Olympics Day: Is it just me, or?

Started by TomM, August 06, 2016, 01:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Heard this a long time ago; "People don't know what they like, they like what they know".

Going into the Olympics I personally look forward to wrestling and perhaps some other competitions I may find interesting...
Early this morning, before trip to dump and errands and other duties, a quick look turned up men's water polo and some other sport.... I've already forgotten which one. Watched for less than five minutes. Nothing wrong with it, just couldn't get my head around it.
Now road biking is on (1:2 5pm as I stop in house for lunch) ....
Anybody else get goosebumps watching this? Holy mackeral, they are going fast and working hard and dangerous... Five minutes watching and three accidents at high speed. Second two took out three medal hopefuls.
As a kid I rode my bike everywhere and way too fast (if it was flat surface or especially downhill). Hit a mailbox once and took out the 4" X 4" pole and wiped out pretty good.  Pretty bad spill once playing 'bike polo' downhill with a softball and bat. Bat went into my spokes... head first over handlebars, cracked my skull pretty well... wrecked the bike. 26" bike, one speed, fat tires... my favorite I'd saved up for. It was a month old.. doh.

I'll get goosebumps watching some other contests in this thing, but not for all the events.
Looking forward to wrestling and the women's triathlon. Other than that I like the track running events and the throws.
I can understand the emotion and competition of the other events.. just don't get into them as much.

So happy for all those there to compete and observe. What fun!!!

On another note: Do we need more basketball, tennis and golf coverage? Yikes... If I don't see more if it ever, it will be too soon. (but that is just me...)
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Jimmy

Right on Tom , well said. The stories of your youth explains a lot also!  ;D ;D ;D

TomM

Olympics Day: Is it just me, or?
I like the idea of 'team handball' although I would not be very good at it, it would be fun.
Hoping to see some live rugby. Tried it intramural for a short time. (again, was not good at it)

TomM

Watching Phelps wearing about a dozen medals won in one Olympics... So I'm thinking .... How about they do all their racing, all the different events and the guy/gal who has the most 1sts (or highest finishes) gets ONE GOLD MEDAL .... One guy, one gal. (I'm probably just jealous of all the medals they can win doing one skill ... well, ok a couple skills if you count different strokes.) ...

uncle Fester

tom if you would have been in Festers biking school you could be competing in rio
we didnt come here for a picnic

NWIS

First to win gold with training wheels!

bigG

Quote from: TomM on August 17, 2016, 09:33:46 PM
Watching Phelps wearing about a dozen medals won in one Olympics... So I'm thinking .... How about they do all their racing, all the different events and the guy/gal who has the most 1sts (or highest finishes) gets ONE GOLD MEDAL .... One guy, one gal. (I'm probably just jealous of all the medals they can win doing one skill ... well, ok a couple skills if you count different strokes.) ...

It takes...diff'rent strokes to move the world; yes, it does.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.