Do you think it's time for a change? (Poll)

Started by leg turk, January 30, 2018, 02:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What say you, do we need a change at the top in the UW Wrestling room?

Yes, it's time for a fresh start.
No, leave Barry alone.

Badgerfan

I know it's time for a change when I see a school like South Dakota State ranked ahead of us. I think Ben Askren would make the wrestling room fun, but at the same time, I think he would push guys harder. I don't think Barry is a very good judge of potential at the college level. He's missed horribly on some very good instate talent.I too don't believe Ben would be given a chance, so it would be interesting to see where BA would look to bring in someone new.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: Badgerfan on January 31, 2018, 07:36:37 PM
I know it's time for a change when I see a school like South Dakota State ranked ahead of us. I think Ben Askren would make the wrestling room fun, but at the same time, I think he would push guys harder. I don't think Barry is a very good judge of potential at the college level. He's missed horribly on some very good instate talent.I too don't believe Ben would be given a chance, so it would be interesting to see where BA would look to bring in someone new.

Why does this surprise you, Bono is the real deal!!!

Grapl

BuckyMatt....I never thought I would see the day  8)  The comment of the raise being the best part of the job was the final nail in the coffin for me!

leg turk

Quote from: Grapl on January 31, 2018, 10:19:24 PM
BuckyMatt....I never thought I would see the day  8)  The comment of the raise being the best part of the job was the final nail in the coffin for me!

For those that have not seen the quote...

What's your favorite moment as a Wisconsin coach?

"There's been a lot of them. Pretty much every day's a favorite moment because I'm doing what I love to do. My favorite moment is probably this: Every year, when Coach (UW Director of Athletics Barry) Alvarez sends me a contract renewal. That's Coach Alvarez saying, 'We'd love to have you back.' I appreciate it. My favorite moment is when he says, 'Let's have a meeting. Let's have a review. Let's put that extra year on your contract.' That's my favorite moment."

Full interview here..
http://uwbadgers.com/news/2017/2/21/wrestling-badgering-barry-davis.aspx

MNbadger

I assume he said this as it reassures him that he is doing a good job running the program.  I don't see this comment the way others do.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrastle63

Quote from: MNbadger on February 01, 2018, 07:19:11 AM
I assume he said this as it reassures him that he is doing a good job running the program.  I don't see this comment the way others do.
Yea but others twist and turn what he says to fit what they think.

bigoil

Quote from: wrastle63 on February 01, 2018, 07:39:34 AM
Quote from: MNbadger on February 01, 2018, 07:19:11 AM
I assume he said this as it reassures him that he is doing a good job running the program.  I don't see this comment the way others do.
Yea but others twist and turn what he says to fit what they think.

Regardless of any other meaning, if you've been at your job for 25 years, that is the best moment? Not the champions you have seen crowned, or the kids graduated, or a comeback story, etc.

Barou

Quote from: Bob Hartley on January 31, 2018, 11:58:23 AM
Schakerag, Big Ten schools have no requirement to host wrestling. Wisconsin can drop wrestling at any time. That could make a wrestling fan worry.

Wrestler73, I don't believe Ben Askren is interested in the UW head wrestling coaching job. He is smart enough to know and be aware he probably iced any chance he would have of even getting an interview at UW, even if a position opens up. I think he knows exactly what he is doing when he behaves that way in public. A person can't come on a public forum like this and make the insulting comments towards others he has made and and expect an entity like the UW athletic department to be interested in hiring him. There are many parts to character and that is an area he appears to be weak in. He was a good wrstler, good promoter, has a nice wrestling business, is good with little kids. If you desire to get a job somewhere, don't say the 'wrong'  things online. Sorry, but that ship ain't going to sail.

Askren's comments on this pretty much imply he would take the job.
JHI Mafia

GradeTough

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on February 01, 2018, 09:40:15 AM
Quote from: Barou on February 01, 2018, 09:13:22 AM
Askrens' comments on this pretty much imply he would take the job.

That's true.

I think what Bob was saying is that Ben's statement, that he'd take the job, is just lip service. That Ben's behavior would prevent him from ever getting the job, and that Ben knows that.

Right or wrong, I think that's what Bob is saying.

1000+
High character and the ability to represent the university in public with high regard is important to universities.

Barou

Quote from: GradeTough on February 01, 2018, 10:09:28 AM

That's true.

I think what Bob was saying is that Ben's statement, that he'd take the job, is just lip service. That Ben's behavior would prevent him from ever getting the job, and that Ben knows that.

1000+
High character and the ability to represent the university in public with high regard is important to universities.

Curious, with some of BD's comments over the years where do you gauge his character?
JHI Mafia

bigoil

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on February 01, 2018, 08:46:12 AM
Man. It sure does make your point that you've figured out how to re-size words. Thanks for that.

Have you all not heard how wrestlers talk? Their goal is to say nothing. That's why his first answer was this: "Pretty much every day's a favorite moment because I'm doing what I love to do."

I guess, so bigoil can understand...

Pretty much every day's a favorite moment because I'm doing what I love to do.

He knows that if he points out one wrestler's achievement, it puts every other wrestlers' achievements below them, by proxy. His answer is the same nothing answer every wrestler gives when asked what this match means, "I just try to go out there and wrestle hard every match, and hopefully at the end the referee raises my hand." He's just saying he works hard everyday, and when he gets his contract renewal, that's the referee letting him know he's done well.

You guys, man. When you have a vendetta, h*ll hath no fury like message boarder scorned.

I have and continue to support BD as he is the UW coach.

I have defended BD because of what we have learned over the years from the likes of Hammen on how the UW program is hamstrung in support from the UW. Limits on roster size, facilities, coaching staff size, etc.

Most of those walls have been knocked down and the expectation to improve upon our finishes isn't unreasonable. I do not plan on the UW ever being Iowa but it would be great if we strived for that and wound up 4th in the B10 consistently (which would mean some 6ths and some 2nds).

GradeTough

Quote from: Barou on February 01, 2018, 10:15:43 AM
Quote from: GradeTough on February 01, 2018, 10:09:28 AM

That's true.

Not a fan of BD.

1000+

Curious, with some of BD's comments over the years where do you gauge his character?

bigoil

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on February 01, 2018, 10:53:25 AM
Quote from: bigoil on February 01, 2018, 10:35:37 AM
I do not plan on the UW ever being Iowa but it would be great if we strived for that and wound up 4th in the B10 consistently (which would mean some 6ths and some 2nds).

Like, we wouldn't beat Iowa, but 2nds in the Big Ten would be beating Ohio State and Penn State, then. I just don't see that.

Competing with Michigan and Minnesota, in the second tier of the Big 10, ahead of Northwestern, Nebraska, Illinois and the Scarlett Donnys would be well within reach. In my opinion, anyway.
Certainly not this year but from time to time I'd think it would be possible. Those 2 are so incredibly lopsided better than the rest of the country. PSU has 5 returning champs and tOSU is ranked higher. Kyle Snyder won't wrestle at tOSU forever :).

Barou

Quote from: Japanese Whizzer on February 01, 2018, 11:09:22 AM
Quote from: bigoil on February 01, 2018, 11:07:12 AM
Kyle Snyder won't wrestle at tOSU forever :).

Too bad. Can't we get JHI in college, just to get one Gable Stevenson/Kyle Snyder match in the NCAA Finals?

Steveson
JHI Mafia

Razor Ramon

Askren is the only name really mentioned. Yea, it would be great and the program would get a ridiculous amount of press. Certain people have questioned his character just because he speaks his mind and at times it probably has come off as too much.

Barry Alvarez has shown, based on current hires in the athletic department, that he would prefer a Head Coach who is more reserved in addition to a proven track record. Which brings me to Jeff Jordan. I've never looked into it, but has he explored moving up into coaching college? And would UW be a job that would interest him, and would the University consider him? Being a UW Alum, and a proven track record that he can produce some of the nations best teams and wrestlers, I would be thrilled to see Jeff Jordan as an option.