Whats it going to take?

Started by maggie, February 28, 2016, 08:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barou

Quote from: dad 2 5 on February 28, 2016, 02:14:17 PM
When I talk to the coaching staff they tell me they are going after in state guys. I can only go off of what they say to me. I know they are very impressed with guys like Hunter and BB and we after them hard. I know they are pursuing other in state guys right now. I personally think with Mitch on staff that has to show guys a road to national team/ Olympic team so Maggie I agree there is a lot to offer at the UW including a GREAT degree

There is most definitely a lot to offer for our in-state kids.  Strictly factual here, under Barry Davis a national title team or individual is not one of them based on 20+ years of results under BD.

Breske was a huge miss!  Likewise for MN, Hall was a huge miss!  Best of luck to both of those guys.  Looking forward to watching them succeed at the next level.
JHI Mafia

Ghetto

Quote from: Brett Favre on February 28, 2016, 03:39:24 PM
dad 2 5, the coaches may be recruiting in state talent but the bottom line is that as long as Barry Davis is there, the top kids are going elsewhere. as far as Mitch Hull, he is not a draw at all and is a waste of the $70,000/yr they are paying him
Brandvold and Rushell are good assistants but they don't have anyone to draw top recruits.

Totally disagree. Without Hull, there is no chance in Hades that we get the World Team Trials, the cadet camp, and whatever else is coming down the pike. Do you really think Mark Hall puts us on his short list without the cadet camp? We don't sniff the top top 25 list without that. The Wick's don't come halfway across the country without the camp as well. They said it directly in an interview.

I don't know Mitch Hull at all. Not one bit. He doesn't know me either. That said, he returned my email I sent him last year within one day. I will likely never have a kid that wrestles for the Badgers, yet he took time to answer every one of my concerns/questions in depth. THAT is what is missing. The personal connection with coaches in this state. And not just the Stoughton/Rapids/Kaukauna connection. There are plenty of coaches who support this sport that won't send them kids, but we'll support the program if we feel like there's a connection. I believe Mitch Hull provides that. He gets it better than the rest of the coaching staff.
As long as we are keeping score, I've got something to prove

ankle pick

Quote from: jaguarwrestler on February 28, 2016, 04:15:30 PM
when I watch Breske at state I couldn't believe we didn't give him the world to keep him.

We got a kid that beat him last year! 

Numbers

Quote from: Ghetto on February 28, 2016, 04:21:40 PM
Quote from: Brett Favre on February 28, 2016, 03:39:24 PM
dad 2 5, the coaches may be recruiting in state talent but the bottom line is that as long as Barry Davis is there, the top kids are going elsewhere. as far as Mitch Hull, he is not a draw at all and is a waste of the $70,000/yr they are paying him
Brandvold and Rushell are good assistants but they don't have anyone to draw top recruits.

Totally disagree. Without Hull, there is no chance in Hades that we get the World Team Trials, the cadet camp, and whatever else is coming down the pike. Do you really think Mark Hall puts us on his short list without the cadet camp? We don't sniff the top top 25 list without that. The Wick's don't come halfway across the country without the camp as well. They said it directly in an interview.

I don't know Mitch Hull at all. Not one bit. He doesn't know me either. That said, he returned my email I sent him last year within one day. I will likely never have a kid that wrestles for the Badgers, yet he took time to answer every one of my concerns/questions in depth. THAT is what is missing. The personal connection with coaches in this state. And not just the Stoughton/Rapids/Kaukauna connection. There are plenty of coaches who support this sport that won't send them kids, but we'll support the program if we feel like there's a connection. I believe Mitch Hull provides that. He gets it better than the rest of the coaching staff.

Sure Barry is old school.  How many people that finished college when Barry did are at the cutting edge of social media?  There have been plenty of discussion about the head coach.

Brandvold gets it.  I believe Kyle does as well.  Let's not lump the whole coaching staff together.

Is Mitch Hull the program solution for national trophies?  No, not by himself.  Yet the Badgers are very lucky to have him on board with the RTC.  I say Mitch is worth every penny of $70,000 (if that is the amount).  If you have suggestions to improve the future of the Badger wrestling program, Mitch will listen and explore.  I have also emailed him comments that were returned with quality responses.  Mitch may not be the reason wrestlers choose to come to Madison, but he is the reason some came to Madison for something wrestling related.  (Easier to recruit a kid that has already been to your city.)  There is a reason there were positive comments from coaches across the country when Madison hosted Big Tens and the World Team Trials - MITCH HULL.

billymurphy

when I watch Breske at state I couldn't believe we didn't give him the world to keep him.

We got a kid that beat him last year!

And yet, is there any doubt in the world that Breske will have a better career than
the kid that beat Breske last year?   It is a matter of evaluating talent. Some
coaches can evaluate talent, some can't.
Breske is a high level recruit.  Higher level recruit than Sueflohn was, but not
as high as Dieringer. 

Black Cloud

Breske is the only wrestler I saw at the state tournament that I thought would have an impact at the Division 1 college level.

Dale Einerson

If there are 54 Division 1 schools, then we should have a less than 2% chance of keeping in state talent.

I am sure Breske got a full ride wherever he was offered...so, Wisconsin could only match. 

I will cheer for Marko and Breske and Sueflohn and Dieringer and all other Wisconsin high school graduates that wrestle at the next level, except, when they wrestle Wisconsin.

Micah

Quote from: Dale Einerson on February 29, 2016, 08:32:00 AM

If there are 54 Division 1 schools, then we should have a less than 2% chance of keeping in state talent.

I am sure Breske got a full ride wherever he was offered...so, Wisconsin could only match. 

I will cheer for Marko and Breske and Sueflohn and Dieringer and all other Wisconsin high school graduates that wrestle at the next level, except, when they wrestle Wisconsin.

The 2% chance only works if every school offered and every school offered the same amount of money.  There is a good chance many schools didn't offer and if they did it was a partial scholarship.  With only 9.9 scholarships it is easy to get your money tied up fast.  A PSU for example with young guys at his weight already and lots of good young guys may have their money tied up and skip offering. (That was just an example, no idea if PSU offered or not)  I am sure Beau had lots of options and full rides but can't assume every school offered the same deal.

whatever

Quote from: Micah on February 29, 2016, 08:47:25 AM

The 2% chance only works if every school offered and every school offered the same amount of money.  There is a good chance many schools didn't offer and if they did it was a partial scholarship.  With only 9.9 scholarships it is easy to get your money tied up fast.  A PSU for example with young guys at his weight already and lots of good young guys may have their money tied up and skip offering. (That was just an example, no idea if PSU offered or not)  I am sure Beau had lots of options and full rides but can't assume every school offered the same deal.

If you're gonna nitpick the smallest details and ignore the general premise, you could also point out that there are actually 73 D1 wrestling programs......
"....the older I get, the better I was....."

Barou

With one D1 school in the state I guess I would have figured they would have better than a 2% chance recruiting an in-state recruit.
JHI Mafia

lizard king

Getting the top recruits is a challenge, producing talent is also a struggle, but we need to do one or the other better.

Micah

Quote from: whatever on February 29, 2016, 08:51:45 AM
Quote from: Micah on February 29, 2016, 08:47:25 AM

The 2% chance only works if every school offered and every school offered the same amount of money.  There is a good chance many schools didn't offer and if they did it was a partial scholarship.  With only 9.9 scholarships it is easy to get your money tied up fast.  A PSU for example with young guys at his weight already and lots of good young guys may have their money tied up and skip offering. (That was just an example, no idea if PSU offered or not)  I am sure Beau had lots of options and full rides but can't assume every school offered the same deal.

If you're gonna nitpick the smallest details and ignore the general premise, you could also point out that there are actually 73 D1 wrestling programs......

I am well aware of the number of D1 schools and was focusing on the premise.  That's why I stated if all offers are equal and programs are equal there is much greater chance than 2% he picks WI. A school like the Citadel probably sent him a letter, maybe even called, but if he showed no interest they aren't going to put resources into recruiting him.  The number of schools that actually had money available to offer a full ride is probably smaller than we think.  Even football can't offer everyone with scholarship limitations, now imagine wrestling with less than 10 and that is if a program is fully funded.

lizard king

Expecting WI kids to stay in state is not realistic.  The coaches need to talk to these kids.  Even if they tell them "we can not give you much, if any money, but will help with possible academic money and we would love to have you."  As, simple as that sounds, I know at least a couple good kids that never got that call, letter, or contact of any kind.  You never know, some may come?

jchap

Quote from: coconut joe on February 29, 2016, 10:39:43 AM
Quote from: maggie on February 28, 2016, 08:28:26 AM
to somehow keep some of these top Wis high school wrestlers in state?....i know we all have a choice, but why not staty right here and become a NCAA Champion?...Wis is a great Wrestling school to do just that, some of the best coaches in the nation as well as a great head coach and facility.....and it's close to home witch always seems to play a huge part in kids who leave the nest for the first time...we have to let these Parents and kids both know, that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence....STAY HOME AND WRESTLE!!.... >:(

When is the last time a Milton kid stayed home and went to UW-Madison?
That heavyweight about 15 years ago.  Beat Wes Hand at B1G to become a NQ.

wrestler_73

Going back to the original title of this thread...What's it going to take to bring in the big recruits in state or out of state

It's going to take someone that:
*Connects with High School Coaches-Mitch, Brandvold, etc are great-but the Head Coach is critical
*Name carries weight with recruits-30 years ago BD's name meant something-not anymore.  It's not about age as much as relevance
*Understand the importance of fundraising and promotion-Someone that has new ideas to improve the relevance of the sport in our state

Perhaps I run with a rougher crowd down at the state tournament...but...there was a lot of people that have had it with our current situation.