hummingbird(s)

Started by TomM, May 22, 2013, 08:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imnofish

Quote from: Goat Roper on May 23, 2013, 03:45:01 PM
Quote from: imnofish on May 23, 2013, 03:30:42 PM
Quote from: Goat Roper on May 23, 2013, 03:12:42 PM
http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

I follow this regularly.  The orioles travel with the hummingbirds.

Remember don't use red food coloring for hummingbirds as it destroys their kidneys.  Use red colored bottles instead.

The smaller hawks are most likely sharp-shined.

Use cayenne pepper to keep squirrels away from your bird seed.  Doesn't bother the birds since they don't have taste buds.

Thanks for posting this info.  8)   I was not aware of this.  My wife and I will be adjusting accordingly. 

I found that out from the local bird expert a few years ago.  I believe you can use the nectar that has been colored red with chrysanthemum (flower) pedals.

Okay, I thought that's what your were referring to as damaging their kidneys.  That is what we use.   8)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

Todd

Remember don't use red food coloring for hummingbirds as it destroys their kidneys.  Use red colored bottles instead.

Use cayenne pepper to keep squirrels away from your bird seed.  Doesn't bother the birds since they don't have taste buds.

I put cayenne pepper on vaseline on top of the feeders because those dang squirrels are everywhere.  It helped curb them but not eliminate.  I've seen some pretty innovative squirrels.  Time to invest in a wrist rocket and start target practice.
"This page intentionally left blank".

Todd

So in the SE part of the state it show the migration to be here 4/17. Does that mean I missed them?

DrSnide

Quote from: Todd on May 23, 2013, 04:08:18 PM

I follow this regularly.  The orioles travel with the hummingbirds.

Remember don't use red food coloring for hummingbirds as it destroys their kidneys.  Use red colored bottles instead.

Use cayenne pepper to keep squirrels away from your bird seed.  Doesn't bother the birds since they don't have taste buds.

I put cayenne pepper on vaseline on top of the feeders because those dang squirrels are everywhere.  It helped curb them but not eliminate.  I've seen some pretty innovative squirrels.  Time to invest in a wrist rocket and start target practice.

I have a golden retriever and yellow lab on constant "Squirrel Patrol".  They haven't caught one yet, but they do seem to keep them away pretty good.  May have to put some cayenne pepper in for the lucky squirrels that get by when the dogs are "on break" which at the age of 13 and 10 seems to be quite a bit....

I do have the boys out with bb guns to patrol the rasberry/strawberry patch also.  Although with their attenion span, not sure the dogs aren't more attentive.
Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist - Pablo Picasso

Todd

Quote from: DrSnide on May 23, 2013, 04:14:18 PM

I put cayenne pepper on vaseline on top of the feeders because those dang squirrels are everywhere.  It helped curb them but not eliminate.  I've seen some pretty innovative squirrels.  Time to invest in a wrist rocket and start target practice.

I have a golden retriever and yellow lab on constant "Squirrel Patrol".  They haven't caught one yet, but they do seem to keep them away pretty good.  May have to put some cayenne pepper in for the lucky squirrels that get by when the dogs are on break....

Am I supposed to be putting the pepper right where the food is?  I always was told to put it on top of the feeder as the Squirrels would jump on it and the vaseline helped keep the pepper on the feeder.

DrSnide

Quote from: Todd on May 23, 2013, 04:16:04 PM

I have a golden retriever and yellow lab on constant "Squirrel Patrol".  They haven't caught one yet, but they do seem to keep them away pretty good.  May have to put some cayenne pepper in for the lucky squirrels that get by when the dogs are on break....

Am I supposed to be putting the pepper right where the food is?  I always was told to put it on top of the feeder as the Squirrels would jump on it and the vaseline helped keep the pepper on the feeder.

Maybe put the pepper on the squirrels with a bit of olive oil on the grill ;D

Todd

Quote from: DrSnide on May 23, 2013, 04:17:18 PM

Outstanding!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

imnofish

Quote from: Todd on May 23, 2013, 10:28:46 PM

Better seal them in an oil-filled foil pouch.  If they dry out at all, they get tough as shoe leather. 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

DrSnide

Quote from: imnofish on May 23, 2013, 10:33:59 PM

Better seal them in an oil-filled foil pouch.  If they dry out at all, they get tough as shoe leather. 
Well Todd said he liked jerky! 8)

imnofish

Quote from: DrSnide on May 23, 2013, 11:20:46 PM
Quote from: imnofish on May 23, 2013, 10:33:59 PM

Well Todd said he liked jerky! 8)

One piece of this stuff will last a lifetime!  ;D   When it comes to squirrel, cook it long and keep it moist.  Great in a crockpot!

bigoil

Snide,

Is that center right on 29, North side of the road? If so, that place looks creepy.

Houndhead

Quote from: howavi on May 24, 2013, 05:36:07 AM
Snide,

Is that center right on 29, North side of the road? If so, that place looks creepy.

No Howavi, that is the Clark County mental health facility on 29. The Christine Center is south of Willard on county road G, then at the end of a dead end road.