Penn St, 1-27-2017

Started by leg turk, January 17, 2017, 08:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: knight/purgolder on January 17, 2017, 09:14:51 PM
Your pride is getting in the way of reality! I think you are wrong on the backup at 65 and wrong of course with RR.  I think Cael will have Joseph wrestle just to get that better seed at the Big 10s. Why be on IMAR's side and have a better chance at placing high.

IMAR will be the 2 seed

Ivan Stankowski

NO!! The young man from Michigan, Logan Massa

Ivan Stankowski

True!! I will take Massa in the dual and IMAR at nationals to win it

leg turk

billymurphy

I watched Logan Massa wrestle recently.
I think he wins nationals THIS year. 

Ivan Stankowski

I watched Logan Massa wrestle recently.
I think he wins nationals THIS year.

I wouldn't bet against that comment, Massa is the real deal!!

Micah

Quote from: Huckfinn on January 17, 2017, 09:04:02 PM
Quote from: knight/purgolder on January 17, 2017, 08:48:13 PMHow many chips do you got to put on RR winning? I'll take that bet!

I've already staked the greatest prize of all: my pride.      I make these bets:

Stickley beats Penn State mystery meat at 33
Guilibon beats Martin at 41
Penn State wrestles a backup @65,  angering all
RR wins by 3 points
Medberry ignores my expectations and wrestles a tactical match.

I agree I don't think the 165 match happens, however, Cael doesn't usually sit guys.  I think PSU wins 133 even if a backup wrestles.  I think RR will lose something like 7-4, if he can't match McCutch's pace it turns into a major. 

gijd

I've watched 3 matches of Massa this year and have to say he looks very good. The kid is solid in all positions and very smooth on the feet. It wouldn't surprise me either if he wins ncaa's. I would never count out Zeke, he may get tagged with a loss or two yet, but come NCAA'S he could run the table just like any of the other top 4-5. Big Tens will be fun to watch for sure. Watched Penn State's backup 133 last Friday and was not overly impressed as he got beat easily. I think ES wins that one.

hammen

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/wrestling/article_165ba9ce-ddfa-11e6-9c97-3fdf02ea9c5e.html

Looks like Cortez is done for the year. It'll be interesting if PSU has Gulibon go down to 133; however, it may be in his best interest to stay at 141 - 133 in the Big 10 is brutally stacked, and Gulibon has been successful (although inconsistent) at 141. Not sure who they have as a 141 back-up either.

Micah

Quote from: hammen on January 19, 2017, 06:50:37 AM
http://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/wrestling/article_165ba9ce-ddfa-11e6-9c97-3fdf02ea9c5e.html

Looks like Cortez is done for the year. It'll be interesting if PSU has Gulibon go down to 133; however, it may be in his best interest to stay at 141 - 133 in the Big 10 is brutally stacked, and Gulibon has been successful (although inconsistent) at 141. Not sure who they have as a 141 back-up either.

Wonder if this will cause Cael to pull Hall's RS?

Handles II

Why would an opening at 133/141 equate to pulling Hall's redshirt at 174? Curious on the thinking.

My opinion, no way he pulls the redshirt other than an injury at 174. Hall is the future.

wrastle63

Quote from: Handles II on January 20, 2017, 11:46:25 AM
Why would an opening at 133/141 equate to pulling Hall's redshirt at 174? Curious on the thinking.

My opinion, no way he pulls the redshirt other than an injury at 174. Hall is the future.
Would pull it because they might get nothing at 33 now as compared to some points. Pulling Hall would add points obviously. I don't think they will though.

Ivan Stankowski

Quote from: wrastle63 on January 20, 2017, 12:00:45 PM

Would pull it because they might get nothing at 33 now as compared to some points. Pulling Hall would add points obviously. I don't think they will though.

What is the process of pulling a RS? Is the NCAA contacted? What is stopping the Badgers from putting JJ Redshirt back on? This stuff is all foreign to me only reason I am asking.

Micah

Exactly, they are losing all the points 133 would have scored.  If Cael wants a title he will have to pull Hall's RS to make up for the lost points.  I think they pull the RS unless they don't think pulling the RS puts them in title contention.

imwi

Quote from: Micah on January 20, 2017, 12:17:55 PM

Exactly, they are losing all the points 133 would have scored.  If Cael wants a title he will have to pull Hall's RS to make up for the lost points.  I think they pull the RS unless they don't think pulling the RS puts them in title contention.

I don't know the behind the scenes requirements but the way I understand it, once JJ wrestled this year in singlet that had the W on it, he can not go back to being a redshirt.  I think in football, it's possible to do something like that if you get injured and have only played a certain amount of games but in wrestling, once you wrestle for the team, not unattached, you're done.