National Signing Day

Started by wrastle63, November 08, 2017, 04:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handsandtoes

Mr Clark I have a son going to school on a baseball scholarship so this has an interest to me. He was offered "scholarships" of different values from 10 different schools. D1, D2, and D3. We visited 7 out of the 10.  I came to find out every single school has different "rules" on how they award scholarships, But every D1 and D2 (D3 can only give academic) would offer a % of athletic and then some academic on top of that. Everyone told us it was because they only have X amount of athletic scholarships available so they give academic on top of that so it does not count toward the scholarship "count".  Almost all D1 schools said they give academic money based on your GPA while in college. (example- If you carry a 3.0 GPA you might get $1000 per year, $3.5 GPA $5000 per year, 1 D1 school said for a 4.0 GPA they give $10,000 per year)  I am not 100% positive but unless UW is using there own rules I don't believe that academic money goes toward the total "9.9 count". If it does it would not make any sense to "recruit" smart kids. Schools would just recruit the best wrestlers and divide up the 9.9.

Ty Clark

Quote from: handsandtoes on December 22, 2017, 07:49:02 PM
Mr Clark I have a son going to school on a baseball scholarship so this has an interest to me. He was offered "scholarships" of different values from 10 different schools. D1, D2, and D3. We visited 7 out of the 10.  I came to find out every single school has different "rules" on how they award scholarships, But every D1 and D2 (D3 can only give academic) would offer a % of athletic and then some academic on top of that. Everyone told us it was because they only have X amount of athletic scholarships available so they give academic on top of that so it does not count toward the scholarship "count".  Almost all D1 schools said they give academic money based on your GPA while in college. (example- If you carry a 3.0 GPA you might get $1000 per year, $3.5 GPA $5000 per year, 1 D1 school said for a 4.0 GPA they give $10,000 per year)  I am not 100% positive but unless UW is using there own rules I don't believe that academic money goes toward the total "9.9 count". If it does it would not make any sense to "recruit" smart kids. Schools would just recruit the best wrestlers and divide up the 9.9.

There are indeed some exemptions, particularly when the athletic aid is offered to all students based on academic achievement (i.e. If all incoming freshmen with a 3.5 GPA get $5,000 off their tuition would not count toward the 9.9 limit.), but the UW doesn't offer such.
"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."
-Mark Twain

handsandtoes

So your saying that because UW does not offer it to every student on campus it has to count against the 9.9? If UW has to count anything besides "athletic scholarships" (and again I don't know if they do or don't) toward there 9.9 then that would be 100% the reason why they are not able to compete in recruiting with schools like Penn St and Iowa. I can't believe that is the case because if it were, just go out and get the best wrestlers you can. The write up on one incoming UW recruit I read was between athletic and academic he said he was getting just under 50%. Why would they even bother giving him Academic? Just give him the "just under 50%" out of the 9.9 right?
I do know some schools work like this. If you get say 50% athletic which adds up to $10,000 per year and you receive a ( booster club, academic, etc.) scholarship some schools make you give that to the admissions office to off set the $10,000 athletic scholarship. But it still only counts as 50% toward the 9.9.   

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on December 25, 2017, 08:05:37 PM
Quote from: leg turk on December 21, 2017, 08:22:13 AM
Eric Barnett, from Hortonville, going to U.N.C.  Flo has him ranked #3 in the nation at 113#.

I have it on pretty good authority that Barnett's decision was based on the high quality of wrestling partners he'd have as a lightweight there (Ramos/Coleman).

So, to take care of everything else in the normal chain of discussion.... Yes, it's Barry Davis's fault. He would be that partner if he wasn't so old. Ruschell & Brandvold are too big. On the other hand, Askren isn't that lightweight either. I guess we blame Barry for Tom Clum & Tyler Graff not staying and training at the Badger RTC? That feels like about right.

B I N G O , winner winner chicken dinner

bigG

That was a huge loss. Cripes I liked the way RT rassled. One tough break for Bucky and a heckuva nice young man. Often as I P&M about the Badger "style" not being as aggressive, I have ro remember we've had some very aggressive wrestlers. Sure wasn't just Donny. I still love watching Graff. Slicker 'n spit.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

littleguy301

Quote from: bigG on December 26, 2017, 08:03:40 AM
That was a huge loss. Cripes I liked the way RT rassled. One tough break for Bucky and a heckuva nice young man. Often as I P&M about the Badger "style" not being as aggressive, I have ro remember we've had some very aggressive wrestlers. Sure wasn't just Donny. I still love watching Graff. Slicker 'n spit.

I think we are in the same boat,,,,I p@m often about the badgers but yet there has been several guys I really enjoyed watching.

Howe.....I know, I know....but man talk about getting on the head and wearing someone down
RT....additude and I loved it.....I remember watching him in high school also and had that "it" factor
Graff.....slicker than any oil spill
Clum,,,,,just fun
Herbst,,,,,,was a pinner and it could happen at any time
Medbury.....can anyone say legs?

I think for the most part the ones I mentioned were afraid of going out and mixing it up in the aggressive way I think some expect.

I know I have left many off the list, just ones in the past decade that I would go out of my way to watch and re-watch there matches!!!!!!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet

bigG

T Turner wasn't the pinner, nor the slickster. He wrestled like a badger. Just tough and kept it coming. I was sure screaming for him in his last NCAA match.

Brett Favre - R.I.P.

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on December 25, 2017, 09:23:58 PM
Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on December 25, 2017, 08:05:37 PM
Quote from: leg turk on December 21, 2017, 08:22:13 AM
Eric Barnett, from Hortonville, going to U.N.C.  Flo has him ranked #3 in the nation at 113#.

I have it on pretty good authority that Barnett's decision was based on the high quality of wrestling partners he'd have as a lightweight there (Ramos/Coleman).

So, to take care of everything else in the normal chain of discussion.... Yes, it's Barry Davis's fault. He would be that partner if he wasn't so old. Ruschell & Brandvold are too big. On the other hand, Askren isn't that lightweight either. I guess we blame Barry for Tom Clum & Tyler Graff not staying and training at the Badger RTC? That feels like about right.

If that doesn't work, we can always blame him for Ryan Taylor's career ending injuries.

I hope you Barry lovers don't forget to buy him flowers and chocolate for Valentine's day

bigG

Quote from: shakerag on December 27, 2017, 09:53:03 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on December 26, 2017, 11:11:16 PM

I think we are in the same boat,,,,I p@m often about the badgers but yet there has been several guys I really enjoyed watching.

Howe.....I know, I know....but man talk about getting on the head and wearing someone down
RT....additude and I loved it.....I remember watching him in high school also and had that "it" factor
Clum,,,,,just fun

I think for the most part the ones I mentioned were afraid of going out and mixing it up in the aggressive way I think some expect.

I know I have left many off the list, just ones in the past decade that I would go out of my way to watch and re-watch there matches!!!!!!

I can't believe you left Kyle Ruschell off the list! And the Blacks!

Good point. Ruschell really represented. Blacks were so fun to watch. Great scramblers.

littleguy301

Quote from: bigG on December 31, 2017, 10:16:08 AM
Quote from: shakerag on December 27, 2017, 09:53:03 AM
Quote from: littleguy301 on December 26, 2017, 11:11:16 PM

Clum,,,,,just fun

I can't believe you left Kyle Ruschell off the list! And the Blacks!

Good point. Ruschell really represented. Blacks were so fun to watch. Great scramblers.

yes they did for sure!

gosh I didnt mean to insult of forget anyone but when I thought off the top of my head I knew I was forgetting some kids that were pretty good!!!!!
If life is tough,,,,wear a helmet