Refs

Started by Wrestlologist, February 28, 2016, 05:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatever

Quote from: Ghetto on February 29, 2016, 07:57:43 AM
Probably because there is no such thing as a defensive takedown or nearfall. Guessing that's why it wasn't called.

😂😂😂

That's a pretty good guess, Ghetto...😆
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

bkraus

Defensive takedown actually has a technical term.  Reversal!   :P
Strive for Perfection

Troy Grindle

Quote from: Quack on February 28, 2016, 06:40:12 PM
Quote from: woody53 on February 28, 2016, 06:29:59 PM
Quote from: npope on February 28, 2016, 06:27:26 PM
In arguably the most visible match of the entire tournament, the assistant ref waived off a locked hands call by the head ref in the Kitly v. Anglin match.
It is very hard to see them Zach is in the neutral (standing) position. You have to know his body actions. The correct call was made.

That match had be tough to officiate

After watching the replay on track of the match it clearly looked like there was a second locked hands call that both refs initially indicated then the assistant ref waved it off in the third overtime.  At the time Zach was in his "standing position" but his standing position is on his knees.  By the letter of the rule book wouldn't it be locked hands at anytime on him in that position when you are trying to mat return him with or without an arm because he is actually on his knees?  Curious how the refs would look at this? 
And then there was that.

foose4

Quote from: Troy Grindle on February 29, 2016, 04:09:09 PM

After watching the replay on track of the match it clearly looked like there was a second locked hands call that both refs initially indicated then the assistant ref waved it off in the third overtime.  At the time Zach was in his "standing position" but his standing position is on his knees.  By the letter of the rule book wouldn't it be locked hands at anytime on him in that position when you are trying to mat return him with or without an arm because he is actually on his knees?  Curious how the refs would look at this? 

This was discussed last year also.  The officials deemed him when on his knees "Standing" and not "Kneeling" so you can make the calls pertaining to takedowns and locked hands.  Had to be discussed ahead of time and reffed as discussed.
"Winning is not everything, but the effort to win is."
Zig Ziglar

Troy Grindle

Is this a rule that just Wisconsin is using for this specific wrestler or is this a national rule?
And then there was that.

Pheasant 1984

Quote from: foose4 on February 29, 2016, 04:18:52 PM
Quote from: Troy Grindle on February 29, 2016, 04:09:09 PM

This clears it up for me then! I was also curious!

This was discussed last year also.  The officials deemed him when on his knees "Standing" and not "Kneeling"
so you can make the calls pertaining to takedowns and locked hands.  Had to be discussed ahead of time and reffed as discussed.
You are only as good as you practice! Practice like a champion to become a champion!

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Why did the WIAA introduce the refs before the state finals?

Apparently this is more important than introducing the state finalists? 

Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

woody53

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on March 01, 2016, 01:03:24 AM

That has been done for years. Each Finalist is introduced before their match.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

Army Ant

Quote from: Troy Grindle on February 29, 2016, 06:31:35 PM
Is this a rule that just Wisconsin is using for this specific wrestler or is this a national rule?

National rules don't address this situation. For him, there was no difference between being on his knees and being on his "feet" so you have to make a special interpretation for that situation.

Wisconsin Wrestling Fan

Quote from: woody53 on March 01, 2016, 01:08:56 AM

That does not make it right just because it has been done that way for years.  Every finalist used to be introduced prior to the whole meet "and" prior to their match. Personally I would rather see the handshake introduction before the meet than the video they had.
Kirk Nelson
Badger Wrestling Team 1983-1984
UW-Madison. BBA Degree. Marketing Major.
Fennimore High School http://rvwrestlingalum.com/Programs/1982_files/145.pdf

woody53

Quote from: Wisconsin Wrestling Fan on March 01, 2016, 08:35:41 AM
Quote from: woody53 on March 01, 2016, 01:08:56 AM

That does not make it right just because it has been done that way for years.  Every finalist used to be introduced prior to the whole meet "and" prior to their match. Personally I would rather see the handshake introduction before the meet than the video they had.
Do you know how long that would take. We are in a TV time guidance program. I have been part of the State Tournament for 41 years. They stopped introducing the individuals before the start way back in the 80's because of the repetitiveness of it.

woody53

So you don't like the fact they introduced the Officials? Again they have been doing it for years. Why don't you like it now?

maggie

it's also an honor for the officials to be officiating at the tournament just as it is for the participants themselves...why would anyone have a problem with that?... ::)
--------------------------------------
and a joint was a bad place to be.
        stupid quotes from friends
"" I Trust Fox News more than any other source""--FAN
  ""I am sorry i called you a genius'"'-HOUND
"" Teachers brought this on all by themselves, plain and simple-RAMMY

MarkK

I had no problem with any of the introductions.  Took away nothing from the wrestling and it was fine.  The wrestlers go their due at the beginning of the match and on the podium.  Not much more is needed.  Seems like a solution looking for a problem.
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

DocWrestling

The officials take great pride in being selected for state.  They earned it and deserve the recognition.  It is my understanding that many are retiring and wrestling is going to be hurting for officials with great experience in those big matches.
Of Course, this is only my opinion and no one elses!