hummingbird(s)

Started by TomM, May 22, 2013, 08:30:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomM

Put the feeder out today for hummingbirds... Anyone see them in Wisconsin yet this year?
Seek excellence and truth instead of fame -John Prime
Courage is grace under pressure - Ernest Hemingway
Advocating "matside weigh-in" since 1997
"That's why they wrestle the matches"

Todd

I haven't but I've had terrible luck attracting the hummingbirds and Orioles.  One of the Vets I was talking with said he had seme hummingbirds at his feeder.
"This page intentionally left blank".

jeast

Have both this year Tom.  Been in for about 2 weeks.  I have had to refill the feeders 2x.  SW corner of the State though so maybe things are a week behind there in Watertown.  Had a fun time watching the Rose Breasted Grosbeaks last weekend.  Beautiful bird in flight...and on perch. 

Good luck with attracting the birds.  They will eventually find it.  Orioles and Hummingbirds are attracted to bright colors, try tying something very bright orange or red near your feeder.  Not something too susceptable to the wind though as it might scare them. 

"Never wrestle with a strong man, nor bring a rich man to court"

TomM

AMAZING... as I type this a hummingbird arrives at the feeder!!!! What a coincidence! ha ... And ANOTHER ONE!~  What timing.

I have quite a few orioles already...  Have one of those feeders, you stick half an orange on each side and jelly in two little cups in the middle.  
Red color hummingbird feeder is suction cupped to the window and holds bright red nectar. There are many annually.

The following have visited thus far... this spring.
orioles
two kinds of woodpeckers..
indigo buntings
rose breasted gross beaks
cardinals
gold finches
english finches
white crowned finches (sparrows?)... the are only here for about two weeks... passing through.
morning doves
grackles
starlings
redwing black birds
cow birds
purple finches (house finches)
chickadees
nuthatches
robins
a smaller hawk (not a red tail)
Had a bald eagle land in my dads front yard last week... not 40 yards from me.  

Todd

Quote from: TomM on May 22, 2013, 11:13:55 AM
AMAZING... as I type this a hummingbird arrives at the feeder!!!! What a coincidence! ha ... And ANOTHER ONE!~  What timing.

I have quite a few orioles already...  Have one of those feeders, you stick half an orange on each side and jelly in two little cups in the middle.  
Red color hummingbird feeder is suction cupped to the window and holds bright red nectar. There are many annually.

The following have visited thus far... this spring.
orioles
two kinds of woodpeckers..
indigo buntings
rose breasted gross beaks
cardinals
gold finches
english finches
white crowned finches (sparrows?)... the are only here for about two weeks... passing through.
morning doves
grackles
starlings
redwing black birds
cow birds
purple finches (house finches)
chickadees
nuthatches
robins
a smaller hawk (not a red tail)
Had a bald eagle land in my dads front yard last week... not 40 yards from me.  

I'm getting inspired to get some new feeders and food.  I have great success with Cardinals (They're like sparrows here), robins, nuthatches, hawks (saw an osprey hawk one year), red wing blackbirds, chicks, finches, woodpeckers, groosbeaks and blue jays.  Would love to see some hummingbirds or orioles.  Love the Blue Jays but boy are they mean!
"This page intentionally left blank".

TomM

You reminded me... I think I've had blue jays this year too.  Not positive.

TomM

bkraus

Had a pigeon land on the clothesline the other day.
Strive for Perfection

jeast

I see hairy woodpeckers but rarely downy for some reason. 

We do have a couple of red bellied woodpeckers that come around regularly.  And of course Red headed woodies are around.  Across the way (valley) we have a breeding pair of Piliated Woodies.  Very cool birds and getting more scarce or so "they" say. 

Each fall we see some northern shrikes in our neighborhood...but only in the fall/winter months.

Haven't had an Indigo Bunting in a few years.  They sure are iridescent. 

Blue birds abound around here too.  As do the Western Meadowlarks.  My eldest son argued with me about the Eastern vs. Western Meadowlark, then one day he hears one and says, "you have Western Meadowlarks around here" to which I responded in typical 70's lingo, "No duh!"

Chris Hansen

I have had the hummingbirds for two weeks (up North) so anyone who hasn't had them just hasn't attracted them yet.  However, no Orioles yet.

You guys ever see a hummingbird moth?  Last year I saw them for my first time, I had never even heard of them.  Took a bunch of photos, etc.  Wasn't until reviewing photos that I noticed something strange - antennas!  Google'd it and found out they were moths.

On another note, you are truly old when you begin sharing bird watching stories.  So anyway, how is the weather?  Is it hot enough for you?  Anyone need a ride to the clinic?  My back hurts.

jeast

Chris, my wife and friends think I have gone soft...or south...

Kjohnson

Quote from: Chris Hansen on May 22, 2013, 02:30:50 PM
I have had the hummingbirds for two weeks (up North) so anyone who hasn't had them just hasn't attracted them yet.  However, no Orioles yet.

You guys ever see a hummingbird moth?  Last year I saw them for my first time, I had never even heard of them.  Took a bunch of photos, etc.  Wasn't until reviewing photos that I noticed something strange - antennas!  Google'd it and found out they were moths.

On another note, you are truly old when you begin sharing bird watching stories.  So anyway, how is the weather?  Is it hot enough for you?  Anyone need a ride to the clinic?  My back hurts.

Birdwatching is still ok, it

imnofish

Quote from: TomM on May 22, 2013, 08:30:44 AM
Put the feeder out today for hummingbirds... Anyone see them in Wisconsin yet this year?

Yes, I have 2 of them on my boat - one installed on the bow and one on the stern.  Oops, thought you meant Humminbird.   ;)
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

imnofish

While drinking my coffee this morning about 6 o'clock, a pair of mourning doves perched on my deck rail.  Also saw a flicker picking bugs, etc. from the lawn.  Much better sight than that one lonely robin sitting on a snowdrift in my back yard a few weeks ago! 
None are so hopelessly enslaved, as those who falsely believe they are free. The truth has been kept from the depth of their minds by masters who rule them with lies. -Johann Von Goethe

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

TomM

Quote from: imnofish on May 22, 2013, 05:45:35 PM
Quote from: TomM on May 22, 2013, 08:30:44 AM

Yes, I have 2 of them on my boat - one installed on the bow and one on the stern.  Oops, thought you meant Humminbird.   ;)
Love fishing, but hardly ever go..  :-[
Had to do a search for 'humminbird' ...  :D