Badger RTC on the forum

Started by TylerBRTC, June 23, 2017, 10:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TylerBRTC

I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself and tell you a little about the Badger RTC.

My name is Tyler Turner and I have been the Executive Director of the BRTC for just about six months now. I have always had a love for the sport of wrestling and the state of WI. I had the privilege to wrestle for UW-Madison from 2002-2007 (In 2007 I finished my college career 6th at the NCAA Championships in Detroit.) and I took a year in 2008 to continue my wrestling career training for freestyle while I finished my student teaching and my wife graduated college.

Since finishing my career in 2008 I joined staff with a sports ministry called Athletes in Action in January 2009. I couldn't shake the love of the sport when we went to NJ to work at Rutgers University for 2 years. As soon as I stepped onto that campus I was welcomed with open arms into the Scarlet Knight wrestling room by Head Coach Goodale, Assistant Leonardis, and Coach Pollard. It was a great time being the volunteer coach and traveling with the team while working to build into those young men. I learned a lot from our time at Rutgers that I brought back with me returning to Madison in 2012

When we moved back to Madison it was again an honor to be welcomed into the room with open arms to help the guys continue their maturity and development by Coaches Davis, Brandvold, and Ruschell. It has been awesome to work alongside them and to work with the guys on the team.

There are many other things to say but those are for other posts. I wanted to make all who are reading this aware that I will be checking the forum periodically, posting periodically, giving updates, and inviting you to our event through this forum. This is not to scare you from posting your thoughts and questions, but to let you know that I welcome them and would be happy to explain whatever you want to hear about to the best of my abilities. We, as a staff, have thought long and hard about the direction and reasons for doing what we are doing and would love to get a dialogue going if needed.

My heart is that you get to know me, the BRTC, the wrestlers that are training full time, and that we open a "forum" on what is happening. I am trying to lead this thing in different ways than the past and having you guys involved in the conversation is a part of the direction we need to go.

I do have to make this caveat, my main focus is the BRTC not UW. Yes they are connected, but they are not the same thing/one entity. The BRTC is a separate non-profit for becoming a world level training center with a purpose. It supports and cultivates passionate wrestlers and courageous men. It is not the UW so there are certain things I will not be able to speak on or it wouldn't be appropriate for me to speak on.

So ask away, give your ideas, and get those tickets to the steak fry on August 3rd to support the Badger RTC working towards world success!
https://www.badgerrtc.org/steak-fry

Tyler Turner

PS - Here is our latest newsletter sent out last week for a quick glimpse into the World Team Trials and the state of the BRTC.
http://mailchi.mp/72d75df2e797/steak-fry

dad 2 5

Thanks Tyler for your work and this clear message. May you grow the BRTC and pour into guys lives

woody53

Bravo Tyler. As a fan and wrestler/coach in Wisconsin, I feel great to have you continue your dream of making Wisconsin Wrestling better.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

jchap

Hi Tyler,

Is this a Christian, or otherwise religious-based, organization?  There was some debate on another thread regarding the logo and whether there was a cross in it.

Thanks,

Joel Chapman

TylerBRTC

Thanks for asking that question jchap. I have actually gotten asked it a few times and there are usually two reasons for that questions:
1. The people know me and know that I work for Athletes in Action, a Christian based sports ministry. So they think ... I am leading it, it could be Christian.
2. the "cross" in the logo

I will answer your question very clearly. In no way is this a Christian (or any other religion) organization. Badger Regional Training Center is a nonprofit amateur sports organization that has a specific purposes which includes "to develop amateur athletes for national and international competition in sports, specifically competitive wrestling" (taken straight from bylaws of the BRTC)

We welcome wrestlers who fit the criteria put forth by USA wrestling that have any (or no) belief system. It is that simple.

Let me write specifically about the "cross" in the logo. The answer to is there a cross in the logo is yes and no. That is what is great about a logo. It is open to interpretation.

Lastly, let me write a little about identity of an organization (or purpose to answer thedecider's question). This is one of the five components of a successful RTC. Think about the RTCs or clubs around the country. Which ones are doing well? Those that have an identity and purpose. When you go to Iowa, you know what you are going to get. When you go to MN ... you know. Ohio St... you know. Penn State... you know. Badger RTC ... ???

This was one of the issues that I noticed as I have been evaluating the RTC landscape. What is the BRTC and why would a senior level wrestler come to WI? This is one of the things we are starting to create and cultivate. It will not happen over night but it is starting to happen in small increments. You can tell the difference this off season compared to seasons past. With how passionate the guys have been in the RTC workouts and at the tournaments. Those that have shown up and given it all.

We desire to be a world level RTC that supports and cultivates passionate wrestlers and courageous men... from the top to the bottom of our organization. From the 9th grader to the coach and board of directors. A man who is passionate about wrestling and one that has the courage to do what needs to be done. A man on a journey and moving in an upward trajectory or maturity and growth.

When someone thinks about the BRTC we want them to think they will be challenged in and out of the sport to grow and mature! Guys want to be challenged to a higher level and they want people to be in their lives and speak into their lives. We don't want to be an organization that only produces good wrestlers... but one that produces great men, fathers, husbands, coaches, and sons! To go beyond the mat...

This is an identity that senior level guys want to be a part of. One that is unique and different than other RTCs. This identity has kept some people around and we are already having conversations to this end for next year! Some of this has to do with our connections around the country with Athletes in Action and some has to do with the momentum built in the past six months. We believe this identity will translate to something WI fans can grab onto and we can take it to the ends of the earth.

That was more than you wanted but there you go. Not a religious organization but it does have a purpose. A purpose to support and cultivate passionate wrestlers and courageous men.

www.badgerrtc.org

MNbadger

So.... is it or insn't it?  You should probably lose the cross.
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan
"Obama thinks we should all be on welfare."  BigG
"MN will eventually go the way of Greece." Wraslfan

wrastle63

Quote from: MNbadger on June 26, 2017, 10:43:44 PM
So.... is it or insn't it?  You should probably lose the cross.
Clearly answered.

MNbadger

OK, he said yes and no. I am reading that as a yes.  How are you reading it?
I would like to reach through the screen and slap the next person who starts a thread about "global warming." Wraslfan

bigoil

Thank you Tyler, this is a great start, hope you can keep the momentum.

As for the cross, he clearly stated it is not a religious symbol, crosses can and are used in logos for effect, connecting, etc. I believe the American Red Cross is not a religious organization, do you want them to hit up changing their logo too?

jchap

Quote from: bigoil on June 27, 2017, 07:42:11 AM
Thank you Tyler, this is a great start, hope you can keep the momentum.

As for the cross, he clearly stated it is not a religious symbol, crosses can and are used in logos for effect, connecting, etc. I believe the American Red Cross is not a religious organization, do you want them to hit up changing their logo too?
Reading comprehension!  He said the logo is open to interpretation.

jchap

Thanks for your reply Tyler.  This is an exciting time for Wisconsin wrestling.  Going beyond the mat, what kind of programs and services are you providing that help turn the senior level wrestlers into good men, husbands, fathers, etc?  This is the area that can make you unique compared to the other RTCs.

Tims

Lose the cross in the logo for what reason? 

dman

MNbadger

Lose the cross because it denotes a religious (Christian) bent. Claiming the "cross" is open to interpretation is too clever by half. 
If this is the direction you/they want for the club so be it. 
The idea that one can't become better fathers, men, sons, and coaches without religion is ignorant and inappropriate term01.

Tims

The Badger Rtc has clearly stated it has nothing to do with religion but the fact it has a cross in the design can be your own interpretation of what you want it to be.  I am a Christian, Who oddly enough didn't see that cross as being religious. 

Tim Spray