Big Announcement

Started by H. Hogan, September 17, 2016, 10:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody53

Quote from: CLC FAN on September 19, 2016, 06:27:45 PM
Quote from: woody53 on September 19, 2016, 06:05:53 PM
Congratulations Trevor. Well Earned and deserved.

Now to all the Smart ash comments before this. What do you all have to say?

Love TB.  Think Eppert will only help us.... but the his constitutes a change?  A big announcement?  To an admittedly casual fan, this doesn't seem like big doings.
And lets have another rip on the program. It seems with out Barry gone, no matter what the program does, there will be discontent. Trevor and Expert being promoted is a Big Deal.
Fast cars, drag race. Fast Drivers, Road Race!

benaskren

Woody53.

This is the first time I have ever posted on the badgers board, if giving 2 people already in your program new titles constitutes a "change" and "big announcement" that says a lot about the state of your program.

I mean when someone leads with "big announcement" aren't your expectations higher??? I was thinking maybe they would be bringing in new athletes to the RTC or had a big verbal commitment to announce.
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

gijd

I agree with Ben, I too was thinking a big recruit. Congratulations to Trevor, he's a good guy.

head57

Coaches can't comment on student athletes until they have officially signed. There was zero chance this was an announcement of a big-time verbal commitment.
thats the bottom line
On Wisconsin!

benaskren

head

The coach would not need to make the announcement if it was coming from the athlete and/or media outlet(Flo). 
Ben Askren
Founder and Owner at AWA
askrenbros@gmail.com
www.awawisconsin.com

crossface21

Glad for Branvold, but a serious question: what exactly changes? New titles, great. But what is different besides that? I'm not be vicious, I'm really asking.

BuckyMatt

Love TB, have long supported Barry, but agree that if this is a "big change", we need a new dictionary

hammen

While I agree with y'all that this is not a big change or change at all currently, I think it is more so big news regarding the future of the program. The athletic department handled this in the same manner as when Donny got the same promotion about 10 years ago, except there was no Twitter (I think?) for such a "pre" announcement.

BuckyMatt

Quote from: hammen on September 19, 2016, 08:12:59 PM
While I agree with y'all that this is not a big change or change at all currently, I think it is more so big news regarding the future of the program. The athletic department handled this in the same manner as when Donny got the same promotion about 10 years ago, except there was no Twitter (I think?) for such a "pre" announcement.

True but TB should not automatically get the position when BD decides to retire. Alvarez owes it to the fans and the athletic department to do a comprehensive, national coaching search. If after he does that, he decides Trevor is the right person, Great! Or maybe Davis did this so he can retire mid year and Trevor can go undefeated in the Big 10 and force Alvarez's hand like Gard did😜

wrestler_73

Big Yawner....same old same old....Good luck to Trevor, great guy and perhaps will be a great head coach some day.  Woody and others that follow blindly and take great offense to those that question two decades of mediocrity....take a look at other consistent top ten programs and what they are doing and what their fans expect from them....we expect what we have as a wrestling community....ok...vanilla pudding

Numbers

Quote from: leg turk on September 19, 2016, 04:19:35 PM
Quote from: DocWrestling on September 19, 2016, 03:34:06 PM
State of UW wrestling!

I went back to Barry Davis tweet to see if there was any update.  No update but then I saw the stats and that tells you all you need to know about UW wrestling excitement.

His tweet only generated 3 retweets and 11 likes.  That is not even the whole team who must be following him and I would think are excited about this announcement?  For those not on twitter that is horribly bad!

And now no announcement?

How about this one...

Twitter followers for Barry Davis - 106
Twitter followers for Cael Sanderson - 53,700

Trevor Brandvold - 288
Badger Wrestling - 10,200

Adding Ben Askren to the Wisconsin program with his 49,300 followers would have been big news.  I am happy the Badger program realizes how important Trevor is to the program.

Numbers

Quote from: benaskren on September 19, 2016, 04:05:20 PM
So what is the announcement???  I was waiting to hear.

If you guys didn't see we had a big announcement today  ;D

https://www.facebook.com/askrenbros/photos/a.200350116651178.51756.185074871512036/1300995729919939/?type=3&theater

This should only help Wisconsin wrestling at the college level in the future.  Unless the wresters in the northeast part of the start attending Missouri :o  The AWA logo uses the Badger wrestling colors so send all those AWA kids to the mat this winter with miniature Badger singlets ;D

npope

Quote from: BuckyMatt on September 19, 2016, 08:34:38 PM
Quote from: hammen on September 19, 2016, 08:12:59 PM

True but TB should not automatically get the position when BD decides to retire. Alvarez owes it to the fans and the athletic department to do a comprehensive, national coaching search. If after he does that, he decides Trevor is the right person, Great! Or maybe Davis did this so he can retire mid year and Trevor can go undefeated in the Big 10 and force Alvarez's hand like Gard did😜

Being a position as a state employee, I am pretty sure that all such openings are required to be open to public application, e.g., that the position be posted publicly and open to anyone who chooses to apply. More than anything, I think the title merely reveals the support (intent?) of the individual by the athletic department.
Merely having an opinion doesn't necessarily make it a good one

Nat Pope

bigG

Quote from: woody53 on September 19, 2016, 06:05:53 PM
Congratulations Trevor. Well Earned and deserved.

Now to all the Smart ash comments before this. What do you all have to say?

I'd say good for Trevor. Great guy. Big news in his world. Not really "big" news to me, as I would have expected as much. He's paid the price and earned it. Nice he gets the props. BIG announcement, though? I guess it's relative.
If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

bkraus

Congrats Trevor!  I am happy for him and have always found him to be a great coach and person.  Good luck in your new role!
Strive for Perfection