW  who was everyone he threw under the bus...seems to me he only pointed at the coaching staff who threw him under the bus.
Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

vsmf2010

According to the United World Wrestling August 2016 Pre-Olympic Rankings he is 19th down from a previous 17th. That was the most current I could find.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/vlasov-seven-of-eight-world-champs-top-pre-olympic-greco-roman-rankings

59kg – 2015 European Games gold medalist Stepan MARYANYAN (RUS) defeated reigning European champ Mingiyan SEMENOV (RUS), 4-2, on his way to the Spanish Grand Prix title, rejoining the rankings at No.15.

1. Ismael BORRERO MOLINA (CUB) – World No.1 (1)
2. Rovshan BAYRAMOV (AZE) – World No.2 (2)
3. Almat KEBISPAYEV (KAZ) – GGP Final No.1 (3)
4. Mingiyan SEMENOV (RUS) – Europe No.1 (4)
5. YUN Won-Chol (PRK) – World No.3 (5)
6. Soslan DAUROV (BLR) – Pytlasinski Cup No.3 (6)
7. Arsen ERALIEV (KGZ) – Pytlasinski Cup No.3 (7)
8. Stig Andre BERGE (NOR) – Ulaanbaatar OG Qualifier No.2 (9)
9. Elmurat TASMURADOV (UZB) – Ulaanbaatar OG Qualifier No.3 (8)
10. Haitham Mahmoud FAHMY (EGY) – Pytlasinski Cup No.2 (10)
11. Kenichiro FUMITA (JPN) – Pytlasinski Cup No.1 (11)
12. Shinobu OTA (JPN) – Asian OG Qualifier No.2 (12)
13. KIM Seung-Hak (KOR) – Ulaanbaatar OG Qualifier No.1 (13)
14. Hamid SORYAN (IRI) – Istanbul OG Qualifier No.1 (14)
15. Stepan MARYANYAN (RUS) – Spanish GP No.1 (Not Ranked)
16. Andres MONTANO (ECU) – Spanish GP No.2 (nr)
17. Ibragim LABAZANOV (RUS) – Ivan Poddubny No.1 (15)
18. Kristijan FRIS (SRB) – European OG Qualifier No.2 (16)
19. Jesse THIELKE (USA) – Istanbul OG Qualifier No.2 (17)
20. Sanal SEMENOV (RUS) – German GP No.1 (nr)

aarons23

Big house"As part of my mental toughness routine ... I read the forum and try NOT to believe everything on here."

It's very strenuous! 

Opinions are not facts. Because two people differ in opinions doesn't make one of them wrong.

vsmf2010

Quote from: aarons23 on August 15, 2016, 01:23:01 PM
https://www.rio2016.com/en/wrestling-standings-wr-mens-greco-roman-59-kg

That is 9th place in the Olympics not 9th ranked. Ninth is the Olympics is certainly a great accomplishment. I was only addressing the question of where he was/is ranked in the world.

aarons23

Quote from: vsmf2010 on August 15, 2016, 03:14:30 PM

That is 9th place in the Olympics not 9th ranked. Ninth is the Olympics is certainly a great accomplishment. I was only addressing the question of where he was/is ranked in the world.

The Olympics are the biggest event in this sport... So that ranking would be the final ranking...and it does say ranking.  Andy went out the same round as Jesse but he wasn't 9th....

It's very strenuous! 

vsmf2010

Quote from: aarons23 on August 15, 2016, 03:18:36 PM
Quote from: vsmf2010 on August 15, 2016, 03:14:30 PM

The Olympics are the biggest event in this sport... So that ranking would be the final ranking...and it does say ranking.  Andy went out the same round as Jesse but he wasn't 9th....

The Olympics is absolutely the greatest event in this sport. However because each country can only enter 1 wrestler not all of the top wrestlers can compete. At this weight class there are 2 wrestlers from Japan in the top 12 and 4 Russians in the top 20. In Freestyle Russians are ranked 4, 5, 6, 11, 12 at 61kg, 2, 3, 4, at 65kg, 1, 2, 7 at 86kg, and 1, 2, 5, at 97kg.

bigG

The Olympics may be the greatest event in wrestling; but more wrestlers prep for the Worlds than the Oly. The Olympics are the icing on the cake; but if the greats seem to put more weight on Worlds championships as they are more timely and still the best in the world.

Good job, Jesse. I used to dream of being where you ended up.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

wrestling for fun

Good job by Thielke getting there.  Fine line between confidence and arrogance though.   In interview He says he will never lose another match..  may be just a little forward thinking.  Guess we will see.

NWIS

Quote from: wrestling for fun on August 17, 2016, 04:39:28 PM
Good job by Thielke getting there.  Fine line between confidence and arrogance though.   In interview He says he will never lose another match..  may be just a little forward thinking.  Guess we will see.
That could certainly be true if he never wrestled again!!

leg turk

Quote from: NWIS on August 18, 2016, 11:00:13 AM
Quote from: wrestling for fun on August 17, 2016, 04:39:28 PM
That could certainly be true if he never wrestled again!!

Lol....... good one!